Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Default Re: Magic Johnson got SWEPT (0-4) in the NBA Finals TWICE.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    oh you mean like Magic playing with arguably the greatest player in the history of the game? Sorry, I forgot to mention that part.
    oh dear, you are failing in this thread. please try again.

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    I get what you're saying OP, and actually agree with the premise, but The Lakers got swept in '83 by the Sixers who had a prime Moses Malone who is at worst, a top 14, maybe top 10, player of all time and Dr. J who had just won the MVP two seasons earlier. Also the '89 sweep was not Magic's fault at all considering the fact that he got injured in the 2nd half of game two and couldn't finish out the series due to that injury. He only played five minutes in game 3 and couldn't continue. He missed all of game 4. Magic barely played half the series.

Magic is a great player, I'm not really trying to take shots at him. I'm just trying to help the kids these days realize that great players in the past suffered defeats as well.

As for your explanation of Magic's sweeps, all I would say is, so what? 76ers were a great team... great teams make the NBA Finals. And injuries are part of the game. If Wade was half the player he's supposed to be, this series would probably already be over.

And neither team that SWEPT him had a top 10 GOAT player.

Look, I'm not a LeBron fan, and I hope the Spurs win... but it's time to stop the overreaction and have some historical perspective.
    Context.

Was Magic on his prime and did he just teamed up with a TOP2 SG and a TOP5 PF and told the world about how was going to be easy 8 championships?

Did Magic had the biggest finals choke job on the finals?
    Did magic disappeared to only show himself during garbage time?

If not, wtf are you talking about?

He was injured in the 89 Finals.
    oh you mean like Magic playing with arguably the greatest player in the history of the game? Sorry, I forgot to mention that part.
    Lol Kareem was third option the last two titles that Magic led to victory. He was age 40 and 41.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo

Has LeBron ever played with a player who even approaches the dominance of Kareem Abdul Jabbar?

Imagine if LeBron lost 4 NBA Finals playing along side a dominant player like prime Shaq, Hakeem, or Duncan.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    Context.

Was Magic on his prime and did he just teamed up with a TOP2 SG and a TOP5 PF and told the world about how was going to be easy 8 championships?

Did Magic had the biggest finals choke job on the finals?
    Did magic disappeared to only show himself during garbage time?

If not, wtf are you talking about?
    Yes. The 1984 Finals. Ever heard of Tragic Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    Nothing he's said here has been wrong. You clowns just wanna re-write history and hold certain players (Lebron) to UNREALISTIC standards.

Look, I'm not a LeBron fan, and I hope the Spurs win... but it's time to stop the overreaction and have some historical perspective.
    Sample size matters as Magic Johnson continued to make it to the Finals at a rate not seen since Bill Russell's Celtics and continued to have more better Finals performance than James.

The teams that swept are the 83 Sixers and 89 Pistons, both considered to be in the Top 10 on the majority of arbitrary greatest of all-time teams lists. In comparison to... the 11 Mavericks and 13 Spurs ? Both teams were underdogs and nobody expected the Mavericks to do what they did to the Heat. The Spurs are well-rounded and have players stepping up, but certainly with their core much older.

If were still talking about the years that the Lakers got swept, Abdul-Jabbar I believe was leaving his prime by this time in 83 and was outplayed by Moses Malone in the Finals, but yes Johnson didn't play that much better. The 89 version was of Abdul-Jabbar was on his last legs and the worst version of his career. He's not playing like the greatest anything by that point. And Johnson got hurt that year too, played like 5 minutes in Game 3 and sat out Game 4.

Although OP, I do agree with what your trying to get at. Some of the hate James gets is unreasonable and unwarranted, but you can say that he sets himself up for these situations with that he says and how he plays.

Has LeBron ever played with a player who even approaches the dominance of Kareem Abdul Jabbar?

Imagine if LeBron lost 4 NBA Finals playing along side a dominant player like prime Shaq, Hakeem, or Duncan.
    lebron played with Shaq and didn't even make the finals.
    /thread

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

when did magic get swept twice?

what years was he playing and lost 0-4?

Look, I'm not a LeBron fan
    Stopped reading there..

And let this n!gga play tonight before yawl start makin damage control threads...While moronically comparing his possible future to someone who already had 5 titles

Yes. The 1984 Finals. Ever heard of Tragic Johnson?
    I'm sorry did you just compared Magic individual performance in 1984 to Lebron individual performance in 2011? And did you just compared losing to 1984 celtics to losing to 2011 mavs?

ok

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    when did magic get swept twice?

what years was he playing and lost 0-4?
    '83- Sixers
    '89- Pistons

I explained earlier that he actually got injured in game 2 of the '89 Finals and couldn't finish the series. So that one technically doesn't count as a Magic sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    He also won 5 titles and made the finals 9 times.

Lebron only has 1 title...and if he loses...it would be 1 title out of 4 trips to the finals.

So this holds a bit more weight.
    No it doesnt... since Lebrons career is nowhere close to over... he is still 28 and at that age has accomplished overall what only Michael Jordan could....

'83- Sixers
    '89- Pistons

I explained earlier that he actually got injured in game 2 of the '89 Finals and couldn't finish the series. So that one technically doesn't count as a Magic sweep.
    Not really a sweep per se, but Magic and his Lakers were back-door swept in '91.