Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Default Re: #47 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

RG, do you think Pierce is a point-forward?

U mirin my face?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    You make it seem like Pierce was a Scottie Pippen clone or something.

Gervin is better. As is Nique, Cunningham, Worthy and a few other.
    Pierce is a Scottie Pippen clone compared to Gervin, yes. What is Gervin better than Pierce at? Scoring? So do the other aspects not matter? It's not like Pierce was a slouch of a scorer, 27 ppg with very good efficiency.

No point in arguing with you, most people have outlined you as the biggest Pierce hater on here. Don't you have Reggie above Pierce? I think that alone says what I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by WockaVodka
    Pierce is a Scottie Pippen clone compared to Gervin, yes. What is Gervin better than Pierce at? Scoring? So do the other aspects not matter? It's not like Pierce was a slouch of a scorer, 27 ppg with very good efficiency.

No point in arguing with you, most people have outlined you as the biggest Pierce hater on here. Don't you have Reggie above Pierce? I think that alone says what I need to know.
    Pierce career assist 3.8 to Gervin's 2.6
    Pierce career boards 6 to Gervin's 5.3
    Pierce career high assist 5.1 to Gervin's 3.7
    Pierce career high boards 6.9 to Gervin's career high boards 8.4

Gervin is no worse than a Kevin Durant type, and everyone will take Durant over Pierce.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

To be fair Gervin did have a few years where he averaged 1.5 spg & 1 bpg in the same season, I do agree that he was ultimately a one-dimensional player, but a pretty damn good one. Best scorer in the league for a number of years, actually led the NBA in scoring 4 times on very good efficiency. One of the All-time great scorers.

Gervin also had numerous All-NBA First team selections and was top 5 in the mvp numerous of times, something Pierce has never been able to do.

Gervin was also 1 game away from leading his team to the Finals in 1979.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 09-27-2012 at 01:26 AM.

U mirin my face?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Pierce career assist 3.8 to Gervin's 2.6
    Pierce career boards 6 to Gervin's 5.3
    Pierce career high assist 5.1 to Gervin's 3.7
    Pierce career high boards 6.9 to Gervin's career high boards 8.4

Gervin is no worse than a Kevin Durant type, and everyone will take Durant over Pierce.
    Funny, how all of Gervin's career highs were never close to one another. The years he put up high rebound numbers were years he put up lower scoring and assist numbers and vice versa. Pierce put it together in his prime and in his peak.

Like I said, Gervin was not better than Pierce at anything other than scoring. Gervin was just a 30 ppg guy, that was it, he couldn't get you a lot of rebounds nor could he get you a lot of assists, Pierce could. Gervin couldn't defend as well either.

U mirin my face?

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Gervin also had numerous All-NBA First team selections and was top 5 in the mvp numerous of times, something Pierce has never been able to do.
    It kind of helps playing in like the weakest era of the NBA while Pierce played in one of the tougher eras.

It kind of helps playing in like the weakest era of the NBA while Pierce played in one of the tougher eras.
    WEAK ERA, TOUGH ERA.

Local High School Star

yea totally says the same guy who would vote in dwight after...but you know dwight's competition is so stiff today

the fact is even if gervins era was weak (I'm not sold on that) I learned you can't fault a player for dominating his peers...so you can't use the whole "weak era" nonsense on gervin

the fact is gervins accomplishments surpass pierces plain and simple...pierces time will come soon in this thread just not now

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    RG, do you think Pierce is a point-forward?
    [COLOR="White"]..[/COLOR]

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

There were years during Pierce's prime where he couldn't make All-NBA teams over guys like Peja, J. Oneal, S. Marion, & E. Brand. Gervin one year made the All-NBA First team over Magic Johnson himself.

U mirin my face?

There were years during Pierce's prime where he couldn't make All-NBA teams over guys like Peja, J. Oneal, S. Marion, & E. Brand. Gervin one year made the All-NBA First team over Magic Johnson himself.
    Ok, well like I said, I would go with Pierce because he was better all-around and media awards don't mean much to me, any media award really, not just All-NBA teams.

Where do you have Pierce ranked out of curiosity, in your perosnall all time list?

Funny, how all of Gervin's career highs were never close to one another. The years he put up high rebound numbers were years he put up lower scoring and assist numbers and vice versa. Pierce put it together in his prime and in his peak.

Like I said, Gervin was not better than Pierce at anything other than scoring. Gervin was just a 30 ppg guy, that was it, he couldn't get you a lot of rebounds nor could he get you a lot of assists, Pierce could. Gervin couldn't defend as well either.
    If you said just a 20 ppg guy, then I would agree with you. How many players have avg over 30 ppg in NBA History, not a lot.

Wilt
    Elgin
    Pettit
    Oscar
    West
    Bellamy
    Twyman
    Barry
    Kareem
    Tiny Archibald
    McAdoo
    King
    Dantley
    Wilkins
    Jordan
    M. Malone
    K. Malone
    Iverson
    Kobe
    McGrady
    LeBron
    Durant

Than the list get's cut way in half for he guys (like him) who did it multiple times. Then, he went on to win four scoring titles at it. Only Wilt and MJ have more. Then he went on to make countless All-NBA 1st teams. He has more 1st teams than PP has all of his 3rd and 2nd teams combined.

Gervin one year made the All-NBA First team over Magic Johnson himself.
    Huh ?

Gervin made All-NBA First Team 5 years in a row, 3 of them being in Magic's first 3 years. Magic's First team was All-NBA SECOND Team in 1982, the last time Gervin made an All-NBA First Team.

I think you can say Gus Williams made All-NBA team over Magic, but Gervin was already established.

Ok, well like I said, I would go with Pierce because he was better all-around and media awards don't mean much to me, any media award really, not just All-NBA teams.

Where do you have Pierce ranked out of curiosity, in your perosnall all time list?
    Come on man. If Pierce had like 7 All-NBA 1st teams, you know you'd bring that up to the discussion but since he doesn't have any, it doesn't mean anything.

His all-around talent is not that great for it to even be up for discussion. He's only been a 20/5/5 player once the same number of times as Michael Finley.

I mean, yeah, he's better all around than Gervin, but by how much really?

Durant>pierce..