Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-08-2007, 04:29 AM   #16
JoHnShOeZ1492
LeBron for 12 MVP

JoHnShOeZ1492 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Gerald Green or Rudy Gay

Gays a Starter, right? Greens Not, end of story
JoHnShOeZ1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman

el_locoteee has decent reputationel_locoteee has decent reputation

Its funny they got about the same stats last season and they both played for some really bad team.

Gerald Green
PPG 10.4
RPG 2.6
APG 1.0
SPG .51
BPG .30
FG% .419
FT% .805
3P% .368
MPG 22.0

Rudy Gay
PPG 10.8
RPG 4.5
APG 1.3
SPG .91
BPG .95
FG% .422
FT% .727
3P% .364
MPG 27.0

They are futures stars but not yet not next season.

Not clear winner to me.
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:50 AM   #18
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far

Is Gay older then Green as well? I don't think many people are considering this either, they just think Gay is better because he was getting more attention then Green was. Green, at this stage, is better them McGrady was at the same age. I think he might drop statistic wise this year because of both Pierce and Allen being able to start over him, but I think skill wise, he might be better then he was last year.

Anyway for the people that are picking Gay 'without a doubt', you guys should consider a couple of things and research a little instead of just going by the whole rookie hype thing that happens every year.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:56 AM   #19
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Green has a very low basketball IQ, that alone seals the deal for me. I have to take Gay.

Gay does a lot on the court too. He seems to be involved the whole time on the court, he's always doing something. On the otherhand if Green isn't scoring, he's looking lost.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:58 AM   #20
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_locoteee
Its funny they got about the same stats last season and they both played for some really bad team.

Gerald Green
PPG 10.4
RPG 2.6
APG 1.0
SPG .51
BPG .30
FG% .419
FT% .805
3P% .368
MPG 22.0

Rudy Gay
PPG 10.8
RPG 4.5
APG 1.3
SPG .91
BPG .95
FG% .422
FT% .727
3P% .364
MPG 27.0

They are futures stars but not yet not next season.

Not clear winner to me.
What you forgot to mention was that, that those stats you posted are from Green's second season and Gay's rookie season. Not much of a fair comparison when, Green is more developed than he was in his rookie season and Gay, who has quite a bit of developing to go.

Gay's Rookie Season:
PPG 10.8
RPG 4.5
APG 1.3
SPG .91
BPG .95
FG% .422
FT% .727
3P% .364
MPG 27.0

Green's Rookie Season:
PPG 5.2
RPG 1.3
APG 0.6
SPG 0.4
BPG 0.1
FG% .478
FT% .784
3P% .300
MPG 11.7

So, in both player's rookie season, apart from shooting percentages, Gay's stats are more than double Green's stats. And that's just going by stat's, which doesn't tell the whole story. Imagine what Rudy's stats will be after his second season, I bet it will be higher than what Green averaged this season.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:01 AM   #21
Hopeless206
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Hopeless206 has an OK reputation so far

Its no debate at all at this point, Rudy Gay.
Hopeless206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:05 AM   #22
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
So, in both player's rookie season, apart from shooting percentages, Gay's stats are more than double Green's stats. And that's just going by stat's, which doesn't tell the whole story. Imagine what Rudy's stats will be after his second season, I bet it will be higher than what Green averaged this season.

Should we really mention per 40/48 minutes stats on here? Let's just go by skills instead of statistics huh? It's for the best. Green pretty much owns Gay in statistics.

Also, if you want to do it by stats, look at whose team is weaker. Green had Pierce, Gomes, Sczcerbiak, to play behind, whilst Gay was pretty much given the starting position when he got there. There are a lot of things to consider, but I wouldn't use stats as one of them.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:06 AM   #23
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless206
Its no debate at all at this point, Rudy Gay.

Why is it seriously no debate? I don't get it. How could Gay be miles better then Green is?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #24
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman

el_locoteee has decent reputationel_locoteee has decent reputation

Quote:
What you forgot to mention was that, that those stats you posted are from Green's second season and Gay's rookie season. Not much of a fair comparison when, Green is more developed than he was in his rookie season and Gay, who has quite a bit of developing to go.

Gay's Rookie Season:
PPG 10.8
RPG 4.5
APG 1.3
SPG .91
BPG .95
FG% .422
FT% .727
3P% .364
MPG 27.0

Green's Rookie Season:
PPG 5.2
RPG 1.3
APG 0.6
SPG 0.4
BPG 0.1
FG% .478
FT% .784
3P% .300
MPG 11.7

Im not comparing by season but by age. Green and Gay have the same age. you cant compare a guy drafted from High school, with a guy with college experience. If gay where drafted from high school his stats wil be the same or wort than Green.

Just look at t-mac and kobe rookie season and Gay will never be one of those guys.

Last edited by el_locoteee : 07-08-2007 at 05:13 AM.
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #25
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
Should we really mention per 40/48 minutes stats on here? Let's just go by skills instead of statistics huh? It's for the best. Green pretty much owns Gay in statistics.

Also, if you want to do it by stats, look at whose team is weaker. Green had Pierce, Gomes, Sczcerbiak, to play behind, whilst Gay was pretty much given the starting position when he got there. There are a lot of things to consider, but I wouldn't use stats as one of them.
I fail to see where Green "owns" Gay in stats. Or did you mean in per 48? Because when I look at both sets of stats posted I fail to see where Green has got the edge over Gay.

If we are not considering stats, then I still take Gay. Gay is a better leader than Green and a better defender. Also, like Senor Cedric said, Green has a low IQ of basketball. I believe he(Green) would of been a better player and have a higher basketball IQ if he would of gone to college, but he didn't. If Green did go to college then choosing between the two would be much tougher to call. But as of right now, I'd take Gay.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #26
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Green hasn't really shown me anything but being a poor man's Latrell Sprewell, if even that much.

I like what Rudy can do though. I think his ceiling is around T-Mac.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #27
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
I fail to see where Green "owns" Gay in stats. Or did you mean in per 48? Because when I look at both sets of stats posted I fail to see where Green has got the edge over Gay.

Ok, so I didn't look it up. But it's quite easy to see that if Green has 5 points 11 minutes, and Gay has 10 points in 27 minutes, then logically, Green will score more points in 40 or 48 (I prefer 40, more realistic) then Gay will score. But of course it doesn't work because players get tired, and they need their breaks, but it's not fair to judge statistics that are up to 15 minutes apart. You can't really say that Gay is miles apart better when he's been given a chance to show what he has with the Grizzlies. As i mentioned earlier, Green has a lot of players in front of him. He had Pierce, Sczcerbiak, Gomes and a couple others that have slipped my mind at the moment. Gay hasn't got a single guy to compete with for time at the SF spot in Memphis. Sure, they might to a couple in-game moves, but when you have a look at it, it's only him playing in the SF position.

Quote:
If we are not considering stats, then I still take Gay. Gay is a better leader than Green and a better defender. Also, like Senor Cedric said, Green has a low IQ of basketball. I believe he(Green) would of been a better player and have a higher basketball IQ if he would of gone to college, but he didn't. If Green did go to college then choosing between the two would be much tougher to call. But as of right now, I'd take Gay.

You're right. Thank you for actually arguing your point finally, instead of being like all these clowns and just saying 'Oh Gay, without a doubt'. Yes, defense is a big part of the game, and Gay is a much better defender then Green is, but that's not saying Green can't improve to be somewhat close to what Gay is, and that's not saying that Gay can't even further improve. Greens basketball IQ isn't as bad as people make it out to be, he knows where his man is on defense, and he knows where he needs to be on offense, he's just no effective at being there all the time. I think mentally, he just isn't the same player as Gay is. But, they are the same age, and you can't say that either will or wont improve at this point.

There wasn't much to Greens game that could be fixed in college. He could've added some more range on his shot, and learned to play in an organised offense before going to the NBA, but the D-League is really doing wonders for players nowadays, and since he's not part of the rotation at Boston, or wasn't, the D-League did well in developing him as well. Giving him real game experience and time to learn things about the game of basketball.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #28
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
Ok, so I didn't look it up. But it's quite easy to see that if Green has 5 points 11 minutes, and Gay has 10 points in 27 minutes, then logically, Green will score more points in 40 or 48 (I prefer 40, more realistic) then Gay will score. But of course it doesn't work because players get tired, and they need their breaks, but it's not fair to judge statistics that are up to 15 minutes apart. You can't really say that Gay is miles apart better when he's been given a chance to show what he has with the Grizzlies. As i mentioned earlier, Green has a lot of players in front of him. He had Pierce, Sczcerbiak, Gomes and a couple others that have slipped my mind at the moment. Gay hasn't got a single guy to compete with for time at the SF spot in Memphis. Sure, they might to a couple in-game moves, but when you have a look at it, it's only him playing in the SF position.
I see your point. It's unfair to compare player's stats because, 1) The minutes each player plays and 2) Competition for the starting spot. I agree with not comparing 2(or more) players based solely on their stats because it doesn't tell the whole story. Stats only tell a portion of the story and even then they are not reliable. I did, however, compare stats before because el locotee brought them up and I just felt I had to show him that in their rookie seasons they had quite noticable gaps in their stats.

Quote:
You're right. Thank you for actually arguing your point finally, instead of being like all these clowns and just saying 'Oh Gay, without a doubt'. Yes, defense is a big part of the game, and Gay is a much better defender then Green is, but that's not saying Green can't improve to be somewhat close to what Gay is, and that's not saying that Gay can't even further improve. Greens basketball IQ isn't as bad as people make it out to be, he knows where his man is on defense, and he knows where he needs to be on offense, he's just no effective at being there all the time. I think mentally, he just isn't the same player as Gay is. But, they are the same age, and you can't say that either will or wont improve at this point.

There wasn't much to Greens game that could be fixed in college. He could've added some more range on his shot, and learned to play in an organised offense before going to the NBA, but the D-League is really doing wonders for players nowadays, and since he's not part of the rotation at Boston, or wasn't, the D-League did well in developing him as well. Giving him real game experience and time to learn things about the game of basketball.
Hopefully Green can improve because he is a young, talented player with potential. But if he did go to college I believe he would of got that slight mental improvement, which Gay has, which would of helped him to know where he's got to be on offense and to know what the strengths and weakness' are of the player he is defending, e.g. if the player he is defending is right handed force him on to his left hand and force him to an area where he is uncomfortable. These kind of things eventually add up and he would be a better player with higher IQ.

Last edited by Kebab Stall : 07-08-2007 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #29
Hopeless206
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Hopeless206 has an OK reputation so far

I guess i have to explain myself.

I would take Rudy Gay because he is a better defender and more aware of whats happening around him. If I was trying to win games now I would take Gay because I belive he is better adapted to playing in high pressure situations than Green due to his college experence. I might take Green if I had the time to nuture and devlop his game, but he couldn't contribute all around like Gay can right away.

As for saying theres "No Debate", thats my bad.
Hopeless206 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: