Default Sign and trade NBA

Has there ever been a restricted free agent that was signed and traded?

Decent playground baller

Default Re: Sign and trade NBA

Like a contract was matched and traded? Or the player willingly went?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Depends on how you look at it. Every free agent was restricted till Tom Chambers in 1987. So all the sign and trades before then would be restricted FA trades. Moses Malone to Philly for example. He couldnt just sign there without compensation....so they worked out a deal. They got back Cauldwell Jones and whatever else. Thats why when you see old player movements they are all some kinda trade. Nobody just signed anywhere unless it was from the ABA to the NBA.

All restricted or just flat out....before free agency. There were no free agents till Oscar Robertson sued So maybe....76 to 87...all sign and trades were restricted.

Though I typed all that being nearly sure it isnt what you were asking about. Why know a bunch of useless shit if not to tell people about it now and then?

Decent college freshman

Wasn't Kyle O'Quinn S&T'ed as a RFA just last summer? I'm pretty sure that it's allowable under the rules.

I think it's uncommon though b/c most teams want to keep their RFAs, but let the market dictate the price (so as to give their RFA a potentially smaller deal- the annual raises are reduced if they sign an offer sheet, for example).

It's hard for teams and RFA's to agree on contract extensions, because players (and their agents) typically want to see what their value is in Free Agency. As we've seen in the past, RFA's can get ridiculously overpaid because of how RFA works. I'd guess it's even harder to convince a RFA to sign an extension... to play for a different team.