Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: What are you listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    True, but I think certain tunesmiths get a better sound out of their tunes. For example, I think Led Zeppelin are clearly the worst sounding band out of the top five bands of all time (Beatles, Stones, Who, Zep, Floyd).
    When you say "worst sounding"... do you mean something more specific than... just... the one you like the least? To say it's "clearly" the case is utter nonsense. I don't personally agree at all... I prefer Zeppelin to every band you listed besides Floyd... which means as little as the fact that you don't.

I guess I have no idea what you're trying to say. Different players sound different was my only real point.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Name for me what you would call the ten best songs of the 1980s.

#1 Under Pressure - Queen
    #2 Don't Stop Believing - Journey
    #3 Thriller/Billie Jean/Beat it - Michael Jackson
    #4 With or Without you - U2
    #5 In the air tonight - Phil Collins
    #6 Welcome to the jungle/sweet child of mine - Guns and Roses
    #7 Every breath you take - the police
    #8 Living on a prayer - Bon Jovi
    #9 take me on - Aha
    #10 Money for nothing - Dire straits

HM - Back in black - ACDC, Summer of 69 - brian adams, master of puppets - Metallica
    Last edited by kennethgriffen; 02-19-2019 at 02:34 AM.

Yeah but you just ripped that from some public poll or some list made by some talking head

I mean YOUR favorite shit.

Banned

Yeah but you just ripped that from some public poll or some list made by some talking head

I mean YOUR favorite shit.

#1 No easy way out - Robert Tepper
    #2 Send me an angel - Real life
    #3 Thunder in your heart - John Farnham
    #4 Major Tom ( German ) - Peter Schilling
    #5 Never - Moving Pictures
    #6 Caribbean Queen - Billy Ocean
    #7 How will i know - Whitney Houston
    #8 Get into the Groove - Madonna
    #9 Flock of seagulls - Space age love song
    #10 Love my way - Psychedelic furs

HM: Moonlight desires - Gowan
    Last edited by kennethgriffen; 02-19-2019 at 03:18 AM.

Banned

HM #2 - Separate ways - Journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfikUUvjh34

21 Savage - Monster (Official Audio)

Quote Originally Posted by PullupJay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfikUUvjh34

21 Savage - Monster (Official Audio)
    Sir Savage Duke The 21st!

The Genesis - Nas

When you say "worst sounding"... do you mean something more specific than... just... the one you like the least? To say it's "clearly" the case is utter nonsense. I don't personally agree at all... I prefer Zeppelin to every band you listed besides Floyd... which means as little as the fact that you don't.

I guess I have no idea what you're trying to say. Different players sound different was my only real point.
    It's pretty simple; I don't think they sound as good as those other four bands I've mentioned. I think they sound a bit harsh. I guess it's partly attributable to Page's guitar tone, which I think is not particularly pleasing to the ear. It's probably also their lack of melody as well as songwriting craftsmanship, such as including a hook, chorus or bridge, or the fact that unlike the other bands there's one real singer in the band, and any backup vocals provided aren't as good as backup vocals from the other bands (harmony).

Due to my music taste, I probably prefer when the bass plays a more prominent, kinetic role in the music as well. Jones plays root notes way too much for my liking, mimicking the guitar lines too much. I'm also not a big fan of Plant's vocals.

And they're so clearly the least original of the five bands here.

So, yeah, on the whole I'd have to say Led Zeppelin are actually kind of musically lacking and instead wank too much on their instruments.

I also think they have less replay value than those other four bands.
    Last edited by 72-10; 03-03-2019 at 03:04 AM.

One of the GOAT songs idc what anyone says

https://youtu.be/WTh-U3rK91o

It's pretty simple; I don't think they sound as good as those other four bands I've mentioned. I think they sound a bit harsh. I guess it's partly attributable to Page's guitar tone, which I think is not particularly pleasing to the ear. It's probably also their lack of melody as well as songwriting craftsmanship, such as including a hook, chorus or bridge, or the fact that unlike the other bands there's one real singer in the band, and any backup vocals provided aren't as good as backup vocals from the other bands (harmony).

Due to my music taste, I probably prefer when the bass plays a more prominent, kinetic role in the music as well. Jones plays root notes way too much for my liking, mimicking the guitar lines too much. I'm also not a big fan of Plant's vocals.

So, yeah, on the whole I'd have to say Led Zeppelin are actually kind of musically lacking and instead wank too much on their instruments.

First I thought you'd mean production wise you think they have the worst sound I kind of would've agreed, atleast between those mentioned band - albeit the Stones' production until Let it Bleed was shit aswell, but that was before LZ even debuted. The songs themselves are a matter of taste.

JPJ staying on the root or following the guitar too much is a necessity. The other bands you mentioned have way more open, none riff based music. Much easier employing a free flowing style there. It's hard to do that on riffs without making it a mess. What I really dig is doing counter melodies to the riffs.

That's also why imo JPJ shines most on the tunes Page doesn't. Lemon song being the exception, but blues is easier to keep together.

I appreciate your qualitative distinctions, I'm just left scratching my head at the notion that your preference is in any way objective... I could spell out a bunch of reasons why I prefer Zeppelin to the Stones, and why I might talk myself into my reasons being the ones that matter... but they don't. I just like Zeppelin more... and you don't. They aren't objectively better or worse for it.

Had to at least address this part.

Who synthesized the folk sound and the hard rock sound like Zeppelin (a la Stairway, Ramble On, etc.)?

Who sounded like Plant before Plant?

In general, I believe drummers would be offended by this statement. John Bonham was a pioneer.

Who wrote anything that sounds anything like Kashmir? No Quarter? When the Levee Breaks? The Rain Song?

You say they are less original, I say you just don't like them.

Who wrote anything that sounds anything like Kashmir?
    Rage Against the Machine. Sorry I had to.

I was actually listening to a different song today, Clones - The Roots

I really dig the loud snare hits on it.

Let's not kill the thread