Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Raps nearing 4-year agreement with DeMar Derozan

Quote Originally Posted by bk33
    oh god why
    probably used Landry Fields as leverage "he got 7 mill per and I'm not worth 11?"
    I'm not thrilled with the Derozan signing. But that Landry Fields contract makes me mad everytime I think about it.

I'm just a basketball fan and I know that was a dumb move, how do people who WORK in basketball (specifically the Toronto Raptors) make such a bad decision? boggles the mind.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Apparently character and work ethic go a LONG way these days. Farther than talent and actual on-court production.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Apparently character and work ethic go a LONG way these days. Farther than talent and actual on-court production.
    first thing i thought of when i see this press release; Q on suicide watch lolll

Colangelo has never been about learning from his mistakes.

rather, he signs them to contract extensions. Where have we seen this one before, hmmmmm?

it's like a bad re-run. Going forward, the faces of the franchise ladies and gentleman, a SG who can't shoot or get to the rim consistently and a 7 footer how can't rebound

Default Re: Raps reach 4-year agreement with DeMar Derozan

Here's why this sucks the most:

[QUOTE]The Raptors should have had roughly $10 million in cap space next summer, with an amnesty option that could have taken that number to $15 million or more. Looking beyond even next summer, the team could have extended Lowry in the future with a sizable contract and still would have had plenty of breathing room going forward. With DeRozan

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Derozen now makes pretty much the same as Ty Lawson, Jrue and Steph Curry. Let that sink in. Totally expected signing.....now it's time to look forward to Ed Davis getting 4 yrs and $30 mill. We will eat up cap space over paying role players, then draft low upside guys to sit behind those same role players (Ross).

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Just when we have a glimmer of hope and optimism towards the season...

Time to bust out our "Fire Colangelo" avatars.

Meh there is really nothing to do about this moron.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Even loyal soldier Doug Smith took his blinders off for a moment and criticized this deal. That's when you know it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Himan12
    Meh there is really nothing to do about this moron.
    Firing him would be a pretty good start.

Fire Dwane Casey

Meh...don't know what to think of the extension. I mean I think it was evident that most of our capspace was going to DeRozan anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    Firing him would be a pretty good start.
    He's here to stay, MLSE had multiple opportunities to get rid of him. Just sit back , relax and watch him destroy the bright spots of this franchise while ruining his own reputation.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Whenever I think of Bryan Colangelo in a contract negotiation, I visualize Homer Simpson playing blackjack.

BC: "Ok, Demar $30 million."
    Demar: "Sounds good."
    BC: "Fine, $35 million."
    Demar: "Ummm yes"
    BC: "OK OK, $42 million my last offer!"
    Demar: "Sure, boss."
    (D'oh!)

Local High School Star

Wow... I really did not understand or expect that feedback.

Good posts makes me think more deeply.

I would opine the following however:

1) As I recall (memory) Kobe in his 5th year shot something like 43% and commited almost 5 turnovers a game - yet in many ways was still a game changer.

2) So my comments reflect that "I think we really understood" what Kobe, TMAC, Vince, etc were by year 5 in terms of being game changers.

3) [COLOR="Purple"]I really dont have a handle where to project Demar[/COLOR]. The points about off the dribble and mid point shooting are good points. Did those skills develop in TMAC - r did he have them all along ??? Given he is at market rate if he doesnt develop into a game changer his contract is probably moveable $10M per year ?? !! I suspect so.

4) As for CAP space - I am thinking those projections assume that Barges is still here at the same money. Barges is due next year and "shrugs" who knows? Doesnt our expensive Amir come due in 2 more as well ? Landry's back end loaded deal is up in 3... so all around I am not certain it "cripples our cap space by signing Demar and extending KLow.... but it will make it more challenging...

My personal opinion is no opinion... I will have a firm opinion in 2014. Lets see what we get.
    Last edited by Jballer; 11-02-2012 at 01:08 PM.

The way I see it, if DeRozan wants to be here as bad as Colangelo says he does, then why not make him play out the year and earn his contract? What's the rush to get it done before the deadline? As someone else said (or it may have been in that article posted), if somebody offers him more money and he bolts, then good riddance.

I like DeMar, I really do, and I hope he continues to improve and prove most of us wrong, but the money that Colangelo keeps throwing at these unproven players borders on ridiculous, especially given his flip flops between "rebuilding" and "contending now".

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I like DeMar, I really do, and I hope he continues to improve and prove most of us wrong, but the money that Colangelo keeps throwing at these unproven players borders on ridiculous, especially given his flip flops between "rebuilding" and "contending now".
    I like how Ross is slowly going to go from "NBA ready right away" to "full of potential" now that he probably won't see a shred of playing time. The spin doctor is at work.

I think we all hope Derozan proves us wrong but other than us hoping it happens because we're Raptors fans, there's little to suggest it will happen. What I hoppe will happen is often very different from what I think will happen. You can't blame Derozan one bit. If someone offers me an obscene amount of money I'm taking it regardless of whether I think I've earned it or not.