Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 12-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #616
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Default Re: 2017-2018 regular season...back to square one again

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...ignored-weapon

Quote:
Alec Burks—Utah’s spunky, cryogenically frozen combo guard—is the volatile scoring presence off the bench this team desperately craves.

He's the 3rd major piece to Mitchell/Gobert
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #617
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/12/10/1...ern-conference

Quote:
Only ‘contenders’ would consider a temporary upgrade.

Teams that will have the money to pay Favors and can see him as a piece moving forward will have interest too especially if he would agree to an extension first
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #618
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/1...gordon-hayward

Quote:
Denver had hoped OG Anunoby would fall to it, per multiple sources, but the Raptors took him one spot before the Nuggets could.

So did the clown have any other deals lined up if Denver had gotten their guy?

Quote:
Snyder has a knack for putting players into positions to succeed

Ricky!

Quote:
he’s never hesitated to play youngsters like Lyles, Hood, Dante Exum, and Rudy Gobert

though all should have started in the G-league

Quote:
It’s the second season in a row the Jazz have managed to overcome injuries by utilizing Snyder’s ball-movement-based system to generate on- and off-ball actions. A positionless approach that utilizes multiple ball handlers turned out to be a perfect fit for Mitchell, who doesn’t quite have the pure passing skills of a point guard or the size of a shooting guard.

tell me again how Ricky fits here?

Quote:
If Mitchell develops into a primary ball handler, the Jazz would be better off targeting a floor-spacing guard to put next to him. Dante Exum could fit the bill if he can stay on the floor.

and can hit a shot and finish and defend without his hands.

Quote:
Rubio will be an unrestricted free agent in 2019, but a change may be in order sooner,

needed now but won't happen

Quote:
Hood would theoretically be a great fit as a 2-guard next to Mitchell, but the fourth-year wing can’t stay healthy; he missed two October games with a lower left leg strain and sat out the past seven games with left ankle soreness. It’s not the first time Hood has dealt with leg injuries: He’s suffered a deep bone bruise on his left knee and plantar fasciitis in his left foot. On the right leg, Hood has dealt with a hamstring strain, plantar fasciitis, a hyperextension, a bone contusion, an LCL sprain, and an Achilles tendon strain. The Jazz were wise not to re-sign Hood prior to the rookie-extension deadline for that reason, but they still need to find additional sources of scoring as last week’s losses to the Bucks, Thunder, and Rockets showed.

Before the season, we thought Hood would be the breakout star in Utah. Now, he may wind up spacing the floor for that guy.

In theory Hood needs to go to a team where they like iso. That's not Utah
Old 12-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #619
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.slcdunk.com/utah-jazz-so...orange-red-hat

Red looks better than another gold one I guess. My pick for next year is black!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #620
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://thejnotes.com/2017/12/12/uta...losing-streak/

Quote:
Fortunately, though, the Jazz are coming into the contest off of three days of rest and leading scorer Rodney Hood is set to be back in the mix, so those should all be encouraging signs for Utah’s chances.

Burks playing less than Rubio and Hood is discouraging

Quote:
one of the main areas in which the Jazz were absolutely superb was in taking care of the ball on their end while forcing Chicago into turnovers on theirs

both are different teams now though

Quote:
with Rodney Hood set to be back in action, considering how well the Jazz played against the Bulls just a few weeks back and the fact that Utah is coming into this contest with a significant amount of rest, I think they’ll find a way to put an end to Chicago’s winning streak and come away with a much-needed triumph of their own.

all horrible reasons to PIN your hopes on
Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #621
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://thejnotes.com/2017/12/12/rep...-hill-unhappy/

Quote:
There were reports that the Jazz were originally offering more than what Hill ultimately ended up with, especially considering that his third year isn’t guaranteed

So the Jazz would owe him for the rest of this year and next while getting rid of Rubio. If only the front office wasn't a joke!

Quote:
I don’t think any of us imagined how much the absence of Hill would end up stinging as well.

We didn't? He was arguably their best player last November before the injuries. They missed him last year and he was replaced by someone that made no sense. He's been missed more than hayward

Quote:
I know a lot of Jazz fans were anxious to replace Hill with Rubio, but after what we’ve witnessed so far, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that many of them wish that they could have Hill back in his place. I know I’m certainly in that camp.

But you had Ricky pinned as an all-star! Hill was a perfect fit and Ricky made no sense

Quote:
following the December 15th deadline after which free agents that signed this summer can be traded, perhaps the Kings will look to move Hill and maybe the Jazz will look to make some sort of move to improve as well.

However, the latter seems particularly unlikely to me and even more unlikely than that would be a Hill-Jazz reunion which has been brought up by a few folks on Twitter, but it would make for an interesting story line.

should happen but won't

Quote:
it’s not in Utah’s front office’s nature to be overly anxious to make a hasty move.

not in their nature to make any deadline moves. Hasty though? You can't get rid of the deadweight on this team fast enough as far as I'm concerned

Quote:
He’s more than likely on the back end of his career, so hopefully he can put together a few nice runs yet rather than being stuck in an unhappy, unsuccessful rut for the remainder of his playing days.

Coming off his best year and doesn't rely on athleticsm so why can't he just be starting his prime?
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #622
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
It could be said George Hill needed a night like Tuesday, where his impact was felt from start to finish. Hill, however, wouldn’t say that. “It’s not really about me,” Hill said. “It’s about the team and trying to find the right way and trying to figure everything out. It’s good to come out and get a good team win before we go on this four-game road trip.” – via Sacramento Bee

Hill has been trying to adjust to playing less, finding his game with new teammates while also serving as a mentor to rookie point guards De’Aaron Fox and Frank Mason III. Hill said at this point he’s not searching for his role on the team. “No, if it’s there, it’s there,” Hill said. “I’m just trying to help the young fellas learn, mentor them and figure that out as we go.” – via Sacramento Bee

The kind of mentor Donovan needs. One that can actually fit on the floor
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #623
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/12/13/1...eam-in-the-nba

Quote:
this is Ricky doing this on his own, it’s not something he’s required to do by contract. There isn’t a better person out there than Ricky Rubio.

has tax benefits though. Better to give it away than to have the IRS take it

Quote:
Dennis Lindsey deserves a lot of credit for bringing in players that play the game right way, but also have great character

now if they all fit in what the Jazz do the floor they'd be on to something
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #624
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
There’s also the possibility Los Angeles moves him before the trade deadline to a team that’s looking to make a playoff push, but that feels unlikely for a few reasons. To start, whichever team traded for Caldwell-Pope would only receive his non-Bird Rights. Long story short, that means they’d likely need cap space to re-sign him over the summer, as the exception only allows four year deals up to 120 percent of the previous season’s salary with a five percent annual increase. Crazier things have happened, but it’s highly unlikely Caldwell-Pope’s market value won’t be higher, strengthening the likelihood of him being a mid-season rental more than a long-term investment. He also has a 15 percent trade kicker. – via VICE

Caldwell-Pope is now on the Los Angeles Lakers, where he signed a one-year, $17.7 million deal. It feels like an uncomfortable stasis for a player in his fifth season, enduring his second contract year in a row. But the 24-year-old has yet to test the shortcomings of his game for the sake of his own individual growth or production, at the cost of his team’s success. Instead, he’s solely focused on finding ways to move L.A.’s needle in a positive way. His teammates respect that, understand how important he is, and recognize the partnership could end sooner than anyone wants it to. “If I put myself in his shoes, it’d just be tough to embrace everybody and kind of get into the whole team aspect knowing that next summer is another free agent year,” Lakers forward Larry Nance Jr. told VICE Sports. “But he’s done a terrific job of being selfless and looking out for others.” – via VICE

“When we made this deal, me and my agent, we discussed it multiple times,” Caldwell-Pope told VICE Sports. “We knew the risk we were taking. Nine times out of 10 I’d like to bet on myself. That’s what we did. It’s a one-year deal, and so far this season it’s been going well.” This is far from basketball purgatory, but it’s also not an obvious home. Caldwell-Pope doesn’t have a lot of time to fit in; for reasons we’ll get into later on, it’s more likely than not he’ll be in a different city next season. “There’s no benefit [to a one-year deal]. I’m up again next year,” he said. “I could be here, or be wherever I land.” – via VICE

looks like a candidate for the Jazz
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #625
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
In the ESPN Insider story on what each team’s fans should look for as trade season begins, Marks suggested moving Harris was about numbers… Harris’ salary in particular. The former second-round pick is having a career season and will be an unrestricted free agent in July. If Brooklyn is looking to optimize Harris’ trade value, the window is now. If they hold onto him past Feb. 8, the Nets will either have to sign Harris to a contract that starts in the $5-6 million range or lose him for nothing. Expect the Nets to receive a good second-round pick if Harris is moved. – via NetsDaily

He could be a good fit? Can really shoot. They might go for Hood or even Rubio? Exum?
Old Today, 04:03 PM   #626
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
David Locke: Joe Johnson is available for the Utah Jazz tomorrow – via Twitter Lockedonsports

their savior!
Old Today, 04:03 PM   #627
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Quote:
Chris Forsberg: Gordon Hayward said that, with the Jazz in town for Friday’s game vs. the Celtics, he’s hoping to meet up with some of his former teammates. And while he said it will be “weird” to watch his former team play his current one, Hayward playfully added, “I hope we beat them by 40.” – via Twitter ESPNForsberg

They should. Jazz suck!
Old Today, 04:31 PM   #628
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46217224&ni...-against-bulls

Quote:
1. Inconsistent Jazz effort gives Bulls chance to win
It wasn't that the Jazz didn't play well during Wednesday's game, it was that they didn't consistently play well. It's just that, for a few minutes at different times of the game, the Jazz did each of those things really, really catastrophically. And so they never had a dominant run that would have won the game, and they pretty consistently trailed the Bulls.

As long as they keep trying to make Rubio and Favors work that's going to a problem

Quote:
For a majority of the game, the Jazz rebounded the ball extremely well, allowing only four Bulls offensive rebounds through the first three quarters. It's just that they allowed five offensive boards in the fourth quarter, at some of the most critical points in the game.

Pulling your best rebounder may have contributed to that?

Quote:
And on the offensive end, the Jazz played well for most of the game, especially during the 25 minutes when Rodney Hood was available. During those stretches, the Jazz scored 110 points per 100 possessions. Unfortunately, things weren't as bright when Hood wasn't available.

Another Hood stan. Why don't you tell us how horrible Burks is again while you're at it!

Quote:
Finally, over the last 33 minutes of the game, the Jazz only had seven turnovers. That's great! It's just that they had 10 in the first 15 minutes of the game, getting them out to a poor start.

Ricky with his usual 5!

Quote:
But with defensive focus, rebounding, offensive execution and turnovers; those are mistakes that should be within the Jazz's control.

As long as you play Rubio and Favors at the 5 offensive execution and turnovers will be a problem
Old Today, 04:55 PM   #629
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/20...ffort-problem/

Quote:
Quin Snyder was blunt in assessing the current the state of the Jazz.
Snyder knows they aren’t the Houston Rockets or Golden State Warriors, or even the Cleveland Cavaliers. They aren’t good enough to simply show up and win basketball games. To win, Snyder said after Wednesday’s loss to the lowly Chicago Bulls, the Jazz have to be engaged physically and mentally. Even small lapses will lead to defeats.

You're not blameless. Play the guys doing well instead of the guys you want to do well for starters. Burks, Mitchell and Gobert should be playing 35 minutes a night not Rubio.

Quote:
Utah’s margin for error this season is razor-thin. That’s the harsh reality.

especially when you keep trying to plug square pegs into round holes

Quote:
At Chicago, the Jazz were passive and it showed. Chicago took 14 more free-throws.

When you don't fed the bigs and attack the rim and setlle for 3's that's what you get

Quote:
Chicago marks the third bad loss of the year for Utah — defeats to the Phoenix Suns and Brooklyn Nets are the other two — and the Jazz don’t have many great wins to counter that.

I guess. They've had more bad wins than that as far as I'm concerned

Quote:
“We’re playing in spurts, and we have to change that,” Utah point guard Ricky Rubio said. “We have a two or three minute stretch where the defense is what we want, and where we’re getting stops. And then, it just changes and we don’t play well. We have to be more aggressive in a lot of areas.”

The fact that this clown's opinion even matters tells you all you need to know about this sorry franchise!

Quote:
Hood came back and looked like himself, scoring 15 points off the bench. He told The Tribune, however, that his ankle is still at about 70 percent. So he’s not fully healthy.

He actually looked better with 4 assists. I certainly don't expect that to last though!

Quote:
But the possibility exists that the Jazz could be in a big hole come the new year, one they will have to work hard at digging out of.

That's looking certain if the coach/GM don't do something and that's not likely with their track record

Quote:
Utah guard Raul Neto missed the loss to Chicago with a concussion and is still in protocol as of Thursday. …

Doesn't really matter with Hood and Johnson back. He wouldn't be playing anyway. That's one guy that gives a consistent effort!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: