Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Lets be real folks, how much does an NBA player DESERVE to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Kews1
    Printing money, at least large amounts of money (2billion for each solider), decreases what the money is worth. Not a good idea
    I know, if Im not mistaken QE3 ended but they printed about 40 billion a month for awhile...So I'm sure they wouldn't mind *get the joke?lol

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    I know, if Im not mistaken QE3 ended but they printed about 40 billion a month for awhile...So I'm sure they wouldn't mind *get the joke?lol
    haha i did i was just saying

Made that high school varsity squad pmj's Avatar

You obviously don't understand scarcity. There are hundreds of people in the world that are good enough to be in the NBA. This is why the sport gets billions and they get a % of that.

If you are asking, does their skill provide the equivalent value to society, then the answer is no but that's not how we pay people.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    If the money doesn't go to the players it will go to the owners. Do they "deserve" it more? This is capitalism. Welcome to America.
    Good point! but once again, NBA players IMO are not doing something WORTH that much money despite what the league is earning from it...BUT, Id rather those greedy ****s not get there hands on it..they way it is now WILL be how it has to be. I just dont agree with how much they make in compaired to what I;ve said........ hey, maybe obama Can take about half there money since they are so freakin rich and then let the government distribute it to people who need it. (joking)

Last edited by jongib369; 12-22-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Can you possibly elaborate on this and say why you think they should make more than someone like a marine, fire fighter, President etc?
    As someone already touched up on it, it's because of how rare some of these professional basketball players can be. Not many of them are in high demand like a marine, fire fighter, etc... So, these players are going to get paid more. Anybody, if they worked hard enough, could be a marine and fire fighter. It's not always the case to be a pro athlete.

Also, not that I follow politics a lot, but aren't there a lot of jobs that have higher salaries than the President ? I'm pretty sure that is the case. All former Presidents get all benefits and royalties after they have finished their service, correct ? I think the President has it made, really.

Quote Originally Posted by pmj
    You obviously don't understand scarcity. There are hundreds of people in the world that are good enough to be in the NBA. This is why the sport gets billions and they get a % of that.

If you are asking, does their skill provide the equivalent value to society, then the answer is no but that's not how we pay people.
    The second part is my question which didn't get across properly

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    As someone already touched up on it, it's because of how rare some of these professional basketball players can be. Not many of them are in high demand like a marine, fire fighter, etc... So, these players are going to get paid more. Anybody, if they worked hard enough, could be a marine and fire fighter. It's not always the case to be a pro athlete.

Also, not that I follow politics a lot, but aren't there a lot of jobs that have higher salaries than the President ? I'm pretty sure that is the case. All former Presidents get all benefits and royalties after they have finished their service, correct ? I think the President has it made, really.
    I forgot how much they make afterwards but in 1999 I believe bill clinton changed how much the pres makes from 200,000 to 400,000 which didnt take effect until Bush become pres...yes, a lot of Jobs do make more than the president, and possibly rightfully so. Theres just no way in hell IMO someone can defend how much a NBA player makes looking at it from this perspective (which I understand isnt how the world works)

"f you are asking, does their skill provide the equivalent value to society, then the answer is no but that's not how we pay people."

   

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    You forget that players that can became pros need to practice so much that they don't have a time for school and when they finish playing basketball they are going to find a job harder than educatet people .
    i can buy that premise for the average europlayer, maybe, but not so much for the average NBA player. most NBA players wouldn't come within sniffing distance of a four year degree, and the idea of their academic careers being hurt because of basketball looks good on paper but doesn't have much basis in reality.

anyway.

i guess i can't complain that in a capitalist democracy, athletes and entertainers make filthy amounts of money from the show that they provide the fans. all i know is that i'm not buying in to that whole program. i'm not going to pay all that money getting decent seats at events, buy the apparel and sneaks, spend $150 on a mediocre quality LP broadband feed, etc, etc. it's just too much.

used to be that the typical sports owner was a remorseless SOB who didn't give a crap about the players, and the fans benefited by being able to attend games for the price of a movie or something. awesome for the fans, terrible for the players. later, the age of sports agents changed everything, and now athletes are zillionaries, and being a dedicated fan will cost you a small fortune. awesome for the athletes, not so great for the fans.

all i'm saying... it would just be nice if there was a happy medium. not totally sure, but i think the OP is saying that too.

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    If any idiot could play basketball at the NBA level then they wouldn't make so much. What they earn makes perfect sense. I'm sorry, but this is a f@cking stupid thread and I'm closing it.
    What a classy moderator; swearing and closing a valid thread while leaving open dozens of other ridiculous threads full of bullying, harassment and vulgarity.

Yea the president gets paid $400,000. The president is actually paid fairly poorly when you take into account the amount leaders of other governments are paid. I belive that both the leaders of Australia and New Zealand are paid more and also even the mayor of London is paid more. If i remember correctly there are even US governors who are paid better than the president but i cant remember which

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    What a classy moderator; swearing and closing a valid thread while leaving open dozens of other ridiculous threads full of bullying, harassment and vulgarity.

Haha right? it's not a big deal, but still I started cracking up when some old posts I've seen on here came to mind

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

When a few hundred people are the main attraction in generating several billion dollars a year they will be rich. if the money didn't go to them it will go to the even richer owners who have considerably less to do with what attracts the fans in the first place.

when you really think about it complaining about the money athletes make considering how much they generate is pretty childish.

you can put 20 people in front of 20,000 fans paying big money with millions at home and sell advertising concessions parking and god knows what else....

the league has multi billion dollar contracts with Disney , TNT, and international broadcasters.

considering how rarely I get sick but how often I support Sports in one way or another I'll probably generate a lot more money for athletes than I do doctors. So why would I wonder why they get paid more?

these questions really suggest a fundamental lack of understanding of how the real world works

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    When a few hundred people are the main attraction in generating several billion dollars a year they will be rich. if the money didn't go to them it will go to the even richer owners who have considerably less to do with what attracts the fans in the first place.

when you really think about it complaining about the money athletes make considering how much they generate is pretty childish.

you can put 20 people in front of 20,000 fans paying big money with millions at home and sell advertising concessions parking and god knows what else....

the league has multi billion dollar contracts with Disney , TNT, and international broadcasters.

considering how rarely I get sick but how often I support Sports in one way or another I'll probably generate a lot more money for athletes than I do doctors. So why would I wonder why they get paid more?

these questions really suggest a fundamental lack of understanding of how the real world works
    Thanks for the response, but saying that I have a fundemental lack of understanding for how the real world works is rude considering the perspective I was trying to get across in the question.

"when you really think about it complaining about the money athletes make considering how much they generate is pretty childish."

I disagree, all I'm saying is what they are doing for US is not worth shit compared to what other people do who make way less...I'm looking past revenue, scarcity and all of that. I'm looking at it PURELY for what it is. I KNOW it's not how the real world works. I know that even though a soldier deserves 20 times what an NBA player makes, he will most likely not make what Lebron did his first 3 years in 10

I just really don't like that while Joe Schmoe in Iraq who was getting shot at only made so much while Javale Mcgee made 30 times what he did in half the time.

Supply & Demand

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

if you're looking past revenue generated as you said...... yes I will call it quite childish.

if you know that isn't how the real world works why are you asking a question about the real world?

of course soldiers should be paid more considering that they give their lives......

but where would you get the money to pay as many soldiers as we have the money that NBA players make because it only takes 400 of them to generate 4,000,000,000 dollars a year?

It's one of those questions that makes sense morally but just doesn't need explaining to anyone i feel it's trying to think it out. as I said if you want to pay players less you just give money to even fewer people who have 10 times the money any player does.

when you and a couple billion other people stop supporting sports there will stop being tens of billions of dollars to pay the relatively few people responsible for generating it.

I choose to continue enjoying Sports. So I don't need to wonder why they get paid so much or complain about it. It's clearly my fault and the fault of people like me.

and complaining about something you are largely responsible for seems quite childish. Doesn't it?