Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Now a Cavs fan again

Default Fact of Fiction: People supporting rule changes to "Hack-A-Shaq" never played ball...

Fact of Fiction - the people whining about there needing to be rule changes to hack-a-shaq and saying it's unfair are mostly overweight slobs who've never touched a ball in their life and just watch the game sitting on their fat arses drinking beer and stuffing themselves with cheetos?

I'm gonna say fact. Cus for anyone who's played ball at a remotely competitive level, it blows my mind that people think it's unfair that a player can be given 2 free, uncontested, unguarded shots with like a 10 second time limit to shoot them.

I love the Clippers but unless you're retarded you better believe it's DeAndre Jordan's fault and his fault alone that he blows chunks from the free throw line. Learn better fundamentals and skills instead of blaming the rules.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Fact of Fiction: People supporting rule changes to "Hack-A-Shaq" never played ball...

doesn't really matter if you know how to play ball or not, i'm opposed to changing the rule but I get why the "hack-a-player" rule would diminish the NBA game

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

Default Re: Fact of Fiction: People supporting rule changes to "Hack-A-Shaq" never played ball...

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Pink"]Mostly overweight slobs who've never touched a ball in their life and just watch the game sitting on their fat arses drinking beer and stuffing themselves with cheetos[/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by 2010splash
    Fact of Fiction - the people whining about there needing to be rule changes to hack-a-shaq and saying it's unfair are mostly overweight slobs who've never touched a ball in their life and just watch the game sitting on their fat arses drinking beer and stuffing themselves with cheetos?

I'm gonna say fact. Cus for anyone who's played ball at a remotely competitive level, it blows my mind that people think it's unfair that a player can be given 2 free, uncontested, unguarded shots with like a 10 second time limit to shoot them.

I love the Clippers but unless you're retarded you better believe it's DeAndre Jordan's fault and his fault alone that he blows chunks from the free throw line. Learn better fundamentals and skills instead of blaming the rules.

Thoughts?
    I'm wet at FTs.

I think it's more due to empathy. I don't think it's 'fair' to force a player to shoot when in no way can you force a player to shoot. You can't even force a player to shoot a lay up. You can encourage them to, but nah... forcing a player to shoot FTs doesn't make sense in the context of basketball.

But they've been doing it. I thought Wilt was cool back in the day... and I was a big Shaq fan, so you might say that I am biased.

I don't think it's bad for the product. Good D is, technically, bad for the product, but fouling a player off the ball... now fouling someone inside is different. If they are shooting then yeah make them go to the line, but just as the ball is inbounded? Nah.

I can't imagine anyone thinks that is how bball was intended to be played.

Edit: Again, remember, some players CAN'T SHOOT. Just like they can't dribble, but nobody forces them to dribble.

-Smak

Decent playground baller jimmybball's Avatar

Fiction: The desire to change the rule is from a spectator position, but that doesn't mean those spectators haven't also played ball.

How does it make sense basketball wise to foul someone who is not the play? That's just silly. They dont even foul the guy they hug him when he's 10 feet away from the ball. Do what Europe does and call it a technical foul.
    Last edited by navy; 05-05-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Or maybe some of us just don't want to see the game take an extra half-hour while the game stalls with some guy taking 20 free throws and missing half of them? I don't know about you but I watch the game for entertainment. I guess you're serving a higher purpose.

The main argument is not ''it's unfair''.
    The main argument is that the hack-a-shaq is bad TV.
    Some Clippers-spurs games were 30 minutes longer. Nobody got time for that.
    It's bad for ratings.

sports gloden rule:

''you can't gain an advantage of a foul that you committed''

NBA rules should be changed

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    How does it make sense basketball wise to foul someone who is not the play? That's just silly. They dont even foul the guy they hug him when he's 10 feet away from the ball. Do what Europe does and call it a technical foul.
    This would be the best solution.

I feel like if basketball is your full time job then you should be able to hit free throws or at least go 50% from the line.

So it's really on the player to make his shots but I agree it does slow the game down.

Quote Originally Posted by zizozain
    sports gloden rule:

''you can't gain an advantage of a foul that you committed''

NBA rules should be changed
    This. You're supposed to get punished when you commit a foul. The bonus of getting rid of it is that is's horrible TV.

The argument is definitely not that it's unfair. If basketball was just all the players taking turns shooting free throws then it would be unfair, but these guys who are horrible free throw shooters usually have plenty of opportunity to affect the game in different ways than hitting the majority of their free throws.

P

in the sense that everyone knows this rule when they started play ball, its the players responsiblity to be able to shoot well, all the same seimilar to what navy said, its odd how you can just randomly foul someone and stop the ball. Ive always wondered whether it would be possible to randomly foul someone during a fastbreak to stop the fastbreak?

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

I think the next step is to lower the rim for short player who can't dunk, I can't tell you how many times I've found my level of entertainment going down after seeing some fast break lay ups

next they honestly need to move in the 3pt line, I DON"T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS but i'm tired of seeing the defense sag off of bad shooters while taking away the drive.

If a player is a feared slasher but can't shoot such as younger Lebron & Rondo the defense shouldn't be allowed to sag off, because it takes away what those type of guys are good at and highlights their faults

NOT ENTERTAINING!!

Hopefully after that they will get rid of the shot clock, how many times do we need to watch a team not able to get a good shot up in 24 seconds and be forced to heave some desperation shot at the buzzer before a rule is changed!!

Give them as much time as they want to create their shots, IT"S MORE ENTERTAINING YO!!

or you know, make your god damn free throws and don't have a glaring weakness in your game if you want to play heavy minutes in the NBA playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by livinglegend
    The main argument is not ''it's unfair''.
    The main argument is that the hack-a-shaq is bad TV.
    Some Clippers-spurs games were 30 minutes longer. Nobody got time for that.
    It's bad for ratings.
    Yeah, That was a terrible series. I bet the TV ratings went to shit because of the hack-a-shaq.

I've changed my view on this.

Originally I was in the camp of, "just make the free throws then, learn how to shoot."

Now, I think it should be a free throw and the ball back. Just like a tech or unsportsmanlike. It isn't a basketball play, no attempt on the ball, etc. Literally all the things that outline a unsportsmanlike foul.