Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Would prime Jordan or Payton be able top stop Curry?

Would Michael Jordan or Gary Payton at their very best, on defense, be able to stop Steph Curry?

90s rules

Default Re: Would prime Jordan or Payton be able top stop Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor K
    Would Michael Jordan or Gary Payton at their very best, on defense, be able to stop Steph Curry?

90s rules
    The whole "90s rules" thing is tough since guys who came up in today's era would have been more accustomed to the hand-checking playstyle had they come up in a previous era. Guys who we call soft today probably would have been less soft to suit the time, etc.

But while I think a lockdown defender like MJ or Glove could contain Curry, I don't think there's a defender who's ever existed who could actually "stop" Curry for a sustained period of time. The 0/11ers will come in here with Delly pics, but that was an absolutely microscopic sample size that didn't even last half a series.

If Curry had to face a guy like that every game, maybe he'd be shooting in the low 40s from the field instead of like 50 or 51%, but I think his impact would still resonate and he would still open up the floor with his limitless range. The guy is damn near unguardable in single-coverage.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I dunno dude. There's only so much you could do to a guy who can shoot seven feet beyond the 3pt line off the dribble. And since Curry has a quick release, it's pretty much unguardable.

The 90s rules...I think pre 1994 (correct me if I'm wrong) allows hand checking a bit above the paint or something? I forgot. But this would help if Curry drives. MJ was great at fighting the screens due to the quickness of his lateral movement. Payton is also great too at it. At best they could probably contain Curry.

But I don't know. You would have to stick to him like glue at all times.

If the mid 90s apply with the shorten 3pt line, I think that's just unfair advantage towards Curry.
    Last edited by Micku; 01-29-2016 at 08:37 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

If you retards studied athleticism, you'd realize Michael Jordan has the same type of athleticism as Avery Bradley and Derrick Rose.

That would make Jordan the ultimate Curry stopper.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor K

90s rules
    has any defender in the history of the sport consistently "stopped" great offensive player one on one? Like really....has it EVER happened?

This is why man to man defense is comically over valued and discussed. The value in a great defender is in how they add value within a team concept. Guys like Pippen who could alter offenses due to his length at the wing, it wasn't HIS MAN it was the offense that was altered.

FYI if you mean 90's as in you let the guys get really physical, Tony Allen and Bruce Bowen would be more likely to "shut him down" but again that isn't possible. It has NEVER in the HISTORY of the game happened.

Decent playground baller

Great offensive players can be slowed, but not stopped, so no.

Stop? Of course not, Curry would utilize set screens to get his shot off. They would however make him work for his points and when he gets tired it will affect his production. The only way to totally shut down Curry is to double him and let somebody else take a shot.

90s rules? yes

NBA rookie of the year

Anyone who thinks that Curry is putting up the same numbers he's putting up today in the 1990-1998 NBA is kidding themselves. He'd still be in the 25 pt/4--5 reb/5-6 ast range, but on like 47-48% FG/59-62% TS. Still excellent, all-time great type of numbers, but not what he's doing today.

What part of Curry being able to pull up from 30 do people not understand?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    What part of Curry being able to pull up from 30 do people not understand?
    What part of "greater physicality throughout the course of a game takes a toll on players and would affect legs and therefore their shot" don't you understand? If a guy has his hands on you at halfcourt and is guiding you by your hip, you can't bring the ball up into your shooting pocket no matter how quick your release. To get separation you had to be a super athlete and a legit threat to drive and finish (which Curry is nowadays but would be less so with the more crowded lanes and prevalent big man shotblockers in the 90's). You think guys like Hornacek, Hawkins, or Mark Price couldn't shoot pull up jumpers? They could, but they usually couldn't get the separation for the shot back then.

Go watch playoff games from '90-'97 and then watch today's games - there's a reason why even the best ballhandling PG's needed to bring the ball up with their backs to the defender, or had to turn and change directions 2-3 times to bring the ball into the front court.

I saw Isiah Thomas explain this on NBA TV.

Curry would be guarded much more closely, and Isiah was rolling imagining Curry getting caught in a 90's screen.

He would have to adjust his release point because of the hand-check. He could still shoot (like his daddy), but he would be a much better off-ball shooter.
    Last edited by Kobe_6/8; 01-29-2016 at 09:57 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe_6/8
    I saw Isiah Thomas explain this on NBA TV.

Curry would be guarded much more closely, and Isiah was rolling imagining Curry getting caught in a 90's screen.

He would have to adjust his release point because of the hand-check. He could still shoot (like his daddy), but he would be a much better off-ball shooter.
    agree with everything outside of the change in his release. His release would be even more above average back in that era. What Isiah likely didn't mention is that he was bigger and stronger than Thomas by a huge margin.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    agree with everything outside of the change in his release. His release would be even more above average back in that era. What Isiah likely didn't mention is that he was bigger and stronger than Thomas by a huge margin.
    Bigger, yes (6'3" vs. 6'1" I think?); stronger possibly, but not by much.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Anyone who thinks that Curry is putting up the same numbers he's putting up today in the 1990-1998 NBA is kidding themselves. He'd still be in the 25 pt/4--5 reb/5-6 ast range, but on like 47-48% FG/59-62% TS. Still excellent, all-time great type of numbers, but not what he's doing today.
    Sounds like Hersey Hawkins 1st five seasons which nearly exactly mirror Currys' first 5.

Hawkins 47%( fg)/ 40% (3pt) 87% ( ft) / 19(ppg) , one all star appearance & an enitire different offensive philosophy in 1988/89 & early 90' s.

Gary Payton is not " the Glove " & not a 1st ballot HOF' er under these no contact ( flop friendly) rules which restrict him/ Jordan' s physicality / size / length.
    Last edited by 32jazz; 01-29-2016 at 10:32 PM.