Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Karl Malone vs Dirk Nowtizki

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    On an individual basis, Karl Malone without question.

I could be swayed to pick Nowitzki depending on the make-up of the team. Just depends what you're looking for. If I pick Malone, I want a guy on my team that I can trust in the clutch for a basket. If I pick Nowitzki, I want him surrounded by defenders.
    If you pick Dirk, you need not only solid defenders around him, but also good scorers. When Dirk is hot - he is great, when he is not - he is liability, since he doesnt contribute much outside it.

For example, after three Finals '11 games Mavs were down 1-2. They needed Dirk to elevate his game, yet he was shooting 37% 2PT (much less outside of clutch) and 20% from 3PT in the remaining games, would Mavs won if they had to rely on Dirk's scoring? No. They were winning last game with Dirk having 1-12 by the half. And thats speaking about scoring, Dirk's strongest side by far.

Thats why its so hard to build around Dirk, and easier around Malone. Even if Malone had a bad day, he at least could contribute better with solid defense, rebounding, screens and passing.

I think it's definitely a legit comparison. I also believe the more quality years Dirk plays the closer it gets. But I still give the edge to Malone. Malone was among the league's best players for 15 straight years. And made the all-nba 1st team for 11 straight years. That's alot to compete with for anybody, let alone Dirk. Dirk's biggest streak with the first team was 3 straight years for some perspective. And one of the most impressive things about Malone's career is the fact he was a top 10 MVP canidate from 88'-01'. That is pretty unreal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    If you pick Dirk, you need not only solid defenders around him, but also good scorers. When Dirk is hot - he is great, when he is not - he is liability, since he doesnt contribute much outside it.

For example, after three Finals '11 games Mavs were down 1-2. They needed Dirk to elevate his game, yet he was shooting 37% 2PT (much less outside of clutch) and 20% from 3PT in the remaining games, would Mavs won if they had to rely on Dirk's scoring? No. They were winning last game with Dirk having 1-12 by the half. And thats speaking about scoring, Dirk's strongest side by far.

Thats why its so hard to build around Dirk, and easier around Malone. Even if Malone had a bad day, he at least could contribute better with solid defense, rebounding, screens and passing.
    So hard to build around him that you can win a championship against 3 teams each with 2 top 15 players in the NBA.

Good college starter Nash-tastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    So hard to build around him that you can win a championship against 3 teams each with 2 top 15 players in the NBA.
    Yeap, only took 13 years

Quote Originally Posted by Nash-tastic
    Yeap, only took 13 years
    Malone tried (and failed) for 19 years.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Malone tried (and failed) for 19 years.
    Against stronger competition. Those Jazz teams from the second three-peat are superior to any Nowitzki team. If they were placed into current day, they would be world champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Against stronger competition. Those Jazz teams from the second three-peat are superior to any Nowitzki team. If they were placed into current day, they would be world champions.
    So you're suggesting the Mavs had an easy ride to the championship this season?

I'd say that sweeping the reigning champions (LA Lakers 4-0) and beating the most hyped team in recent memory (Heat) was hardly easy.

But the Mavs made it look that way.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    So you're suggesting the Mavs had an easy ride to the championship this season?
    Are you comparing Kobe's Lakers to the Olajuwon/ Barkley/ Drexler Rockets?
    Are you comparing the Heat to the Bulls?

in 97-98 Malone (& Stockton) had to go through:
    Houston - Olajuwon, Drexler, Barkley (3-2)
    San Antonio - Robinson, Duncan (4-1)
    LA Lakers - O'Neal, Jones, Bryant, Van Exel etc (4-0)
    THEN, they played out of their minds against the Bulls, but came up short.

This team would trounce the Mavs. They swept Shaq with an amazing supporting cast, dominated the twin towers, and beat 3 HOFers on one team.

Malone.

Arguably better scorer,defender,passer and rebounder.

But Dirk arguably better shooter,clutch and leader.

Let's not forget Malone lost 2 finals to Jordan's Bulls. Against GOAT player and coach,against a team that can get 72 wins,with 3 HOF.

Nowitzki and probably any other superstar would have 0-2 against Bulls.They won championship every year when Jordan was on team, in all decade.

Great college starter

Dirk is my choice after this season. Not because of the ring, but because he showed something new this year. He passed from the double team as well as I've ever seen anyone do it. He made great plays because of his passing. He surprised the **** out of me. Malone ****s 12 year olds.

Banned

The same people voting Malone here have Russell in their top 3 in their all time lists..

Serious playground baller miamiandorlando's Avatar

Malone

Malone - All day, every day. Better player almost in every regard

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison

Could not disagree more. Its harder to build around Malone because Malone simply can't consistently carry a team late in games in the playoffs. Not to mention so much of Malone's production came off easy baskets created by Stockton that simply aren't there when the defense locks in late.

Its a legit comparison, but in those inevitable close playoff games with 5 minutes left....Dirk is hands down the player you want. So you need to find a great late game player for Malone. Thats harder to find in my opinion than a guy like tyson chandler or jet terry or an aging marion/kidd/peja...

Its hilarious how you say Dirk is hard to build around. 11 straight 50 win seasons. 2 finals appearances. 1 title. Did that in the era of shaq/kobe and duncan in his conference....with all of them playing with better help and better coaching. LOL at hard to build around....Dirk and his teams have consistently performed very well with high turnover. New coaches and players and one thing stays the same...Dirk getting you 50 or more wins and dirk putting up 26/10/3 in the playoffs on one of the best overall efficiency in playoff history.