Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Official #69 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

#68 - Dave Bing. Dave Bing was one of the smoothest guards of the 60’s and 70’s. He had a shot as pure as water and could score just about anywhere from the floor. For a little man he sure could fill up the basket, averaging over 27 points twice in his career. His teams early on in Detroit were never really that great even playing with the likes of Dave DeBusschere and Walt Bellamy a few years. With Bob Lanier they started having some success but by then Bing was off to Washington and finished his career in Boston. He made 2 All-NBA 1st teams and another as a 2nd team member.

| PPG 20.3 | RPG 3.8 | APG 6 | SPG 1.3 |
7 NBA All-Star Games
3 All-NBA Team
NBA Scoring Champion
NBA All-Star MVP

ISH 100 Greatest NBA Players of All-Time
1. Michael Jordan
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
5. Larry Bird
6. Bill Russell
7. Shaquille O'Neal
8. Oscar Robertson
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Tim Duncan
11. Jerry West
12. Julius Erving
13. Moses Malone
14. Elgin Baylor
15. Bob Pettit
16. John Havlicek
17. Karl Malone
18. George Mikan
19. David Robinson
20. Isiah Thomas
21. Charles Barkley
22. John Stockton
23. Bob Cousy
24. Kobe Bryant
25. Rick Barry
26. Scottie Pippen
27. Clyde Drexler
28. Gary Payton
29. Willis Reed
30. Patrick Ewing
31. Allen Iverson
32. Walt Frazier
33. Elvin Hayes
34. George Gervin
35. Jason Kidd
36. Dave Cowens
37. Kevin Garnett
38. Bob McAdoo
39. Nate Thurmond
40. Wes Unseld
41. Kevin McHale
42. Dolph Schayes
43. Dominique Wilkins
44. Bill Walton
45. Sam Jones
46. Kevin Johnson
47. Dennis Rodman
48. Dirk Nowitzki
49. Steve Nash
50. Billy Cunningham
-----
51. Nate 'Tiny' Archibald
52. 'Pistol' Pete Maravich
53. Tracy McGrady
54. Hal Greer
55. Jerry Lucas
56. Robert Parish
57. Earl 'the Pearl' Monroe
58. Bernard King
59. Artis Gilmore
60. Alex English
-----
61. James Worthy
62. Joe Dumars
63. Bill Sharman
64. Reggie Miller
65. Paul Arizin
66. Sidney Moncrief
67. Dave DeBusschere
68. Dave Bing

Players to consider:
Walt Bellamy
Adrian Dantley
Connie Hawkins
Spencer Haywood
Grant Hill
Dennis Johnson
Bob Lanier
Alonzo Mourning
David Thompson
Chris Webber

#68 Greatest Player Voting
Dave Bing = 6 votes
Lenny Wilkens = 2 votes
Neil Johnston = 2 votes
Connie Hawkins = 1 vote
David Thompson = 1 vote
Adrian Dantley = 1 vote
Walt Bellamy = 1 vote
Grant Hill = 1 vote
Chris Webber = 1 vote
Alonzo Mourning = 1 vote
Vince Carter = 1 vote

Official #68 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 09-03-2007 at 03:33 PM.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default Re: Official #69 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Chris Webber. Was a beast in his heyday. An explosive athlete who was also a phenomenal passer for a big man. Was the key cog to one the Sacramento Kings, who were a few lucky breaks going their way from potentially winning a title..........
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
wally_world
Very good NBA starter

ouch that guy in red fell hard...

im still going with Webber...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

David Thompson for the 10th time.
Quote:
David Thompson:

Achievements/ Awards
1st overall pick in 1975 draft
Hall of Famer
ABA All-star game MVP (1975-76)
ABA Rookie Of the year
NBA All-star game MVP (1978-79)
6 All-Star games in 9 seasons.
2 All-NBA 1st teams

Career Stats
PPG: 22.1
RPG: 3.8
APG: 3.2
SPG: 0.9
BPG: 0.8

Once scored 73 points in a game vs. Detroit.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
D-Fence
I rule the local playground

When I look at these kind of lists, what strikes me is thier consistent neglect for the beginning era of NBA basketball. George Mikan, Dolph Schayes, Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, Paul Arizin and Bob Pettit are recognized. But, that's only 6 players for the 11 seasons preceding the drafting of Russell and the beginning of the Celtics dynasty. Take the last 11 seasons, as a contrast; we've selected 22 players from this time frame, if my math serves me correctly.

Okay, in a way, competition wasn't as strong back then, nor was basketball as popular, and you might be right in supposing some other prejudices against the beginning age of NBA basketball. But, the present is built upon the foundation set by the past. In this 11-year time frame, the NBA game went through its biggest changes: the 24-second shot clock was introduced, the game became up-tempo and fluid, the lanes were widened, jump shots, tricky passes and athleticism took over, small-town franchises gave way to big cities and big crowds, and the NBA became a sustainable business, as well as the dominant pro basketball league.

Here are some of the forgotten stars of this era that we should be considering now: Joe Fulks, Bob Davies, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelson, Slater Martin, Andy Phillip, Dick McGuire, Harry Gallatin, Ed Macauley, Clyde Lovellette, George Yardley, and Neil Johnston, among others.

I vote for Neil Johnston, the best of this crop, in my estimation. Joe Fulks, the first star of the BAA (which became the NBA) and pioneer jump shooter, will probably be my next vote. I understand that many don't know who Neil Johnston was, so I'm going to tell you something about him.

Neil "Gabby" Johnston, nicknamed "Gabby" because he didn't talk much, was the best center in the NBA between the Mikan-era and the Russell-era. He played for the Philadelphia Warriors (later they became the Golden State Warriors), from the 1951-52 season to the 1958-59 season. In those 8 seasons, he averaged 19.4 PPG and 11.3 RPG.

He was selected to the All-NBA 1st Team for 4 consecutive seasons and led in All-NBA Team votes for the 1954-55 season, which equates to being the league MVP back then. For that season, he was considered better than Bob Cousy, Dolph Schayes, Bob Pettit, and Bill Sharman!

Johnston was especially adept at the hook shot, which he'd shoot with either hand--similar to George Mikan. Johnston also, as a center, earned 3 consecutive scoring titles (1953, 1954 and 1955), with averages of 22.3, 24.4 and 22.7 PPG. With teammate Paul Arizin, they were 1 and 2 in PPG for the 1954-55 season. Johnston also led the league in rebounds in 1955, with 15.1 per game. And, he led the league in FG% on 3 separate occasions. Johnston was a good passing center, too, as he proved during the Warriors title run in 1956. In the 1956 playoffs, Johnston averaged 20.3 PPG, 14.3 RPG and 5.1 APG. Johnston went on to coach Wilt Chamberlain and the Warriors after his playing career was cut short by injuries. In 1990, he was enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Neil Johnston is the greatest player left.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
basketballer4
Sweaty ti.ts

Hill.
basketballer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
disco
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fence
When I look at these kind of lists, what strikes me is thier consistent neglect for the beginning era of NBA basketball. George Mikan, Dolph Schayes, Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, Paul Arizin and Bob Pettit are recognized. But, that's only 6 players for the 11 seasons preceding the drafting of Russell and the beginning of the Celtics dynasty. Take the last 11 seasons, as a contrast; we've selected 22 players from this time frame, if my math serves me correctly.

Okay, in a way, competition wasn't as strong back then, nor was basketball as popular, and you might be right in supposing some other prejudices against the beginning age of NBA basketball. But, the present is built upon the foundation set by the past. In this 11-year time frame, the NBA game went through its biggest changes: the 24-second shot clock was introduced, the game became up-tempo and fluid, the lanes were widened, jump shots, tricky passes and athleticism took over, small-town franchises gave way to big cities and big crowds, and the NBA became a sustainable business, as well as the dominant pro basketball league.

Here are some of the forgotten stars of this era that we should be considering now: Joe Fulks, Bob Davies, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelson, Slater Martin, Andy Phillip, Dick McGuire, Harry Gallatin, Ed Macauley, Clyde Lovellette, George Yardley, and Neil Johnston, among others.

Couldn't agree more. I know it's difficult to compare someone like Mickelsen and Pollard to players of 80s or 90s, but it's not their fault they played the game so long time ago. When you think about Mikan, he simply couldn't have done much more, but still isn't in anyone's top 10. But given we are at places 60-70 here, it's time to get more old-timers in.

I go for Johnston too.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter

Adrian Dantley or Lenny Wilkens.

I'm goind to vote for 9-time all star LENNY WILKENS.
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
PK3434
Good Golly!

Chris Webber?????????????????????????

I'll go with David Thompson so Chris Webber won't have a chance.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

CONNIE HAWKINS

Connie Hawkins gained his fame on the streets of New York City as a street ball legend before he even became a pro. At places like Rucker Park, it was normal for him to dunk on Wilt Chamberlain. Connie never played in the NBA in the best years of career because he was falsely accused of being apart of a college shaving scandal.

Connie was an innovator. Before him, there was no other, (maybe Elgin) but Elgin wasn’t the dunker like he was. He was before Don, ,’Nique, Clyde, MJ all of them. For a power forward, he was a great ball handler and passer.

Connie had to make his way to the ABL at first, a rival league to the NBA in the early 1960‘s. The ABA was not the first to have the 3 point line, the ABL was. Connie was named MVP and his team won the title the very first (and only) season of the league. The 1962-63 season didn’t even finish and Connie was of to the Harlem Globetrotters for a couple of years.

Finally in 1967, (after he had already messed up his knees) another league was founded, the ABA and Connie was the first star of the young league. He once again won MVP and his Pittsburgh Pipers won the title. The next season he played with Minnesota.

In 1969, he finally got his wish, to join the NBA (he would have joined the league around 1963 or 1964.) He waited a long time for this and didn’t disappoint as he was named to the All-NBA first team and a first time NBA All-Star as part of the Phoenix Suns. He made 3 more All-Star teams in his career.

Finally in 1992, he was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame and in 1997, named apart of the ABA‘s 30th Anniversary Team.

-ABA MVP
-ABA Champion
-ABA Playoff MVP
-4 NBA All-Star Teams
-1 ABA All-Star Team
-1 All-NBA 1st team
-2 All-ABA 1st Teams
-Career high points per game 30.2 (ABA)
-Career high rebounds per game 13.5 (ABA)
-Career high assist per game 5.3 (NBA)
-Career high FG% .52
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
ReturnOfJimi
Made that high school varsity squad

LeBron James.

At some point he'll have to be recognized for leading a sh!t team in a sh!t conference to play in a sh!t finals at age... how old is he again?
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #12
dhenk
Why do you care?

Paul Pierce>Chris Webber

My vote goes to David Thompson.
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
Paul Pierce>Chris Webber

My vote goes to David Thompson.
You sure? How so?

Pierce, a great player that should make this list has not had a better career then C-Webb (at least up to this point).

Both are only 5 time All-Stars, but Webb also has 5 All-NBA Team (which hold more significance then All-Star games.) Webb has a 1st team, three 2nds and a 3rd team compared to Pierce's 2nd and 3rd teams (just two).

His numbers are also better.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #14
baby_jordan_23
Saw a basketball once

Grant Hill
baby_jordan_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #15
YAWN
Very good NBA starter

the greatest passing center of all time

without him there would be no dream team.

Arvydas Sabonis

i know hes got no shot but felt like voting for him
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: