Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: A drafted player who refuses to... (Ricky Rubio, Dante Exum)

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Exum did not say he wants to play for the Lakers only. He picked the Lakers as an ideal situation because Kobe is one of his favorite players. So he would love to learn from him. He also said Orlando would be cool because he is good friends with Oladipo. People on the net taking a quote out of context and running with it. Making opinions on the guy that are so wrong.
    exactly plus it's an old quote. He's said in other interviews he would like philly too. I don't think this is a worrisome sign. Most rookies throw out a bunch of locations they'd like to play in and they all show up when drafted. I didn't think Rubio stuck in europe making demands either, weren't the wolves happy to have him play and develop there while they tried out their 10 other point guards they drafted that year

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    I really don't like the "do they think they're that much better" angle, it's unbecomming.

There's a culture aspect of it that means a lot. An international rookie has to leave their country, their friends and often their family for longer periods of time. They do this around age 18-22 with the prospect of hopefully being gone 10 years or more, but for that to happen you have to do well.

How can you fault someone that young for wanting to play a certain team? Getting on the right team, being comfortable and developing right is worth millions.
    Because he's getting a shit load of money? Dude's in the NBA make more money in 1 year, than what most people make in their entire lifetime. Don't like it? Then don't play in the NBA. It's as simple as that.

Also I have to say hearing Americans complaing about this doesn't seem right, the whole idea of a draft goes against free will for individuals, a core staple of american society.

The ****'s wrong with you son? The NBA is a private entity. If you make yourself eligible for the draft, you go where the company tells you to go. It's a freaking business. Don't like it? Then quit.

Back to the back, these guys who act all entitled and shit and refuse to play for the team which drafted them should get suspended for a bunch of years. Better yet, they should just be banned from ever playing in the NBA. **** those snobby little *****.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Exum did not say he wants to play for the Lakers only. He picked the Lakers as an ideal situation because Kobe is one of his favorite players. So he would love to learn from him. He also said Orlando would be cool because he is good friends with Oladipo. People on the net taking a quote out of context and running with it. Making opinions on the guy that are so wrong.
    I'd laugh if he went there for that reason and then hates being teammates with Kobe.

Still in the league Marcus Thornton's Avatar

I don't understand why they would do that, especially if they have such high stock. Players with high draft stock stay valuable for years after their rookie contract, even if they don't do so well. If a player really wanted to play for a certain team, just sign a 3 year rookie contract and then sign with said team in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Because he's getting a shit load of money? Dude's in the NBA make more money in 1 year, than what most people make in their entire lifetime. Don't like it? Then don't play in the NBA. It's as simple as that.

The ****'s wrong with you son? The NBA is a private entity. If you make yourself eligible for the draft, you go where the company tells you to go. It's a freaking business. Don't like it? Then quit.

Back to the back, these guys who act all entitled and shit and refuse to play for the team which drafted them should get suspended for a bunch of years. Better yet, they should just be banned from ever playing in the NBA. **** those snobby little *****.
    Depends on how you look at it, if there was an open market Embiid would have 20+ offers this summer.

You're right the NBA is a private entity, but that doesn't mean they don't have stupid rules in place, the NBA isn't perfect.
    -A leage setup where the best teams don't go to the playoffs? Try to see it compared to any other sports league in the world and you'll realize how unique and stupid that is.
    -The draft like I've already said. Goes for both US and international players, forcing young adults where to live and who to work for...in terms of players living up to their potential the draft is a stupid idea to begin with.
    -A prize for being one of the 3 worst teams in the league? A league setup giving teams motivation to lose? Again truly unique and stupid, in the rest of the world you get thrown out of the league for at least a year.

Now because you have this unique and weird setup you have to have all these salary cap rules, it's so important for teams to manage their caps well and because of all these extra rules; restricted free agent, bird rights, luxury tax, repeater luxury tax, mid-level extension, amnesty etc. it makes it hard for casual fans to follow that part of the game.

As for the internationals and the guys who force their way to certain teams, they seem to do just fine.

And to the guy who said Rubio shouldn't be paid for the first two years of his contract, well he wasn't.
    Last edited by ZenMaster; 02-28-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Also, you have to remember that time is a flat circle. Everything we've ever done or will do we're gonna do over and over and over again, and those kids and players are gonna be in that draft..again, and you will complain about it again and again and again forever.

The thing about NBA is they want parity. i.e in English, Italian, Spanish soccer leagues only a few team gets to win. The NBA doesn't want that. They know LA is much more desirable to most people than, say, Milwaukee. That's why the draft etc is set up for parity. I still think it's not enough though, needs to be more system in place.

First of all, I apologize for being a turd in my previous post.

Depends on how you look at it, if there was an open market Embiid would have 20+ offers this summer.
    The point of the draft is to get some talent to teams which would otherwise be lottery bound. For instance, look at the turnaround that Miami had after drafting Wade, the Spurs after they drafted Robinson, the Cav's after they drafted LeBron, etc. Do you believe any of them would've signed with those teams, if there was an open market?

-A leage setup where the best teams don't go to the playoffs? Try to see it compared to any other sports league in the world and you'll realize how unique and stupid that is.
    I agree with you on this. They should just get rid of conferences and let the best 16 teams fight it out in the PO's.

-The draft like I've already said. Goes for both US and international players, forcing young adults where to live and who to work for...in terms of players living up to their potential the draft is a stupid idea to begin with.
    Not really. If you don't like the concept of the draft, then don't join the NBA. Players are making huge amounts of money. The league does what it thinks is in the best interest of the NBA and hence, the Draft.

-A prize for being one of the 3 worst teams in the league? A league setup giving teams motivation to lose? Again truly unique and stupid, in the rest of the world you get thrown out of the league for at least a year.
    As I said earlier, it does work. Look at the turnaround that some of the teams have had. If there was no draft and Jabari, Embid, Exum, and Wiggins, all signed with the Heat on rookie contracts, how do you think the rest of the league will fare? Right now, each of those players has the potential to be a superstar. They could actually help turn around some of these franchises.

Now because you have this unique and weird setup you have to have all these salary cap rules, it's so important for teams to manage their caps well and because of all these extra rules; restricted free agent, bird rights, luxury tax, repeater luxury tax, mid-level extension, amnesty etc. it makes it hard for casual fans to follow that part of the game.

As for the internationals and the guys who force their way to certain teams, they seem to do just fine.
    What does salary cap have to do with the draft though? Anways, without a salary cap and the tax penalties, the league would be absolutely horrible. The Knicks, Lakers, and a couple of other superrich franchises would be the only true contenders. The rest of the teams would lack any true talent. What actually would work is contraction. Although I don't support it, that's the only possible solution for your dilemma. Removing the draft won't help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Massive mis direction in this article. That quote is like a month and a half old. In the same interview he said his ideal choice was orlando as he and oladipo are good friends and would make a good back court. In another article I've read from an australian journo he mentioned he'd be happy to land in philly as he believed in their rebuilding process. The kid hasn't been looking to force his way anywhere, of course if a reporter asks you would you like to play in xxx city your going to say yes and not limit your options. Using an old quote and ignoring his other interviews makes me think this isn't a concern.
    Real shit. Exum wants to go to Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    The thing about NBA is they want parity. i.e in English, Italian, Spanish soccer leagues only a few team gets to win. The NBA doesn't want that. They know LA is much more desirable to most people than, say, Milwaukee. That's why the draft etc is set up for parity. I still think it's not enough though, needs to be more system in place.
    With 300+ million people and only 32 teams I'd say it's a lot more comparable to the champions league and there a lot of teams compete.

One thing people generally complain about in the NBA is that it lacks overall competiteveness and that only a few teams can win. Most teams don't have a title, two teams have about half the league titles etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    First of all, I apologize for being a turd in my previous post.

The point of the draft is to get some talent to teams which would otherwise be lottery bound. For instance, look at the turnaround that Miami had after drafting Wade, the Spurs after they drafted Robinson, the Cav's after they drafted LeBron, etc. Do you believe any of them would've signed with those teams, if there was an open market?

I agree with you on this. They should just get rid of conferences and let the best 16 teams fight it out in the PO's.

Not really. If you don't like the concept of the draft, then don't join the NBA. Players are making huge amounts of money. The league does what it thinks is in the best interest of the NBA and hence, the Draft.

As I said earlier, it does work. Look at the turnaround that some of the teams have had. If there was no draft and Jabari, Embid, Exum, and Wiggins, all signed with the Heat on rookie contracts, how do you think the rest of the league will fare? Right now, each of those players has the potential to be a superstar. They could actually help turn around some of these franchises.

What does salary cap have to do with the draft though? Anways, without a salary cap and the tax penalties, the league would be absolutely horrible. The Knicks, Lakers, and a couple of other superrich franchises would be the only true contenders. The rest of the teams would lack any true talent. What actually would work is contraction. Although I don't support it, that's the only possible solution for your dilemma. Removing the draft won't help at all.
    You're asuming teams wouldn't get players in an open market but that's not the case, teams can get talent and develop it, there's enough to go around.
    Plenty of these teams have money.
    There could still be a cap but make it a hard cap and set it fairly high. The soft cap and all these extra special rules is just out smarting yourself.

They have the rookie contracts because of the draft, you would have more internationals that are better than the current bottom NBA players if not for those contracts. The overall quality would be higher.

But most important it gives teams incentive to lose, that's against anything in sports I've ever heard of.

NBA Superstar

Exum's best fit in the NBA longterm is as a PG so being the understudy to Kobe doesn't make a ton of sense. Jabari Parker easily makes the most sense since he's the best scorer in this draft by far and could play with Kobe for a year or two before taking over once Kobe retires.

Kobe in general has the best basketball IQ of any player still around. He could teach Jabari a ton about when to score, when to pass, how to approach different teams, how to be a leader, etc.

You're asuming teams wouldn't get players in an open market but that's not the case, teams can get talent and develop it, there's enough to go around.
    Lets say the NBA discarded the Draft tomorrow. There are 6 legit superstar level players coming into the league next season. How many them would go to places like Milwaukee, Philly, Utah, Cleveland, Detroit, etc. over Miami, LA, NY, Chicago, etc.? I don't know if you're been to those places, but they are not exactly places that 20 year old millionaires would want live.

Plenty of these teams have money. There could still be a cap but make it a hard cap and set it fairly high. The soft cap and all these extra special rules is just out smarting yourself.
    Not really. That was the reason why there was a lockout like 2 seasons ago. The small market teams are not making much money. The high salary cap wouldn't work because teams like LA, NY, and BKN don't mind spending insane amounts of money.

They have the rookie contracts because of the draft, you would have more internationals that are better than the current bottom NBA players if not for those contracts. The overall quality would be higher.
    This would be took long to get into in this thread. Don't feel like doing it now, but no, rookie contracts are extremely essential for lottery teams.

But most important it gives teams incentive to lose, that's against anything in sports I've ever heard of.
    It does, but it also gives them better players, which can actually turn around those franchises. We've seem a number of examples in recent years as well.

Local High School Star Magic731's Avatar

Let's be real, nothing has said that Exum is going to force his way anywhere. He has listed multiple teams as places he would like to go and one stupid GM thinks it means he is going to force himself somewhere.

Krust Kingz

It happens more in baseball but it does happen in other sports. I dont see anything wrong with it as long as its not a trend. Foreign players do this often and just stay in their country but the team keeps their rights for a time period. Its not that unusual. In baseball the player can not play for any other professional team that year and become eligible to be redrafted the following season.