Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who will succeed in the NBA more: Royce White or Jared Sullinger?

Jared Sullinger (6'9") and Royce White (6'8") have a lot of similarities. Both are PFs who are probably too slow to defend athletic NBA SFs.

Biggest differences:
    [LIST][*]White's handle and court vision are far superior to Sullinger's.[*]Sullinger's jumper and post skills are superior to White's.[*]Sullinger has potential back issues. White has potential anxiety/persnality issues.[/LIST]
    Basically, we are looking at a jump shot versus play-making.

I take Sullinger over White. I think White's strength will not translate as well to the NBA.

White is going to get Rajon Rondo treatment because of his nonexistent jumper and terrible free throw shooting (49.8% FT). I see him struggling to create in the half court since he will not be beating people off the dribble and he can't bull his way through the NBA like he did in college.

On the other hand, Sullinger's career may follow the path of Big Baby, who had his shot blocked countless times before he figured out how to score at the NBA level.

What do you think? Who will succeed more in the NBA? Royce White or Jared Sullinger?

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Who will succeed in the NBA more: Royce White or Jared Sullinger?

I just can't see White's game translating well on a team that plays winning basketball. He got a ton of freedom at Iowa State. Sullinger is someone that can immediately give you points in the paint and rebounding.

King James

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    King James

White will still be a bull in the NBA. Dude is unatturally wide.

I think both will succeed.

They are going to have to pull an A-Team Tactic for Royce to just get on a plane man.

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    What do you think? Who will succeed more in the NBA? Royce White or Jared Sullinger?
    This question is a little loaded, because most people will feel that the player not picked is assumed bust status.

I actually had the Celtics drafting both of these guys, they were in fact my draft targets. I see them both as top 10 picks based on talent.
    See here: Celtic Nation Mock Draft 3.0

Who will be a better pro? Well that depends on the situation.

-Jared Sullinger is going to be surrounded by veterans, and teamed in the front court with Kevin Garnett. Each of their areas of strength covers the other's weakness. Garnett does not score consitently down low, Sullinger does. Sully is a slow-footed defender, KG is nimble. Sullinger's floor is Sean May (with the injuries) and his ceiling is Kevin Love with a slightly lower rebound rate.

-Royce White was my favorite college player last season. He has a truly unique game and skill-set. He has been compared to: Anthony Mason, Charles Barkley, Boris Diaw, Jamal Mashburn, Billy Owens, Antoine Walker, LeBron James, and one startling comparison to Maurice Stokes - erm, no! The Rockets are the wrong spot for him, they are full of power forwards (9 at last count), and McHale will not have a lot of patience for him.

I think either Terrence Jones or Royce White (potentially both) are going to be included in a trade - whoever gets them will be very lucky. White's best landing spot would have been Denver. He is fantastic at handing off to cutting guards, and Lawson would have excelled playing with Royce White, basically Andre Miller in a beast's body.

To answer your question, right now Sullinger will have the better career. If White goes to a team that is open to using him for his elite abilities, then it's a toss-up.

I'd take Royce. I think he creates more match-up problems at the next level and his shooting stroke doesn't look all that bad mechanically. I think he will develop an consistent jumper that he can hit from 18-20 feet out over time.

Sullinger is prob a guy that a contender like Boston would want right now but I think Royce has the better career.

I never meant to imply that the player not picked would be a bust. I'm just curious who people think will flourish more.

I definitely agree Sullinger has a better situation to thrive in. It will be interesting to see what the Rockets do with White.

Raz

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I'd take Royce. I think he creates more match-up problems at the next level and his shooting stroke doesn't look all that bad mechanically. I think he will develop an consistent jumper that he can hit from 18-20 feet out over time.
    The only problems with his jumper right now:
    1. He falls left on jump shots, and points his feet slightly to the left. He compensates for this by shooting slightly right (as you can see from his fiollow through, his right elbow flairs out). Easily corrected.
    2. He has HUGE hands (like Rondo, Shaq and Wilt).
    This is harder to correct - He's going to have to make sure to hold the ball more loosely using a light flick of the wrist on his follow through. Less left hand on the ball.
    3. Release point - on free throws he doesn't release the ball at the apex.

With a lot of practice hours he should be able to fix these issues. At best he should be a 70-75% free throw shooter, and have a respectable mid range game.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Sullinger. Smart ball player. White will be another Jerome Lane.. .

Raz

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    I never meant to imply that the player not picked would be a bust. I'm just curious who people think will flourish more.

I definitely agree Sullinger has a better situation to thrive in. It will be interesting to see what the Rockets do with White.
    Oh, I didn't think you were implying that. It's just what people will assume. It becomes a battle of opposites.

I like both of these guys and can see them both having 15 year NBA careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    The only problems with his jumper right now:
    1. He falls left on jump shots, and points his feet slightly to the left. He compensates for this by shooting slightly right (as you can see from his fiollow through, his right elbow flairs out). Easily corrected.
    2. He has HUGE hands (like Rondo, Shaq and Wilt).
    This is harder to correct - He's going to have to make sure to hold the ball more loosely using a light flick of the wrist on his follow through. Less left hand on the ball.
    3. Release point - on free throws he doesn't release the ball at the apex.

With a lot of practice hours he should be able to fix these issues. At best he should be a 70-75% free throw shooter, and have a respectable mid range game.
    Yeah, he doesn't have any drastic flaws in his shot which is good. I doubt he has ever really put that much work into his jumper because he has always had such a big physical/skill advantage. Give him some time with NBA coaches and unrestricted practice time and he will be fine.

too early to tell but right now i like Royce.

Saw a basketball once

I think the Rockets should base a trade around sending Royce and Kevin Martin to Philly for Iguodala. Both teams create room to play their picks and fill an obvious need in the lineup. Philly gets the added bonus of Martin's expiring contract to coincide with Brands's expirer after next year.