Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Random white boy from the 50's dunking in HS layup line:

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    The 6-4 (and white) Jim Pollard was supposedly dunking from the FT line back in the late 40's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Pollard
    I mean really, who the hell believes this nonsense..

This is Jim Pollard;

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Looks like he has long arms. Who's to say he couldn't jump like Brent Barry?

What's your deal with trying to prove Russell and Wilt's era had tough competition? The NBA back then was mostly white guys that were shorter than the average player in today's NBA. Black people are obviously more athletic than white people; you're in denial if you don't believe that.

There's no doubt Russell and Wilt would be great players now in the NBA due to lack of good centers. But, Russell wouldn't reach 11 rings and Wilt wouldn't average 50 PPG and dominate as much as he did.

Can you imagine if Olajuwon and Shaq played in Russell and Wilt's era? Olajuwon would be the defensive presence that was Russell was + Olajuwon's offense was great too. Shaq would dominate just as much as Wilt.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong
    Don't forget, these two best friends are now teammates as well

P.S.

Fplii for Mod or Die.

Lol at "tetnis"

My dad played against Mark Belanger (who eventually chose baseball over basketball) when he was in high school in the late 50s/early 60s and says Belanger (who is listed in the baseball encyclopedia at 6'1") could dunk from the free-throw line. I'm guessing this is an exaggeration, and that the legend about Pollard are an exaggeration too (as are those about anyone who ever supposedly touched the top of the backboard), but the point here is that at the time people did dunk in practice, did show off, and that it was something people noticed and remembered. There were guys who had that kind of athleticism who didn't even play in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    You eliminate carrying from the game and dribbling starts looking an awful lot like that 60s style dribbling again. Keeping your eyes up always, smooth crossovers and use of both hands, smooth posture. That's all mostly a result from allowing carrying to an increasingly large extent.
    ^This. The dribbling rules have been relaxed a lot, which allows NBA players to have superior handles to what you see from old footage.

This is always overlooked in the conversation about putting a modern player back in the 60s or 50s. They wouldn't get away with those kind of dribbling moves back then.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    You eliminate carrying from the game and dribbling starts looking an awful lot like that 60s style dribbling again. Keeping your eyes up always, smooth crossovers and use of both hands, smooth posture. That's all mostly a result from allowing carrying to an increasingly large extent.
    Hey, don't you know logic is frowned upon here? Anyway, I'm sure there was already a huge breakdown of this dribbling topic on ish a year or two ago. Pretty sure if players were able to get away with carrying, hesitation dribbles, etc, that players back then would be doing the same moves we see today. Id expect anyone over the age of 20 to understand this but I'm probably giving them too much credit. Whatever helps them cling to the fact that their favorite players of today are superior...

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    I mean really, who the hell believes this nonsense..

This is Jim Pollard;

What a perfectly sculpted muscular body. Brent is a freak of nature and there is no WAY in **** Pollard could even jump over a piece of paper
    Last edited by jongib369; 08-12-2013 at 01:29 PM.

And there's this image of Pollard jumping, but I don't know if that basket is regulation height and how high the grill is.

So what is this supposed to prove again?

Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing
    So what is this supposed to prove again?
    That not everyone back then was slow and nonathletic so that the few athletic guys such as Wilt and Russell could dominate by virtue of playing in a weak era against scrubs.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    I don't get it. Isn't a point 50-60 dick huggers try to make all the time is that players now aren't that much more physically advanced?
    It unbelievable how much they ride the ***** of players they have never seen.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I don't know, are you saying that you have finally stopped beating your wife?
    Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Is this what you say to your bruised and battered wife after beating her, you fail to even acknowledge the marriage?

- Equally straight forward question.

You actually think that asking you if players in the 50s/60s are as good/athletic as players today is the equivalent of asking a man if he has stopped beating his wife?

50s/60s dick huggers
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 08-12-2013 at 02:50 PM.

shhhhhhh

If you don't enjoy discussing other eras of the NBA or learning about players from other eras of basketball don't CLICK on the fuc*ing threads. You have a great wealth of knowledge available to you from posters that have studied the NBA at length and put a ton of effort into bringing it to you but all you want to do is sh*t the bed.

Some of you guys put way too much effort into being assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    If you don't enjoy discussing other eras of the NBA or learning about players from other eras of basketball don't CLICK on the fuc*ing threads. You have a great wealth of knowledge available to you from posters that have studied the NBA at length and put a ton of effort into bringing it to you but all you want to do is sh*t the bed.

Some of you guys put way too much effort into being assholes.
    Apparently bringing attention to a random highschool kid from the 1950's dunking a basketball in a layup line is enough to incite a tsunami of hatred on ISH - shame on me. I should have known that stuff should never be talked about.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

You have to be an idiot if you think there were no great athletes in the 1950's or even further past. Sure we have lots of cheats today who use PED's and other drugs. Modern training and nutrition. But there have always been great athletes. Even when I was a teenager I wasn't dumb enough to think that nothing prior to my existence was not good.