Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ranking the Best Playoffs' since 2000

So the talk about how the playoffs suck in the GT (which they do), got me thinking about the best playoffs since the Millenium. This isn't TOO thought out, pretty much right off the bat, so I could be swayed into other directions with more info on the years.

Basically, as always, this means best like in terms of drama, whats at stake, superstars (names that go down in the books), excitement, quality of play...

2006 playoffs > 2011 playoffs > 2003 playoffs > 2014 playoffs > 2004 playoffs > 2005 playoffs > 2013 playoffs > 2002 playoffs > 2012 playoffs > 2000 playoffs > 2008 playoffs > 2009 playoffs > 2015 playoffs > 2001 playoffs > 2010 playoffs > 2016 playoffs

In terms of tiers (first tier=epic, second tier=near epic, third tier=great, fourth tier=nice, fith tier=meh, underwhelming)

2006 playoffs
    2011 playoffs
    2003 playoffs

2014 playoffs
    2004 playoffs
    2005 playoffs
    2013 playoffs

2002 playoffs
    2012 playoffs
    2000 playoffs
    2008 playoffs
    2009 playoffs
    2015 playoffs

2001 playoffs

2010 playoffs
    2016 playoffs

I get the descriptions for each tier could use some refinment... also '01 standing there alone looks kinda weird but thats just off the top of my head.

2016 haven't even just been underwhelming so far. Just straight up trash.

Default Re: Ranking the Best Playoffs' since 2000

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2013 all really stand out to me. That early to mid 2000s era was very underrated with a lot of elite teams and unpredictable finishes throughout all four rounds, I felt like.

I tend to agree that 2006 was the best.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

no surprise this fakkit put all of bran's runs up top and kobes at the bottom ..

smdh.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    no surprise this fakkit put all of bran's runs up top and kobes at the bottom ..

smdh.
    I hardly noticed that.. maybe I did it subconsciously. Convince me otherwise :)

I also included his meltdown finals as #2... it aint that.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    I hardly noticed that.. maybe I did it subconsciously. Convince me otherwise :)

I also included his meltdown finals as #2... it aint that.
    sure .. but ok.

Why would 2006 be so many spots over 2010? The East and the West were both good in 2010 (this year and 2009 the only time this has happened since the 90s), and the Finals was an epic 7 game slugfest between the two most storied franchises in NBA history .. and it was a rematch of a series that had taken place just two years prior.

you have a clear bias in which youre putting all the runs dirk and bran had that were successful near the top, and most of the runs they flopped in near the bottom (notice, you did not even list 2007 here lol .. wonder why ..). And then on the flipside all the runs where kobe or curry won are at the bottom.

Youre basically just telling us what playoff runs you liked based on who you were rooting for and their level of success.

smdh.
    you realize OPs not a lebron fan right?

Try again kid.

LOL we're what, 1 or 2 games into round 2, jesus christ

Biggest knee jerk reaction forum ever hahah

Are most of you 16 or something?

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by Lebronxrings
    you realize OPs not a lebron fan right?

Try again kid.
    pretty sure he is, kid.

and then you put 2011 as number two as a reason you can claim to be unbiased, but it still gives a nice boost to your countryman lol.. its see through man, your whole plan.

Of course, this all depends on what 'you like'....

but here isnt why this is just for my 'favorites'.

Samurai Swish as '06 as best as well I believe, and he hates Dirk...

In 2012 you get the Spurs coming as a gelled machine...

sweep through the first 2 rounds, in the mean time OKC does a quick one on the defending Champions (3 close games), and swoop in the next era with their 5-game series over the old dogs in Kobe/Gasol, with another game winner...

they come to head, OKC wins out in 6 with breakout performances on all sides.... they're the next Dynasty.

Heat go through the #5 seeded Pacers in a heated series where they were down and seemingly out, you had the Wade/Spoelstra coming to head thing, the two turning it around with one of the best duo performances ever, Bird having to see it from the stands...

the Celtics ECF. The last bow from Boston. The LeBron Game 6 Massacre.

OKC going into the finals as betting favorites... 4 out of 5 close games, ending with a shellacking, and LeBron getting a historic MVP/FMVP.

Just a great post-season, great storylines...

In 2013 you have the even better Grizzlies putting a number on the Paul/Griffin Clippers... and you had a Paul Buzzer Beater (numerous close games).

The Warriors coming out party!!

Steph with UNCONSCIOUS 3rd quarters.... taking the Spurs who came off a Laker BEATDOWN that saw Tim smirk as Howard went off in game 4, to consecutive close games in SAS, an Overtime, a Manu game winner, and still come out to take game 2, in what resulted in a great 6 game series...

Grizzlies/Thunder without Westbrook, ALL 5 games contested... multiple GW's, Grizz pull out... Spurs win WCF, 2 Overtimes.

Meanwhile East poorer in the 2R this time, but another heated and tension filled Pacer battle....

and one of the best finals ever with narratives all around, game winners, clutch shots, beatdowns, historic 3 point shooting and a closeout performance for the ages.....

2006 has everything...

drama in the Kobe/Suns series, a 50 piece, multiple game winners/buzzer beaters, overtimes, Suns go 7 against Clippers, WCF of Dirk/Nash, 6 games, a 50 pointer by Dirk...

LeBron playoff breakout, first playoff rookie ever to start with a triple double, multiple game winners, 40 pt games against the Wiz scoring big 3... good series.

Pistons/Cavs going the distance, Sheed/Rip/Billups, the '05 group...

oh.... Wade/Shaq in South Beach? NICE!

ECF Heat's revenge for the previous year (story angle), and an epic finals/comeback finals, championship decided at the buzzer, and an historic individual performance with PLENTY of big names (Shaq, Mourning, GP)....

Kobe and the Lakers had their part time fun, Nash as MVP, Dirk and the Mavericks, LeBron doing big things, the Pistons, Wade's historic year... 50 pointers, tons of game winners, overtimes... fun fun fun.

These playoffs, objectively, were clearly better than whatever 2009-2010 or 2000-2002 offered... I dont even see it as an argument, tbh.

Spurs/Mavs/Wolves weren't up to par yet '00-'02, and the epic WCF's were evened out by the weak East finals crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi m8
    LOL we're what, 1 or 2 games into round 2, jesus christ

Biggest knee jerk reaction forum ever hahah

Are most of you 16 or something?
    All this because I included 2016? Who cares, its so far... at best these playoffs will create for a great WCF and Finals. Ignore it if it helps you.

and then you put 2011 as number two as a reason you can claim to be unbiased, but it still gives a nice boost to your countryman lol.. its see through man, your whole plan.
    How could you not like 2011?

Again, it had everything, 2006 like

Youre right though, Im probably too harsh on 2010

edit: I should also take 2012 over 2002, most likely though

seing some good ass posters online posting right now cmon guys

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Of course, this all depends on what 'you like'....

These playoffs, objectively, were clearly better than whatever 2009-2010 or 2000-2002 offered... I dont even see it as an argument, tbh

you're not making much sense, pal.

your agenda is sad.