Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Default Top 3 annoyingly overhyped young players

Potential for young players can only go so far before they are overrated...

1. Andrew Bynum - Whether it's someone pointing out his Hakeem-like footwork , Ewing-like mid-range jumper, or Mutombo-esque defensive potential ... I'm really getting sick of it either way. This guy has done NOTHING in the NBA. Even if he somehow lasts a full season and stays healthy, his ceiling is Kendrick Perkins. Naming him a top 5-10 Center means nothing when mediocre bigs like Kaman & Camby are top 10.

2. Eric Gordon - This is really getting annoying how homers are starting to talk. I used to underrate him myself coming out of college, but now these Clipper trolls are making me start to dislike the hype. Like seriously, there are Clipper fans who think both him & Griffin are going to average 20PPG next season, this crap is getting out of hand. He's a good shooter, but he's undersized & he needs the ball to be effective. IMHO, his ceiling is a more consistent Ben Gordon.

3. Wilson Chandler - C'Mon, you Knick homers were upset Walsh was considering trading him for the 5th pick? Are you serious?? A guy who put up 14/5 on 33 Minutes () as a second year player in one of the fastest paced offenses in the NBA.... You actually think he's more valuable than a 5th pick (who would have been Rubio or Curry)?... GTFOH. At best he's a role player... that's his ceiling "role player", I won't even bother comparing his potential to any current player, because the truth is I don't even know if he could currently start on most teams in the NBA.

Post your own.

Default Re: Top 3 annoyingly overhyped young players

1. Andrew Bynum (Maybe the most overhyped in the league)

2. Kevin Durant (Come on guys...he's never going to be as good a Lebron)

3. Ricky Rubio (Wouldn't even make All conference in American college basketball)

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33

3. Ricky Rubio (Wouldn't even make All conference in American college basketball)
    Big difference between Durant and the other two... Durant is good and has put up great numbers, the others haven't.

I rule the local playground

1. Bynum
    2. Bynum
    3. Bynum

Dude Durant is a damn good player already I don't think he gets the hype he should straight up.

And for all yall hating on Bynum all the kid has to do is block shots, put backs, and rebound in career right now for him to rack up rings. He does have massive potential you would be a fool to think otherwise.

Magic Johnson

We had a similar thread last year, and Bynum proved the hype was warranted when he was healthy.

Durant isn't overrated. He's going into his 3rd season and he's already a 25 ppg scorer.

Local High School Star

I agree with 1 and 3, but Durant? He is going to be great and only reason the Lebron thing came up was because some reporter had nothing to right about so he said Durant > Lebron, but besides that reporter, no1 else thinks that unless they are just trolling.

I would take your list but switch Durant with Anthony Randolph... They say he is a superstar who isn't getting playing time just cause a summer league performance.

Trick Hoopz Alley-Oops

Blasphemy.

:3

Mayo
    Westbrook
    Chandler

And Gordon got 16 points last year on only 11 FGA. It's not impossible that he'd get more points this year with Z-Bo gone.
    Last edited by PaperClip; 08-03-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Decent college freshman

Bynum (more overrated than any other athlete in sports)
    OJ Mayo (just another chucker)
    Oden

1.Stephen Curry-it pains me to say it since iam a warriors fan but goddamn the love affair with this guy is insane his first summer league game they said he looke like a pro dude had a horrible shooting percentage

2.Blake Griffin-dont see this guy living up to the hype some people talk about

3.Greg Oden his hype was annoying

Quote Originally Posted by unknown101

I would take your list but switch Durant with Anthony Randolph... They say he is a superstar who isn't getting playing time just cause a summer league performance.
    hes not a superstar........yet

Trick Hoopz Alley-Oops

Ricky Rubio - Self Explanatory

Curry - He's a Chucker, i don't get the Hype about him.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    We had a similar thread last year, and Bynum proved the hype was warranted when he was healthy.
    And who exactly agreed with that?

There always seems to be some excuse with Bynum... fact is... the longest healthy stretches we've seen is the beginning of the '08 season, and the beginning of the '09 season. And his stats/impact were VERY mediocre.

Nobody wants to hear about your magnified stats over a 10 game period, or you to pin point the specific matchups you feel are most important while discarding the rest... while extrapolating nonsense stats to fit your agenda.

Fact is, even when he's healthy he's WAY too inconsistent. You MUST include his complete body of work whil healthy. That's why one game he'll have 20/10, and the next game 5/3 and foul out. At the end of the day his best averages while healthy were 13/10/2 & 14/8/2. Period.