Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Kenny Smith ruined the dunk contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Hoops
    J-Rich dunks were pretty amazing. He just wasn't a big name or superstar as you put it.
    Agreed. Richardson was a dunking legend. Superstars aren't as necessary as people believe they are. It's pimp override when a star turns in a legendary dunk moment (VC, MJ) but non-stars also leave significant footprints as well (Dee Brown, J.R. Rider, Jason Richardson).

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    As annoying as Kenny Smith was, I couldn't help but wonder who put him up to all of this. Even Smith wouldn't have been able to mastermind such a horribly choreographed disaster piece. It feels like he's selling a little bit of his soul out there.
    Every single fiber of Kenny Smith's being lives for selling out. He loves selling out so much he'd do it for free as long as he was given a mic and a crowd.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Kenny Smith was fine. Anyone who speaks publicly on a frequent basis, or is an MC, DJ or other individual working with crowds knows that a golden rule to success is getting the crowd involved. Kenny tried to do that with asking the crowd to tell him when to jump. It was a horrible dunk contest because of the participants, not for any other reason.

However, I am glad that Jeremy Evans won...seems like a good guy.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

The dunk contest was over the day Brent Barry didn't even take off his warmup jacket and could do the exact the same dunk that Dr. J and Jordan both won the contest with.....

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    The dunk contest was over the day Brent Barry didn't even take off his warmup jacket and could do the exact the same dunk that Dr. J and Jordan both won the contest with.....
    The closet racist makes his way to the stage.

That isn't the only dunk that won MJ and Dr. J their dunk contests

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    It was a horrible dunk contest because of the participants, not for any other reason.
    I completely, whole-heartedly disagree. If the dunks just sucked, I would have been disappointed and that would have been the end of it. Instead, since we had stage performances, motorcycles, head-cams, monologues, Kenny Smith trying to make the crowd count at light speed in unison to help a guy who could already see, terribly awkward exchanges ... basically every possibly distraction available to draw attention away from the dunks themselves, not only do I feel disappointed, but I feel uncomfortable, dirty, and embarrassed. It was just so ... cringey.

That isn't the only dunk that won MJ and Dr. J their dunk contests.
    The free throw line dunk is what won MJ the dunk contest (I believe in Chicago).... Dominique had like a 48. Jordan needed a 50. He got it on the last dunk, the free throw line dunk.

Dr. J had pretty much the exact same scenario only the contest was in Denver I believe.

What I said was accurate. The free throw line dunk won both their respective dunk contests. And what is sad is a white guy did the dunk without even taking off his damn warm up jacket. Not sure what I said makes me a racist. The dunk contest immediately lost its appeal after that. Sure some years were all right. But the bloom was off the rose from that point on.

I completely, whole-heartedly disagree. If the dunks just sucked, I would have been disappointed and that would have been the end of it. Instead, since we had stage performances, motorcycles, head-cams, monologues, Kenny Smith trying to make the crowd count at light speed in unison to help a guy who could already see, terribly awkward exchanges ... basically every possibly distraction available to draw attention away from the dunks themselves, not only do I feel disappointed, but I feel uncomfortable, dirty, and embarrassed. It was just so ... cringey.
    Kenny Smith was the MC, that's what an MC (Master of Ceremony) is supposed to do.

Kenny Smith was the MC, that's what an MC (Master of Ceremony) is supposed to do.
    If the MC is supposed to be as annoying as hell to listen to.... then they should get rid of the MCF all together.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    I suppose my next question would be, why is there an MC? And why is he walking players through skits about mailmen?

I suppose my next question would be, why is there an MC? And why is he walking players through skits about mailmen?
    If he wasn't the MC, we wouldn't know what Kevin Hart, Diddy or Ced-C were there for. We've all seen comedy shows, where the MC or host set up the next performer coming to the stage.

While he is the MC, there is no reason for an MC at a dunk contest.

Decent playground baller Jordan23GOAT's Avatar

No judges, kenny smith being stupid, very little cool dunks. These were all factors of an awful dunk contest.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    Didn't lebron promise to be in the dunk contest one year? Why was that promise never fulfilled?
    Didn't LeBron also promise Cleveland a championship? And we all know how that turned out.

Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

the best part was that Chase was clearly looking through the bottom of the blindfold. And when he went up for the dunk he turned his head to watch the rim the whole way through.... The first miss was just a staged miss.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    Didn't lebron promise to be in the dunk contest one year? Why was that promise never fulfilled?

2 reasons...lebron in the dunk contest would be 2001/11 over again..carter and griffin won because of their name...

second reason is..lebron might choke..i mean, he's supposed to win if he enters, right?