Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups Pearleojam's Avatar

Default Re: Is Anyone Still Sleeping On Manu Ginobili?

I love Manu & i hope he brings a new Olimpic medal for Argentina!

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

People have to stop acting like Manu is news every time he has a good game. Hes a multi time all star who was one of the 2-3 best players on a few title runs. Him having 20 something points is barely even news worthy. Its not like...a dumb thing to discuss because he did play well in an important game. But cmon...

I was on here 10 years ago with people saying he was the European Kobe before he got to the NBA. Topic must have been 200 posts and this was back when there might only be 10-20 people on at a time.

People were calling him better than Tmac in 04 and 05....

On here calling him top 3 at his position all time by like 08 ranking him over the likes of Jerry West, Wade, and so on.

Hes a great 6th man who goes off now and then.

On one of the more well known teams of the last decade.

He is not unknown and everyone is well aware of what he can do.

Just so happens hes not doing a lot as often as he used to so hes not as discussed. As was mentioned...this was his season high game.

Hes not gonna be talked about daily when more often than not he has 9 quiet points and 2 nice passes while the spurs win by being 10 deep.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

I argued back in 2004-2005 that Manu is a better player than Tracy McGrady. Would not have beaten him one on one, but as a team player and thinking of basketball as a team sport, while also considering their respective contracts, etc.

I was told (to be) a few things back then...

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    So why in the world is he NEVER considered to be not only one of, IF NOT THE 2ND BEST SG OF HIS ERA, but routinely isn't even considered one of the TOP BEST SG's in the NBA?

You could make his health a major reason why but in comparison:
    Games Played:
    Manu Ginobili ('02-now): 664
    Dwyane Wade ('03-now):594

70 games is the difference (which is nearly an NBA season which is exactly how much longer Manu has been in the NBA over Dwyane Wade).

And this is not a knock on Wade but a simple fact, Wade has 1 NBA Championship (so far), 1 Olympic Gold Medal (so far), 1 NBA Finals MVP, 8x NBA All Star but is routinely ranked as the 2nd best SG of his era (behind Kobe) and usually 3-5 All Time ranking behind Jordan, Kobe, West, and Drexler.

There is a case to be made that he in fact is the 3rd best SG of All Time or at least Top 5 All Time.
    Ginobili is a good shooting guard but d-wade>

National High School Star vinsane01's Avatar

I think manu is a type of player who is satisfied with minimal statistical contribution as long as it benefits the team as a whole. He has that win at all cost attitude. Im sure he can increase his production if really wanted to but it may had impeded progress and team chemistry as a downside. At times however, when the team is struggling and needs someone to step up, he can provide the needed boost. Just like we've seen today.

People have always sold him short. I know I have. He's just a killer who knows how to win. Doesn't have to pile up points, but he'll do all the little things to help his team.

And he's Mr. Clutch.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    Ginobili is a good shooting guard but Jerry West, d-wade>
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    Fixed.
    Let's be real here for a second, as far as SGs go, it's gonna end up being Jordan, Kobe, and Wade in that order

Let's be real here for a second, as far as SGs go, it's gonna end up being Jordan, Kobe, and Wade in that order
    Jordan, Kobe, West, Wade.

Unless your that GengisKhan kid...

Possibly. If Wade is able to stave off his decline for a few more years and win a another chip or two, than yes.

At this point in time, the top 3 remains Jordan, Kobe, and West, in that order. I don't know if I'd put Manu in the top 15 SG's ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Batz
    Jordan, Kobe, West, Wade.

Unless your that GengisKhan kid...
    nah, I think the original was fine

Well, it wasn't.

Nerp.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    People have to stop acting like Manu is news every time he has a good game. Hes a multi time all star who was one of the 2-3 best players on a few title runs. Him having 20 something points is barely even news worthy. Its not like...a dumb thing to discuss because he did play well in an important game. But cmon...

I was on here 10 years ago with people saying he was the European Kobe before he got to the NBA. Topic must have been 200 posts and this was back when there might only be 10-20 people on at a time.

People were calling him better than Tmac in 04 and 05....

On here calling him top 3 at his position all time by like 08 ranking him over the likes of Jerry West, Wade, and so on.

Hes a great 6th man who goes off now and then.

On one of the more well known teams of the last decade.

He is not unknown and everyone is well aware of what he can do.

Just so happens hes not doing a lot as often as he used to so hes not as discussed. As was mentioned...this was his season high game.

Hes not gonna be talked about daily when more often than not he has 9 quiet points and 2 nice passes while the spurs win by being 10 deep.
    LOL... cry me a river man

Ginobili is an all-time great player, regardless of specific placement. Him being compared to great players is hardly an insult, don't let overzealous fans change your opinion of a proven winner (internationally). He'll probably be a HOF'er and his jersey will one day be up in the AT&T Center.

If this was James Harden going off tonight, this board would be going all crazy in the way you remember the board going off for Manu (though prime Manu was better)... But when it's an accomplished player doing it, we should be up in arms when he gets recognition or is called underappreciated?

watch some of his game film. this dude (manu) has intangible game and gives 100% effort off the ball. You don't get that from many of the SG's today, the Kevin Martins, Monta Ellis's, and Michael Finley's. a quiet game from Manu can still have a surprisingly big impact.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    My bad cuzzo.

I'm talking about this thread I made over a month ago that stirred up quite the debate (here's the OP from that thread):

Why Is Manu So Underrated?

Just curious...

Manu Ginobili is a 3x NBA Champion (so far), has 1 Olympic Gold Medal, 2 FIBA Gold Medals, was the Italian League & Euroleague Finals MVP, a 2x NBA All Star ('05&'11), and the 2008 NBA Sixth Man of The Year.

So why in the world is he NEVER considered to be not only one of, IF NOT THE 2ND BEST SG OF HIS ERA, but routinely isn't even considered one of the TOP BEST SG's in the NBA?

You could make his health a major reason why but in comparison:
    Games Played:
    Manu Ginobili ('02-now): 664
    Dwyane Wade ('03-now):594

70 games is the difference (which is nearly an NBA season which is exactly how much longer Manu has been in the NBA over Dwyane Wade).

And this is not a knock on Wade but a simple fact, Wade has 1 NBA Championship (so far), 1 Olympic Gold Medal (so far), 1 NBA Finals MVP, 8x NBA All Star but is routinely ranked as the 2nd best SG of his era (behind Kobe) and usually 3-5 All Time ranking behind Jordan, Kobe, West, and Drexler.

Speaking of which, here's a comparison of Ginobili's stats against those SG's who are routinely ranked higher than him:

Manu Ginobili: Stats

Dwyane Wade: Stats

Jerry West: Stats

Clyde Drexler: Stats

As you can see, he has won more NBA titles (3) than each of the above (1) and his numbers are VERY COMPARABLE even though he NEVER put up more than 13 FG's/ game during the regular season while his Playoffs/ Finals numbers hold there own against these guys EVEN THOUGH HE WAS NEVER THE 1ST OPTION ON HIS TEAM which directly affects his PPG totals (as well as others) which most will use as a crutch to claim he wasn't as good as the other SG's.

How come Manu Ginobili is not as highly ranked as other SG's, presently or all time?

He is so underrated...smooth lefty, great handles, crafty, excellent shooter, innovator of the "Euro-step", great finisher, and more clutch than Drexler ever was while arguably just as or even more clutch than D Wade and Jerry West.

There is a case to be made that he in fact is the 3rd best SG of All Time or at least Top 5 All Time.

I don't get it. How are the stats comparable? Biggest reason Ginobili has 3 rings is cause he played with Tim Duncan. Not cause he was ever as good or better then Wade, West, or Drexler. Replace Ginobili with one of those guys and the Spurs may have more rings and are an even more dominant dynasty. T-Mac or AI would've won rings with Duncan as well.