Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Damian Lillard-Does he make a case for staying in school longer?

He came out of Weber State after 4 years and is already a stud. ROY then an all-star in just two years, not to mention a franchise centerpiece for Portland.

Default Re: Damian Lillard-Does he make a case for staying in school longer?

We don't know if he would have stayed for 4 years if he hadn't broken his foot. It doesn't really make a case for anything because he was an overlooked prospect that had to earn recognition. McD's All-American types don't need to worry about that. I'm sure it helped him mature as a player and person but his is a unique situation compared to top HS guys.

I think it depends on who the player is. Clearly it was a great idea for him because he came out as polished as can be, at least offensively speaking.

Does anyone dislike Damian? He's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengness9
    I think it depends on who the player is. Clearly it was a great idea for him because he came out as polished as can be, at least offensively speaking.

Does anyone dislike Damian? He's the man.
    Eh, it still rubs me the wrong way how much more attention he gets than Anthony Davis.

I've come to respect Lillard's game though. Fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Eh, it still rubs me the wrong way how much more attention he gets than Anthony Davis.

I've come to respect Lillard's game though. Fun to watch.

Well I hear where you are coming from but the attention Damian gets isn't his fault.

And to your point further more, AD is a lock for TEAM USA and Lillard is not.

But yeah for as good as AD is, he should be talked about more. They are both superstar material.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengness9
    Well I hear where you are coming from but the attention Damian gets isn't his fault.

And to your point further more, AD is a lock for TEAM USA and Lillard is not.

But yeah for as good as AD is, he should be talked about more. They are both superstar material.
    Agree for the most part.

BTW isn't he pretty likely to make it at this point? I get that we have a ton of guards but I think there are 16 guys left? I feel like I'd cut four other players before him.

National High School Star

This is why owners are pushing for an older age minimum. Less chances of drafting bust and immediately all top draft picks will be able to contribute more to the team right away which is the point of giving higher picks to worse teams. The whole system makes no sense and the lower age minimum has lowered the overall talent level of the league. Far too many guys on teams who are still a year or two away from getting on the court productively.

Look at Chandler Parsons. He was a 2nd round pick, you do that draft over again and he is going near the top.

Adam Silver will have the minimum changed soon, no question.

I've had some long posts on this very subject in past years on this board.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Some rarer players can come out of college early because they're fearless and tough already at heart. It won't take long for them to adapt.

Others meaning the majority needs to stay and dominate at the college level to bring out that confidence in them and learn how to play as a team.

Others have low bball IQ and need to learn at the lower level or else they'd get crushed in the league and never return

It all depends on the player, but a lot of them leave early for the money...and a lot of those players will never tap out their potential because of it.

I rule the local playground Svendiggity's Avatar

Staying in school helps you develop your mind and notice nuances on the court that one and done guy maybe wouldn't. Not saying you can't develop your mind without a degree, but being in a learning environment with people the same age as you, with similar goals, it almost forces you to grow as a person. One and done guys make millions and maybe become complacent because money was always what they wanted from the game.

Banned

If you get a guy after 4 years they basically primed

They rarely get much better, heck I think we already seen the best from lillard

Anyhow, I'm not sure if four years is necessary.

In the new MJ book by Lazenby, it mentions how Dean Smith felt the biggest improvement occurred between a guy's freshman and sophomore years. Obviously that won't hold for everybody, but if that is indeed the sweet spot, I don't see anything wrong with it. You'll get more finished products and fewer burn outs, and teams won't have to wait the full four years to draft players

I rule the local playground Svendiggity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    If you get a guy after 4 years they basically primed

They rarely get much better, heck I think we already seen the best from lillard
    Physical prime is different.

He'll grow as a leader and teammate. I can see him as a floor general and big shot maker for a title contender. To me that type of player is rarer than a young athletic kid with potential.

It doesn't help that seniors shoot themselves in the foot by not getting paid earlier. Also, by the time they get into their third contract, they're pretty much past their prime.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

That also brings up the bigger question of what would have changed if Tim Duncan didn't stay in college for all four years?

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    That also brings up the bigger question of what would have changed if Tim Duncan didn't stay in college for all four years?
    Enter Jermaine O'Neal

I remember back in the 2000's where people were using JO's career as the argument for taking high schoolers who weren't ready. JO pretty much sat on the bench for four years in Portland and then blew up as a "rookie" in Indiana.

No I'm not suggesting that he wasn't ready all that time in Portland, because that team was BAAAAD and loaded.

Of course, I think JO was the only player drafted out of HS who didn't produce his first 4 years and just blew up.