Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Iverson vs Drexler

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Portland was not stacked up top, but they had a well rounded team. After Drexler, their is a drop off. But after the stop, everything is even.
    Their second best player and their 9th man could give you the same production.

A team like Warriors in the early 90s was stacked, up top. You got three weapons as their best player. If Clyde had someone on his level as the second best player, it would have been different. Terry Porter was good, but imagine it that was Stockton, Tim Hardaway or KJ or Mark Price alongside Drexler.
    Didn't Porter tear Stockton ass up in the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Didn't Porter tear Stockton ass up in the playoffs?
    Hey, shit happens. That was just one playoffs. The other playoffs, Stockton was better.

But yeah, Terry went off when they went to their second Finals.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Porter is one of the biggest Jazz killers ever.

Local High School Star

Is iverson looking down while dribbling?

Iverson basically shot 45% after the rule changes in 2005, but that conveniently gets ignored in these type of threads.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    01-05 regular season = 29.5 ppg on 41,1%FG, 29,8% 3PT, 3.9 TOV, .133 WS/48, 103 ORTG

gets even worse in the Playoffs, where he took 28 shots a game to average 32 ppg on 40% shooting from 01-05

there's no way a player should be taking that many shots a game, when he can't even shoot a decent % like Kobe does, AI chucked even worse than Kobe and it hurt his teams.

but but, look at his handles!! let's disregard how he took 28 shots a game when he couldn't even make 40% of them, or how he took like 2000 jump shots for a season and shot under 35% on them
    No offense, but if you think "handles" were what made Iverson, you should stop watching basketball while you're ahead.

AI was able to get in the pass lanes and basically play like a cornerback would in the NFL. His playmaking gets underrated too. 6-8 assists a year with no real legit second scoring option?

Just think about the teams he was on. Or the team he led to the NBA finals. Philly was predicated on defense, which further proves my point. Dude didn't have much scoring options and should get more credit for carrying the load offensively.

You gotta go with Glyde. No doubt. But still a good comparison because of what they achieved per accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Iverson basically shot 45% after the rule changes in 2005, but that conveniently gets ignored in these type of threads.

No offense, but if you think "handles" were what made Iverson, you should stop watching basketball while you're ahead.

AI was able to get in the pass lanes and basically play like a cornerback would in the NFL. His playmaking gets underrated too. 6-8 assists a year with no real legit second scoring option?

Just think about the teams he was on. Or the team he led to the NBA finals. Philly was predicated on defense, which further proves my point. Dude didn't have much scoring options and should get more credit for carrying the load offensively.

You gotta go with Glyde. No doubt. But still a good comparison because of what they achieved per accomplishments.
    I'm just saying how the casual fan views Iverson. He was a great player no doubt, but he was a notorious chucker and it hurt his overall game.

Default Dr. Jack breaks down this match-up

The Dr. Jack styled breakdown:

Originality: Allen Iverson was definitely unique, but he wasn't original: he was merely the latest and greatest version of the scoring little man first pioneered by Tiny Archibald in the early 70s

Quote Originally Posted by ShackEelOKneel
    Iverson is the better player as an individual, but I think Drexler would merge better with most teams.

agree with this

How is Iverson better individually when Drexler is better than AI at everything besides dribbling?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    What, get out of here.

Yeah I kinda went too far when I said that.... I should have said that Dumars had a better team compared to Drexler.

Drexler by a large margin

Definitely Drexler. Dude gets underrated quite a lot. Had the misfortune of coming into his prime when the Pistons and Bulls were winning titles.

But yeah, if Houston had traded Sampson to Portland back in 84 for Clyde and that second pick ...

Sampson was so highly rated back then.

Learning to shoot layups

Give the ball dominant scorers all freedom in the world....And they will never change from that point

Even T-Mac is trying to make a comeback thinking some flabby and sick team will give him to shotjacking minutes.

Both Clyde and AI could do it all, the problem is, that it's a big man's game, ain't no 6'0 guy is gonna lead your team to championship unless it's Isiah and the bad boys crew. Give me a guy that can do it all and is inches taller, all day everyday.

Also when Drexler joined the rockets he was as important as Hakeem there, he blended well there. When AI kept changing teams they were not doing any better.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiseryCityTexas
    Not too many 6 foot players have ever dunked on Marcus Camby, but Iverson did it like it was nothing.
    Big man not named Lebron does that on a guard, over the back. Little man does it to a big? Highlight!

Iverson was the better volume scorer but prime Drexler could also give you 25+ PPG on pretty good efficiency; Glyde was obviously a better rebounder (as he should); you can call it a wash when it comes to passing/playmaking (AI being the better ballhandler), and even the same on defense but Clyde's body enabled him to guard a bigger variety of players, he also got a good amount of steals and almost 1 BPG, so I'd go with him on D.

Overall, I'd definitely go with Drexler... doesn't mean that it ain't close though.