Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Default Re: Who has the better Career, Tim Duncan vs Shaq

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogo
    They have equal careers but Shaq probably drops out of the top 10.
    SMH... TheLogo at his best.

As a person, this is no contest: Duncan is modest, down-to-earth, a great teammate und respectful to peers and rivals alike. Yet this has nothing to do with whom one should rate higher, something people sometimes tend to forget. It doesn't matter if he's become somewhat of a ringchaser, that doesn't take away the slightest bit from his various triumphs.

Personally, I think that Duncan accomplished tantamount team achievements with less, but on the other hand, Shaq's peak was so friggin' darn dominant, stat-wise and on the court as well, that it's really hard for me to decide. Let's just wait until both of those guys retire before we decide.

Very good NBA starter

Basketball is not a video game, and it's not all about individual statistics. It'd be foolish to deny the human aspect of the sport. Surely, personality, attitude, loyalty, work ethic, leadership, willingness to defer, and things of that nature play a part in the argument, at least imo, OP didn't exactly give us any requirements or guidelines etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Basketball is not a video game, and it's not all about individual statistics. It'd be foolish to deny the human aspect of the sport. Surely, personality, attitude, loyalty, work ethic, leadership, willingness to defer, and things of that nature play a part in the argument, at least imo, OP didn't exactly give us any requirements or guidelines etc.
    I agree completely but these kids on this site, who barely started watching can only look at the stat book.

Shaq, without a doubt.

I'd say Duncan but Shaq had the better peak

Banned

Duncan didn't have the luxury to play with a top 5 GOAT player and Duncan's team want him while Shaq is on loan.

Duncan didn't have the luxury to play with a top 5 GOAT player and Duncan's team want him while Shaq is on loan.
    I respectfully disagree that Kobe is a top 5 GOAT player. Winning 1 MVP and 2 championships as the best player on one's team does not match up with the other top 8-9 GOAT candidates' resumes.

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Duncan didn't have the luxury to play with a top 5 GOAT player

Kobe being a top 5 player ever =

I rule the local playground KoRn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rzp
    1999/2000? do u believe that a 20-year-old-ballhog-chuker-40%fg-Kobe-Bryant-wanna-be-the-alpha-dog-right-now was that mutch better than Parker and Manu combined?
    40% chucker? regular season 46.8 % playoffs 44%. stop making up stats and look them up. game 4 in overtime, shaq fouls out and kobe took over. 28 points on 14 of 27 with 4 rebounds and 5 assists.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Except you're WAY too stupid or biased to realize that simply having a better 2nd option doesn't mean you had more help.

If you look at what their casts did in the 2000 and 2003 playoffs respectively

Parker>Harper/Shaw
    Kobe>Ginobili/Jackson
    Bowen>Rice
    Robinson/Rose>Green/Horry
    Um, Kobe>That Entires Spurs roster minus Duncan. Like I said, Duncan won a championship with not just zero stars on his team, but zero all-stars. Shaq has always had a star wing player on his team, like Kobe, Wade, Penny, etc. I mean really, get this through your thick skull or take Shaq's fat balls out of your mouth.

If you honestly think 2000 Lakers minus Shaq <<<< 2003 Spurs Minus Duncan, you are only fooling yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Regardless of what you think about his work ethic/potential, it doesn't take anything away from what he actually did.
    Hm let me guess, your answer is Shaq?

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I think Duncan has more awards than Shaq. With that said, people will remember Shaq more than Duncan. Shaq is more famous, and had a better impact off the floor as well as in. Shaq also had a better prime.

Basically, I think Shaq had more impact on the NBA than Duncan did. But Duncan was more consistent in his success and have more rewards in a shorter time than Shaq.

Facts Are Misleading

It's always funny to me that basketball is literally the only sport where "prime" is so heavily considered in rankings. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just interesting.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    It's always funny to me that basketball is literally the only sport where "prime" is so heavily considered in rankings. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just interesting.
    I mentioned it in another thread, but does anyone hold MJ's last two seasons against him?

Look, Shaq had at LEAST 14 seasons in which he was a top-3-4 player in the league, and arguably around 6-7 as THE best. You would be hard-pressed to find too many other HOFers who played anywhere near as well, for as long.

Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Except you're WAY too stupid or biased to realize that simply having a better 2nd option doesn't mean you had more help.

If you look at what their casts did in the 2000 and 2003 playoffs respectively

Parker>Harper/Shaw
    Kobe>Ginobili/Jackson
    Bowen>Rice
    Robinson/Rose>Green/Horry
    Bowen better than Rice? Don't know about that one....