Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do movie theaters shoot themselves in the foot with concession prices?

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    'Murica.

wherever they come from, those beef n cheddars are tasty

Default Re: Do movie theaters shoot themselves in the foot with concession prices?

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    Movie popcorn too good doe

1 bucket is worth admission price without even seeing a film at all, just bounce and Netflix
    It's something they put in the popcorn. Google it.

You can buy it yourself. It makes it sweeter.

Also, tickets are expensive depending on where you go and what type of luxury you want in terms of picking seating and type of seats. AMC has reclined chairs which I thought is dope.

$18-21 per ticket. I rarely buy food or popcorn.

I only go when I want to support a major director or really liked a trailer for a hyped movie. The next movie I'll be seeing is "US" and I'll happily pay because Jordan Peele hasn't let me down yet. Get Out was great.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    This is stuff that all moviegoers have wondered but I'm afraid the answer is not that simple.

Movies have limited seatings, which is a problem, because this means capped demand.

For example, on current prices, lets say 25% of moviegoers are willing to buy the popcorn.

Lets say current popcorn prices are $6. Cost to theater is $0.5
    This is a profit of $5.50

Lets say they lower the price to a fair $2. This is a profit of $1.5

$5.50/$1.50=3.6

3.6*25%=90%.

So, at $2, in order to get the same amount of profit, they need 90% of the audience to buy popcorn. That's not very realistic.
    The part that you're completely discounting and ignoring is the fact that we're not dealing with round the clock sold out theaters.

I mean... locally? Theaters have sold out screenings maybe 3 or 4 nights a year tops? TOPS?

So the point being... perhaps more people attend the movies outright, and a higher percentage buy concessions... to perhaps equal greater profit overall.

There's no way to know without trying it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

If they cut the price of concessions they wouldn't make any profit you calico ape. That's how they make money. They only make about 50% of profit from ticket sales in the country and even less in other countries. They have to make the money on concessions. Frankly, I've always just brought in what I wanted to drink or eat most of the time anyway in my pocket anyway and I'm sure they lose 70% of concession sales that way since they obviously aren't going to pat someone down. Anyway. Shut the fukk up. You're a fukking sewer monkey and this was a stupid fukking thread.

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    How much do you guys pay for a cinema ticket now?

Here they've raised it to around $24 which is insane. Everyone uses discounts through phone provider loyalty programs etc for $11-$15. Not many people walk in and pay full price anymore. And they wonder why we pirate more than anyone in the world

The snacks have always been on the pricey side but you can usually get combos of popcorn, drink and choc top for about $15 or so
    They have 3 or 4 places in Brisbane here that are 7 dollar tickets. Only place I go.

I can't justify paying $20+ to go watch a single movie, and then on top of that pay another $15 for snacks. That is a nice meal and drink with my missus, which I'd much rather do than spend 2 hours looking at a screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    If they cut the price of concessions they wouldn't make any profit you calico ape. That's how they make money. They only make about 50% of profit from ticket sales in the country and even less in other countries. They have to make the money on concessions. Frankly, I've always just brought in what I wanted to drink or eat most of the time anyway in my pocket anyway and I'm sure they lose 70% of concession sales that way since they obviously aren't going to pat someone down. Anyway. Shut the fukk up. You're a fukking sewer monkey and this was a stupid fukking thread.
    Glad to see you read the thread title and that

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    You literally only read the title and didn't read any article or replies about it. Knee jerk reaction on your part.

Very good NBA starter

in this day and age, i would be shocked if corporations that operate movie theaters haven't done all the analytics to determine optimal pricing level of everything that maxes profit.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    in this day and age, i would be shocked if corporations that operate movie theaters haven't done all the analytics to determine optimal pricing level of everything that maxes profit.
    You say that... but... when's the last time you saw ticket prices or concessions go down in price? I've literally never seen a single theatre "permanently"(more than a day) lower prices on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    The part that you're completely discounting and ignoring is the fact that we're not dealing with round the clock sold out theaters.

I mean... locally? Theaters have sold out screenings maybe 3 or 4 nights a year tops? TOPS?

So the point being... perhaps more people attend the movies outright, and a higher percentage buy concessions... to perhaps equal greater profit overall.

There's no way to know without trying it.
    Umm..lower concessions price don't equal many more people coming. People come for the movies.

Plus, there are increased cost to more people buying concessions that haven't been mentioned. Higher cleaning fees, bigger storage, more employees, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Umm..lower concessions price don't equal many more people coming. People come for the movies.
    Do you have data to support that? I straight up told you earlier in this thread that I have in the past and continue to this day... avoiding going to the movies because I don't want to sit there not eating anything, smuggle food, or pay the concession prices... I doubt I'm alone. Those are the three options unless I want to pony up an unreasonable amount of money for one individual, never mind when someone is with me.

I hate to put a number on it for other people, but for me personally? If I could go to the movies for like $8-$10 overall including food and viewing, I would go a lot more often. $20 overall for one individual to eat and view leads to me really only going when I really want to see a movie.

Plus, there are increased cost to more people buying concessions that haven't been mentioned. Higher cleaning fees, bigger storage, more employees, etc.
    That's true... which is why I said maybe they could hit a sweet spot of increased volume at lesser prices and the more costly aspects, as you mentioned.
    Last edited by Ben Simmons 25; 03-17-2019 at 11:57 AM.

NBA Legend

OP, if youre looking for quality entertainment media, why didnt you just say so!?

I recently released a book on Amazon with hilarious storylines and highly innovative narrative techniques. All for the less than the cost of a single theater ticket!

In fact I think you mentioned buying it if I gave you the cold hard truth about my non-existent alts - which I did.

Cmon brotha! Help a true artist circulate the fruits of his humble craft...!

https://www.amazon.com/My-Rise-Top-H...sr=1-1-catcorr

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    OP, if youre looking for quality entertainment media, why didnt you just say so!?

I recently released a book on Amazon with hilarious storylines and highly innovative narrative techniques. All for the less than the cost of a single theater ticket!

In fact I think you mentioned buying it if I gave you the cold hard truth about my non-existent alts - which I did.

Cmon brotha! Help a true artist circulate the fruits of his humble craft...!

https://www.amazon.com/My-Rise-Top-H...sr=1-1-catcorr
    I thought we agreed that I wasn't going to talk to myself across accounts. ****! Why do you ALWAYS DO THIS TO MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have data to support that? I straight up told you earlier in this thread that I have in the past and continue to this day... avoiding going to the movies because I don't want to sit there not eating anything, smuggle food, or pay the concession prices... I doubt I'm alone. Those are the three options unless I want to pony up an unreasonable amount of money for one individual, never mind when someone is with me.

I hate to put a number on it for other people, but for me personally? If I could go to the movies for like $8-$10 overall including food and viewing, I would go a lot more often. $20 overall for one individual to eat and view leads to me really only going when I really want to see a movie.

That's true... which is why I said maybe they could hit a sweet spot of increased volume at lesser prices and the more costly aspects, as you mentioned.
    Your personal anecdotes aside, we need data to support people come to movie theaters for the movies and not concessions?

As the math showed, you would need much more people to make up the difference. I think they already hit the sweet spot, by only appealing to people who are price inelastic about buying concessions.

NBA Legend

I thought we agreed that I wasn't going to talk to myself across accounts. ****! Why do you ALWAYS DO THIS TO MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Im afraid youre quite a bit late to the “imitate starface to convince people Im his alt” party, big boi. I been had professional impersonators since you was in diapers.

But.... what the hell, the more the merrier!