Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Strong Side/Weak Side

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    This clown should be banned for calling himself 97 bulls without ever watching the '97 bulls. And your hate for the '80's Celtics & Lakers is scary.

"Kevin McHale was Rasheed Wallace with no range"
    "Larry Bird is overrated"
    "I would take Stockton over Magic"
    "Pippen is on the same level as Bird"
    "Robert Parish is overrated"
    "James Worthy is overrated"

At least try to hide your hate.
    So what should I do? change my name to my favorite teams biggest rival like you then defend them? And let's clarify some things. I said that in a matchup of pippen vs bird its a wash considering what they did head to head. And that was in a matchup in which the 97 bulls play the 86 celtics. Yes, I feel that worthy and parrish are overrated and shouldn't be in the hof. And I don't see why stockton couldn't win and put up the same stats as magic if he was in his same situation. Plus stock was a much better defender and jumpshooter. But the laker would loose magics rebounding.

The rasheed wallace kevin mchale was a bad example. Mchale was definately better.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I said that in a matchup of pippen vs bird its a wash considering what they did head to head. And that was in a matchup in which the 97 bulls play the 86 celtics.
    You shouldn't even be allowed to discuss '97 Bulls vs '86 Celtics. You thought Greg Kite was apart of the '86 Celtics 8 man rotation.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    He was his equal in terms of play making and passing. 3 point shooting? Pippen. But that took years of work for Pippen to develop. Better in the post? I'll give it to you, even though it isn't anything super significant. The only clear cut advantage Pippen has on Hill is on the defensive side of the ball. That's it.
    I never said Pippen was much better, but their overall ability as far as scoring/rebounding/passing is damn close so defense is the tiebreaker.

**** outta here acting like that was all Scottie Pippen.

Dude inherited a club that just went on a three year Championship run, and had loads of confidence, and experience.

And that year had two other all stars besides, Pippen. Both Grant and Armstrong were named NBA All Stars.

Point was they lost in the 2nd round. Pippen outstanding as he was, and with a vet crew with LOADS of Championship experience led them to a 2nd round exit. Do you get an award for that or something?

Hill never had a team coming off 3 years of CHAMPIONSHIP experience. And was an immediate SUPERSTAR caliber impact player from his rookie season on wards. Situations are entirely different. Hill was the franchise. Pippen was a supporting character all the way until 1994 when he had blossomed under a superior player's tutelage and inherited a very good ball club.

How you could even compare the team success of Hill to Scottie Pippen's 1994 Bulls team is beyond ridiculous. Look at the huge drop off the next year after they lost Horace Grant?
    The team won championships with Jordan. That wasn't that talented of a team without Jordan and they also had to adjust to Jordan's sudden retirement. Pippen did a remarkable job leading that team to 55 wins. Hill played with proven champions too in Joe Dumars and Otis Thorpe. Thorpe was still a productive power forward despite being past his prime. Not on Horace Grant's level, but then again Hill's teams didn't get as far as Pippen's. He also played with Allan Houston and Jerry Stackhouse who were bigger scoring threats than anyone on the Bulls aside from Pippen during Jordan's absence.

BJ Armstrong? He was a more questionable all-star than Mo Williams. He was basically a shooter. Pippen had a good defensive power forward who could rebound, finish and hit mid-range jumpers and good shooters and a good versatile sixth man in Kukoc, but that wasn't some incredible cast.

Of course they fell off after Grant left, Pippen then ended up leading the team in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and blocks and who was their "power forward"? Toni Kukoc? And the team was still above .500 without Jordan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordan23
    Just saw Pippen gets absolutely LOCKED UP by Chris Mills. u mad Desperado and Fatal?

Watching Mashburn drop a career high 50 pts on the GOAT perimeter defender right now.

Of course but Jordan walked on water, opened the eyes of the blind, raised a man from the dead and cured the sick.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    You shouldn't even be allowed to discuss '97 Bulls vs '86 Celtics. You thought Greg Kite was apart of the '86 Celtics 8 man rotation.
    Dude, you're a poser. Let it go. I admit I made a mistake. It was almost 30 years ago. And it greg friggn kite. Geeze

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Dude, you're a poser. Let it go. I admit I made a mistake. It was almost 30 years ago. And it greg friggn kite. Geeze
    Greg Kite = GOAT

Banned

Do people realize that '94 Bulls team was supposed to fall apart after Jordan retired?

The Bulls were set up to fail and a lot of sports critics thought Chicago wouldn't even make the playoffs after MJ abruptly retired in October of '93.

Even Phil Jackson predicted the Bulls would slip 15 games in his autobiography Sacred Hoops based on how other past teams fell apart after their star player left.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    He was his equal in terms of play making and passing. 3 point shooting? Pippen. But that took years of work for Pippen to develop. Better in the post? I'll give it to you, even though it isn't anything super significant. The only clear cut advantage Pippen has on Hill is on the defensive side of the ball. That's it.

**** outta here acting like that was all Scottie Pippen.

Dude inherited a club that just went on a three year Championship run, and had loads of confidence, and experience.

And that year had two other all stars besides, Pippen. Both Grant and Armstrong were named NBA All Stars.

Point was they lost in the 2nd round. Pippen outstanding as he was, and with a vet crew with LOADS of Championship experience led them to a 2nd round exit. Do you get an award for that or something?

Hill never had a team coming off 3 years of CHAMPIONSHIP experience. And was an immediate SUPERSTAR caliber impact player from his rookie season on wards. Situations are entirely different. Hill was the franchise. Pippen was a supporting character all the way until 1994 when he had blossomed under a superior player's tutelage and inherited a very good ball club.

How you could even compare the team success of Hill to Scottie Pippen's 1994 Bulls team is beyond ridiculous. Look at the huge drop off the next year after they lost Horace Grant?
    Then how come armstrong and grant couldn't make an allstar team while jordan was there? It cuz pippen was like magic and set those guys up and put them in positions to flourish. But don't act like when jordan retired you didn't say to yourself "oh shit e are screwd". And I know the last thing on your mind was "we'll be okay, cuz we have championship experience".

And the 95 bulls had a rotation that consisted of pete meyers, jojo english, and larry krystwiak. pippens next best player was second year toni kukoc. All this and he kept them above .500.

NBA rookie of the year

Then how come armstrong and grant couldn't make an allstar team while jordan was there? It cuz pippen was like magic and set those guys up and put them in positions to flourish.
    This is incredibly disingenuous, because Grant and Armstrong had comparable/equal level seasons playing with Jordan as they did without him in '94, and also because it fails to account for the fact that "hey, we just lost a 30/6/6 player - of course the stats of our #3 and 4 players are going to improve."

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    late 90s Hill vs. '92-'96 Pippen how I see it...

- Hill had a better handle, more "guard-like" and a more explosive first step. Could beat his man easier off the dribble and was better at getting to the rim in a half court setting.
    - Pippen, especially after '93, unquestionably had a better jumper and more range (and yes, I know Pip's jumper could be quite inconsistent). Pippen was also a better post scorer.
    - Pippen was better in the open court, and because their strengths were in different areas in the half court, I'd call it even. Hill improved his jumper as his career went on, but it wasn't pretty during the late 90s.
    - They are even in playmaking skills and rebounding.
    - Hill was an average to good defender (feel like he gets underrated somewhat in this area, when he set his mind to it he could play good man to man D). Pippen was probably the best defender ever on the perimeter and would relentlessly disrupt the opposing team's offense. Pippen could change games to help his team win even when he was shooting 5/14 or something, Hill couldn't. It gave an added consistency to Scottie's game because your offense can betray you. Some of Pip's best games are where he scores 10 points but locks down the other team's star while patrolling the entire court with his long arms.

Hill was very good. Couple of his Pistons teams didn't have much, old ass Dumars was his next best player, he would win 50+ games with that team and was top 3 in MVP voting (behind Malone and MJ). Pippen was better though, he could do everything Hill could but dominate the game at both ends. That's really the only area where you can separate the two and Pippen has a considerable edge.
    Great post fatal. Pip dominated defensivly like a great defensive center.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado
    Do people realize that '94 Bulls team was supposed to fall apart after Jordan retired?
    If Scottie played the 10 games at the start of the season, they actually would have had a better record than the '93 team. And if Grant was healthy like he was in '93, they would have won 60+ (this would have given them the best record in the league and HCA). Pippen/Grant missed 22 games in '94 compared to 4 in '93. Could you imagine if they won more games that year, which they certainly would have if Pip/Grant didn't miss all those games? That would have been hard to explain. They also improved defensively despite the alleged "GOAT" defender leaving. A lot of things about the '94 Bulls just don't make sense...

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    This is incredibly disingenuous, because Grant and Armstrong had comparable/equal level seasons playing with Jordan as they did without him in '94, and also because it fails to account for the fact that "hey, we just lost a 30/6/6 player - of course the stats of our #3 and 4 players are going to improve."
    this is true. But like shaq attack said armstrong had no business making the allstar game. But point taken

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    If Scottie played the 10 games at the start of the season, they actually would have had a better record than the '93 team. And if Grant was healthy like he was in '93, they would have won 60+ (this would have given them the best record in the league and HCA). Pippen/Grant missed 22 games in '94 compared to 4 in '93. Could you imagine if they won more games that year, which they certainly would have if Pip/Grant didn't miss all those games? That would have been hard to explain. They also improved defensively despite the alleged "GOAT" defender leaving. A lot of things about the '94 Bulls just don't make sense...
    It makes sense. Pippen was a great leader. And was dominate in his own right.