Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Who would you rather start a team with, Shaq or LeBron

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    More good centers today than in Shaq's peak. That's obvious.
    Obvious that Prime Shaq would smash them to pieces ?

It's close but clear. Shaq.

Better playoff performer. Better finals performer. In the playoffs, Shaq can be the toughest guy on the court for get the win. Without an exception. I don't remember a playoff game that Shaq quitted on his team. On the other hand, LeBron...
    Also LeBron is great at play making, but Shaq is probably the most doubled player in the history, imo Shaq makes it easier for his teammates.

Both players had issues with "being a franchise player". Shaq was a cry-baby and you have The Decision for LeBron. They are not Duncan or Bird or Magic or Russell.

That's why I'd go with better player / better playoff performer.

LeBron for marketing purposes.

Because both will leave your team anyway. Might as well go for the cash. And if I had the balls to trade LeBron mid-contract, I think I would get more back.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    You deserve to be punched in the throat repeatedly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN0WqSeCKW8

Dunking on everybody in the park Suckafree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    LeBron for marketing purposes.

Because both will leave your team anyway. Might as well go for the cash. And if I had the balls to trade LeBron mid-contract, I think I would get more back.
    I dunno, Shaq was a pretty marketable fellow. Probably the second biggest star the game has ever seen aside from Jordan. From a commercial standpoint anyway.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

If I were to start an NBA franchise and I had the #1 pick it would be Jordan.

If I had #2 I'd take LeBron.

Because in the end, the all time ranks will look like:

1. MJ
    2. LeBron

So on and so forth

well they'll both leave me when free agency comes along but at least james will sign my first contract extension. so LBJ

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Shaq.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LamarOdom
    Varejao, Gasolx2, Timmy, KG, Noah, Bynum, Cousins, Pekovic, Monroe, Horford, Hibbert, Nene, Okafor, Gortat, Bogut, Chandler, Asik, Perkins.

Stop actin like this is a weak era for center just new rules that has made it harder for big men but still there is a lot of good centers.
    It is a weak era for centers in comparison to other eras in terms of that there is no star comparable to likes of Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, David Robinson, Ewing and other the great centers in the past. The new rules change the concept of playing, because perimeter have it easier to control the game nowadays. Zone defense would also increase the help, but Shaq still dominated despite the zone. And none of these centers are really stars like the centers of the 90s and below. Don't have the skillset, post game, or the aggressiveness.

But yeah, Shaq would dominate this era. It does depend on a team to build around. Shaq is more unstoppable than LeBron and would probably be more valuable in this era, but it depends on who he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Suckafree
    I dunno, Shaq was a pretty marketable fellow. Probably the second biggest star the game has ever seen aside from Jordan. From a commercial standpoint anyway.
    I remember in a poll during the mid 90's that Shaq was actually voted more popular than Jordan at the time. Could just be the specific group that voted in the poll, but it was awful close, and Shaq was ridiculously popular over his time in the NBA.

To answer the question, Shaq.

Lebron, for the same reason i would pick Jordan, Bird, Oscar or Magic over Shaq (or anybody else in NBA history). I prefer more allround basketball players like that...
    Last edited by pauk; 11-27-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Local High School Star

It's close. In this era's weak crop of centers, you'd have to go with Shaq. Any other era, I'd go with Lebron because he's far more durable and versatile. He's also not a liability in close games due to horrid FT shooting.

National High School Star

Shaq.

Shaq wouldn't be as dominant in the current era with all the rule changes. He would foul out fast, no ref is gonna let him elbow people in the chest. His aggressiveness would get him lot of techs and today's lightning quick PGs would get him in foul trouble. Shaq would average something like 26/12 on 60%, but he wouldn't be the same monster.

I would take Lebron for the current perimeter orientated era. His versatility and extended prime is more valuable than Shaq's short term domination, which he wouldn't achieve with today's rules.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Lebron's already had 8 great years (every year besides his rookie year).

Shaq had 11 (I'll count ever year he was in Orlando except for one year where he was injured, and every year of his in LA).

I can easily see Lebron having another 3-4 great years (including this year). Which will trump what Shaq did.

And this is also why, barring major injury, Lebron will probably end up ahead of Shaq on almost everyone's legacy list.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 11-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.