Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Default Re: Heat fans, what are your thoughts about Spurs sweeping Grizz?

Intriguing thought on potential matchup is although Heat won both neither gm we saw both teams at full strength as there was a bit of gamesmanship between two teams but all now more intrigue cause Spurs ALmost beat HEat shorthanded and HEat DID beat Spurs Shorthanded. Almost like these two teams knew they might be facing each other when it REALLY mattered. Alot of cool storylines with this matchup.

I'm interested in seeing how well SA can lock down the paint if they face Miami in the Finals. A lot of cool stylistic matchups in the potential series.

I think we match up well with the Spurs, so if we do get to the finals to play them, I think we're set. They're a heavy pick and roll team on the offensive side from what I can tell, and that's probably our strongest defensive set. I noticed they do move the ball well from inside to out, so that may be a problem as we're not great at defending 3 pointers.

I don't think Duncan is the defensive anchor he once was either, so I think both Lebron and Wade will have an easier time on offense, hence I think we'll have an easier time overall scoring the ball than they will.

Just talk though. Never really know what happens until they start playing each other.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I think we match up well with the Spurs, so if we do get to the finals to play them, I think we're set. They're a heavy pick and roll team on the offensive side from what I can tell, and that's probably our strongest defensive set. I noticed they do move the ball well from inside to out, so that may be a problem as we're not great at defending 3 pointers.

I don't think Duncan is the defensive anchor he once was either, so I think both Lebron and Wade will have an easier time on offense, hence I think we'll have an easier time overall scoring the ball than they will.

Just talk though. Never really know what happens until they start playing each other.
    For an old experienced core in which the spurs have, they would often find it hard to lift that extra gear to beat other teams before the finals. Now that they are there and its their last stand along with their incredible finals record...I can only see a very tight and enthralling series ahead. I dont think you have watched Duncan enough to know what he is capable of on defense when he's really trying. I think James is secretly scared of facing the Heat, he will have to hit clutch shots and be superman.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Spurs fan here, I gotta be honest I don't see why Heat fans think they match up well with the Spurs.

Our best defenders are at the 2, 3 and 4 which is exactly what the Heat have. Green on Wade will be crucial, a prime Wade at 100% would murder him but he isn't that player consistently anymore. Green won't be able to stop him, but will play him tough.

Also, the Heats achilles heel is ball movement. When a team plays ISO and relies on it's superstars (OKC) they get easily beaten. When a team plays together and shares the ball (Dallas) they have a shot.

Heat will be favourites. Big favourites, they have the best player in the world after all, but I think the Spurs are probably the worst match up in the league for the Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    The Spurs have yet to face a scorer as dynamic and capable as Lebron or Durant (best player on the previous team to beat SA), so I think the team hasn't been fully tested.
    They were getting tested by one (although not on LeBron or Durant's level) last round before he twisted his ankle, and it had been a pretty competitive series up until that point. He just wasn't the same the rest of the series.

Of course Curry is a lot more jumpshot reliant than LeBron and Durant, but when he's on he can fill it up in a hurry.

NBA rookie of the year

As long as LeBron is assertive, and the team collectively acts as the aggressors on both ends, we ain't got no worries. Miami is the better team. Gotta finish Indiana first, though.
    Last edited by PJR; 05-28-2013 at 12:48 AM.

I didn't expect a sweep but i do think grizzlies overachieved to get to the WCF. Zbo and Gasol was no where as effective as they were in the thunder series, why? The spurs doubled them down low for the majority of the games because grizzlies lack outside shooting with prince and allen on the floor. Now that they have disrupted their post game they have rendered grizzlies go to offense useless. The spurs PnR is also destroying the grizzlies, zbo is just too slow to keep up with anyone especially tony parker. Plus they don't play ice so because of penetration they were allowed good looks consistently.

I think spurs front court aren't as potent as grizzlies or pacers, but you can never count out duncan. They have good defensive personnels in green and leonard to go up against lebron and wade and parker against cole/chalmers will be interesting. Like ive said before if the spurs do meet heat in the finals it would be a very even series.

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    For an old experienced core in which the spurs have, they would often find it hard to lift that extra gear to beat other teams before the finals. Now that they are there and its their last stand along with their incredible finals record...I can only see a very tight and enthralling series ahead. I dont think you have watched Duncan enough to know what he is capable of on defense when he's really trying. I think James is secretly scared of facing the Heat, he will have to hit clutch shots and be superman.
    Nobodies scared of playing anybody in the NBA, especially the best player in the NBA.

Lebron is one of the best under pressure players in the league, he'll be fine.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poido123

As scared as Rose is of the basketball court?

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichieW
    Spurs fan here, I gotta be honest I don't see why Heat fans think they match up well with the Spurs.

Our best defenders are at the 2, 3 and 4 which is exactly what the Heat have. Green on Wade will be crucial, a prime Wade at 100% would murder him but he isn't that player consistently anymore. Green won't be able to stop him, but will play him tough.

Also, the Heats achilles heel is ball movement. When a team plays ISO and relies on it's superstars (OKC) they get easily beaten. When a team plays together and shares the ball (Dallas) they have a shot.

Heat will be favourites. Big favourites, they have the best player in the world after all, but I think the Spurs are probably the worst match up in the league for the Heat.

Not to mention their 2 best players happen to be a center who can both score and defense the post, and an attacking pg who gets to the paint at will

Spurs will expose Heat's big man problem BIG TIME..

Each series is different.

Remember when OKC backdoor swept the Spurs last season in the WCF while Miami struggled with Boston? then Miami destroyed OKC in 5...

Quote Originally Posted by RichieW

I somewhat agree with this. Assuming both teams start players at their traditional positions, the Spurs will match up well with the Heat.

Cole/Chalmers v. Parker
    Wade v. Green
    Bron v. Leonard
    Splitter v. Haslem
    Duncan v. Bosh

Or switching the match-ups with Duncan/Splitter and Bosh/Haslem. Miami got a lot of production out of Haslem and Bosh in game 3, and when they hit open shots it is extremely difficult to score with Miami. Part of the reason they got open looks was from Hibbert being uncomfortable in leaving the paint to contenst either Bosh's 3 or Haslem's baseline jumper. Although it might have been game plan by willing to give up outside jumpers to role players in exchange for Hibbert staying in to protect the rim from a Lebron or Wade drive.

I think Parker will get his. The Spurs are excellent at slowing the pace down and picking their spots to run. When in half-court, Parker uses screens extremely well and can find open 3pt shooters (Green, Kawhi, and Bonner when he's in).

The interesting part will be if Miami chooses to play small, with a lineup of something like Cole/Wade/Battier/Lebron/Bosh, etc, any kind of lineup with either Lebron or Battier used as a 4 and with the center being either Birdman or Bosh. It may be a better decision to counter with Parker/Ginobili/Green/Leonard/Duncan. Having two bigs like Duncan, Splitter, or Bonner in at a time may be useless when one is going to have to be guarding Battier, which will be around the 3pt arc.

Anyways, my money is on the Heat in 6. But if it goes to 7 I think the Spurs have a really good shot. Assuming D-Wade and Bosh can score atleast around 15-17 each and the role players can make shots in AT LEAST two games of being hot, the Heat should win in 6.

i'm glad. i think heat would have beaten either MEM or SAS. with Memphis it will be a boring defensive series where we'll see abysmal offense and bad refereeing.

with the SA's open style of play and MIA's open court style as well, we'll see some exciting basketball for once with the potential of both teams being able to shut each other down.

I just want an entertaining series from the 2 best teams in the NBA for the NBA Crown.