Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: New video on Dominique Wilkins. One of the greatest scoring machines in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    Wilkins in his prime is just as good a scorer as Jordan.
    Not really. Not too close, either.

Local High School Star

Default Re: New video on Dominique Wilkins. One of the greatest scoring machines in history.

Nique didn't miss the Dream Team because of injury. He didn't make the cut because they either didn't see the need for him or didn't think he was deserving.

10 guys were picked before the 1991-92 season. They had to pick 1 college player and there was a spot for one more guy which went to Drexler after the terrific season he had.

Nique wasn't going to make it regardless of whether he was healthy or not.

From the guys in the OP, I'd take peak McGrady over Nique for sure, especially if he's guaranteed health throughout. Melo and Pierce are definitely not better than him.

Durant, I'll wait to pass a judgment on because he's still developing but from what we've seen till now, I'm inclined to side with Nique but a lot of it depends on the team make up. If I have a dominant post player, I may side with Durant because he's better off-ball and improves floor spacing. Two different styles for sure. Nique is more of a finisher, attacking from the mid-low post region. Taking a couple of power dribbles and finishing well. Also has a nice jab step for creating space and a dominant low post game. I think the way he uses the glass on those driving one handed jumpers/shots is the one shot that I'll never understand how anyone ever consistently made. I've literally never seen anyone make those consistently or actually have them in their arsenal.

Vince in 2001 when he was giving Eric Snow and Aaron McKie the business may have been better than Nique ever was and if I'm guaranteed effort and health, I'll prefer him. That stretch and I think he may have been better in that stretch with New Jersey right after the trade. But they're fairly close, to the point where I wouldn't argue that much if one sided with Nique.

Local High School Star

I just finished watching the video. GREAT work. I forgot how effective he was spinning on the drive. Underrated body control too.

The move at 5:00 on Gerald Wilkins is just nasty.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I thought Nique should have been on the dream team. They let him on the 94 team but people dont even remember them existing. By the way....the MVP voting from him prime(hes not in one year due to injury and one year they won 38 games)

Larry Bird (BOS) ........ 73 765
    Dominique Wilkins (ATL) . 5 407
    Earvin Johnson (LAL) .... 0 205
    Hakeem Olajuwon (HOU) ... 0 193
    K. Abdul-Jabbar (LAL) ... 0 135
    Charles Barkley (PHI) ... 0 133

Magic Johnson (LAL) ..... 65 733
    Michael Jordan (CHI) .... 10 449
    Larry Bird (BOS) ........ 1 271
    Kevin McHale (BOS) ...... 0 254
    Dominique Wilkins (ATL) . 0 128
    Charles Barley (PHI) .... 0 113
    Hakeem Olajuwon (HOU) ... 0 28
    Isiah Thomas (DET) ...... 0 17

Michael Jordan (CHI) .... 47 665
    Larry Bird (BOS) ........ 16 527
    Earvin Johnson (LAL) .... 16 508
    Charles Barkley (PHI) ... 1 109
    Clyde Drexler (POR) ..... 0 86
    Dominique Wilkins (ATL) . 0 55
    Hakeem Olajuwon (HOU) ... 0 40
    Karl Malone (UTA) ....... 0 36

Michael Jordan (CHI) .... 77 15 2 2 0 891
    Magic Johnson (LAL) ..... 10 31 27 13 6 497
    David Robinson (SAN) .... 6 31 29 16 6 476
    Charles Barkley (PHI) ... 2 8 16 15 21 222
    Karl Malone (UTA) ....... 0 4 8 18 20 142
    Clyde Drexler (POR) ..... 1 4 4 3 8 75
    Kevin Johnson (PHO) ..... 0 1 2 2 9 32
    Dominique Wilkins (ATL) . 0 1 2 3 3 29
    Terry Porter (POR) ...... 0 1 2 2 2 25
    Larry Bird (BOS) ........ 0 0 1 5 5 25
    Patrick Ewing (NYK) ..... 0 0 0 6 2 20

Charles Barkley (PHO) ... 59 27 10 2 0 835
    Hakeem Olajuwon (HOU) ... 22 42 19 12 2 647
    Michael Jordan (CHI) .... 13 21 50 12 2 565
    Patrick Ewing (NYK) ..... 4 8 18 55 8 359
    Dominique Wilkins (ATL) . 0 0 0 10 24 54
    David Robinson (SAN) .... 0 0 0 2 27 33
    Shaquille O'Neal (ORL) .. 0 0 1 4 13 30

I just finished watching the video. GREAT work. I forgot how effective he was spinning on the drive. Underrated body control too.

The move at 5:00 on Gerald Wilkins is just nasty.
    Yea that shit was incestuous. I knew someone would point it out.

Local High School Star

I'm fine with the way MVP voting views him. I wouldn't say he was better than Hakeem or Barkley in 1987 and 1988 but with the way they vote and how team success is weighed, he should be above them.

Kind of surprised to see McHale above him in 1987 since the Hawks won 57 and I'm sure the fact that McHale played with Bird hurt him. But I've heard a few people call 1987 McHale the best second option ever so it shouldn't be that surprising.

The only thing I'm surprised about is him getting over David Robinson in 1993 but him and the Spurs sort of had a down year.

Local High School Star

BTW, who would you replace Nique with for the Dream team?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Did Nique ever use his left hand? On almost every single play he would almost exclusively use his right hand. In the post, if he was on the left side he would drive right into the center of the lane, if he was posting on the right side he would spin back to his right. And when he drove, even when he would be going left once in a while, he'd finish with his right hand.

The Nightman Cometh Shadynasty's's Avatar

great video

I was never big on Drexler but I can see why in 92 he would be chosen. So id have to say Mullin if we arent counting the college player. He had just had his best season ever but he had not really proven what Nique had. And really Pippen as of 92? Bird made it in 92...because he was Larry Bird. Not because in his hobbled state he was the best player.

A lot of things factored in other than who was most deserving at the time.

Isiah and Nique making it over Stockton and Mullin would have made it close to the perfect team to represent the NBA of that era.

Id say:

Isiah/Stockton
    Jordan/Drexler
    Bird/Nique/Mullin
    Barkley/Malone/Mchale
    Ewing/Drob

Id say mchale or Worthy were more fitting for the concept of a dream team. Not better than Scottie in 92. at all. But Bird wasnt either. Hell the way they had it setup...2 retired people and a college kid? I might have called Kareem to get him some burn. He couldnt play in 68 when he would have gotten his gold medal.

Kareem makes that the perfect team far as that era of the NBA. Not the best it could have been though.

Best...id add college Shaq since I dont think Hakeem was a citizen yet.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 11-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.

im a youtube whore but i never seen this shit mane!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I mean...if the Lakers drafted Nique instead of Worthy does anyone feel that Nique doesnt get that top 50 spot while Worthy more likely gets snubbed like he was?

Nique might have been scorning 25-30 a game next to magic towards the late 80s when Kareem was less of a factor and he would be remembered as a winner and not a...dunker who scored.
    Yes, in 1981 fans were certainly salivating buckets at the prospects of Nique trailing Magic on the break. He did average 21 & 8 for Georgia as a junior and made it to the Final Four. While Worthy only averaged 16 & 6 for a loaded UNC team, he did dominate in the title game with 28 and 17.

Dominique was moody and made demands (refused to play for the Clips who had 2nd pick or the Jazz for 3rd).

It's naive ISH logic to just add him to the Showtime Lakers equation but think about it rationally & in hindsight. Adding Nique means he had to:
    [List][*]Sacrifice shots[*]Defer to KAJ (the first option till 86)[*]Play defense[/LIST]

Perhaps the main assumption here is the Riley & Magic culture could've changed his selfish mindset. That may have pushed the Showtime Lakers to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Peak Nique vs Peak Bernard King vs Peak Drexler who you guys got?
    Bernard King. He was one of the top 5 unstoppable scoring machines, ever. Stepped it up in the playoffs.

Then Drexler. All around brilliant performer. Better passer & rebounder than the other two. Great in the playoffs (1995 in particular) led two loaded teams to finals and won on 3rd trip.

Then Nique last. Awesome scorer, shitty passer, average rebounder, shitty defender, didn't step up in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Not really. Not too close, either.
    And why not? The dude put up 30 ppg seasons in his prime, that's not good enough to rival Jordan's scoring?

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    And why not? The dude put up 30 ppg seasons in his prime, that's not good enough to rival Jordan's scoring?
    The answer is simple: they scored differently.

Dominique was more of a streak shooter. His offense was mostly from 15 feet in, and in the playoffs, you play only the top teams. That is why Nique was easier to stop in the playoffs than Jordan, who stepped it up even more.

Just because someone averages 20 points a game doesn't mean he is a good scorer. He could be getting his points by breaking the offense or forcing bad shots or at his teammates' expense