Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: All-Time Rankings: Jason Kidd vs Allen Iverson

As a point guard, I would go with Jason Kidd. He really made his players better and that's what you want from your point guard. Amazing dribble and court vision. He see's the court in a way only few can. Great defender in his prime. His shot was inconsistent his entire career but he found other ways to score. One of the best pg re bounders as well. He really got so many players big contracts over his career.

Allen Iverson is one of the most talented point guards to ever play the game. Amazing skill, speed handle. One of the best scorers of our generation and of all time. True heart of a warrior. He is one of the toughest players I have ever seen. When he stepped on the court, you knew you would see him give it his all. He was quite a spectacle to watch in his prime. Quickest first step and blew by anyone. There was really no answer for him in his prime, no pun intended.

Overall, I think AI is the better basketball player, but I think Jason Kidd is the better point guard, if that makes any sense. Jason Kidd played the point guard how it is fundamentally supposed to. AI was a unique combo player, but I would prefer a guy who I can trust to run the point and trust to play some defense. I have nothing against AI and give him all the credit for what he has accomplished in his career, but Kidd to me has proven he can make everyone better and lead his team to success. AI has always been one of the more difficult players to build around because he is not your prototypical pg. With Kidd, its easier to build a team bc he is a true pg

Dunking on everybody in the park Tha Catalyst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I'll take Kidd in his prime and for his career. He was better at everything except scoring and he's one of the best of all time at making his teammates better. Just ask Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin. Great all around player who was the best rebounding point guard since Magic and one of the best rebounding guards ever, one of the all time great passers and playmakers, an excellent defender in his prime and while he didn't need to score to impact a game, he could score.

In his prime people forget that Jason was a crafty scorer who may have never been a pure scorer, but he could find a way to put the ball in the basket when his team needed him to, whether it be a floating shot in the lane, a layup on the fastbreak or a 3. He imposed his will on games and completely changed the identity of the Nets overnight.

The Nets traded Stephon Marbury, an all-star point guard who averaged 24 and 8 and got Kidd, and they double their win total from the previous year while making it to the finals. They went from being the 23rd ranked defense to the 1st ranked defense and it was because of Kidd.

Kidd averaged 15, 7 and 10 with over 2 steals, but in the playoffs he averaged almost 20 points, 8 rebounds and 9 assists while improving his shooting percentage from 39.1% to 41.5% and he led the team in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals. He was the reason why they made it to the finals. There's a reason why he was 2nd in MVP voting.

The next season he proved the Nets were no fluke by leading them in scoring with nearly 19 ppg and assists with about 9 per game game while averaging over 6 rebounds and a team leading 2.2 steals per game. Once again he stepped up his game in the playoffs averaging 20, 8 and 8 and making it back to the finals and actually giving the Spurs a competitive series. In fact if not for his injury the next season the Nets probably would have made it back to the finals.

Kidd is 3rd all time in triple doubles and assists. Plus he's 7th all time in steals and 4th among guards all time in rebounds.
    Perfectly put, totally agree with everything you said. Its probably Kidds defensive side that gives him the real nod over AI.

AI is the far better individual talent, but basketball is a team sport and Kidd had more of an impact on his teammates. I vote for Kidd.

Prime? Kidd
    Career? Kidd

At the end of the day, 9/10 teams, Kidd's team will beat AI's teams. I'm just talking 10 random teams. 9/10 times, Kidd will help them more. AI, is only when the team lacks scorers TOTALLY, and is tough defensively, for example, 01 76ers. Otherwise, Kidd will win you more games, so give me Kidd. That makes him a better player prime wise.

As far as career, both are great. But I think AI will be remembered as just a scorer, and Kidd as a great all-around legendary PG.

Local High School Star chitownsfinest's Avatar

AI was the better individual player and if I need to win a big game, I take him no matter what. However, Kidd brings more team success. The was he turned around the Nets franchise from being a laughingstock to a perennial contender puts him over AI slightly.

Local High School Star sirkeelma's Avatar

If i am starting a team.. I'd pick AI..

LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

If I want to win a championship, I'd take Kidd ten times out of ten.

Kidd.

ISH Fun Fact: When comparing two random players, the discussion is usually about skill, stats and accomplishments/accolades. When comparing two random players and one of them is named Allen Iverson, the discussion turns to simply who made their team better, thus setting up AI to be considered the worse player of the 2 time and time again. I get it now.

overall player- ai
    point guard/leadership- kidd
    hitting woman- tie, maybe a slight edge to kidd

A.i.....

LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Quote Originally Posted by Richie2k6
    ISH Fun Fact: When comparing two random players, the discussion is usually about skill, stats and accomplishments/accolades. When comparing two random players and one of them is named Allen Iverson, the discussion turns to simply who made their team better, thus setting up AI to be considered the worse player of the 2 time and time again. I get it now.
    Doesn't mean it's not the truth. Oh I get it you would rather have Iverson on your team from a pure entertainment aspect? Ok, I'd rather have a winner on my team.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Up
    Doesn't mean it's not the truth. Oh I get it you would rather have Iverson on your team from a pure entertainment aspect? Ok, I'd rather have a winner on my team.
    Usually all-time rankings have little to do with who makes their team better or who you would rather have, and more to do with who is better at playing the game of basketball. But when Iverson's name is mentioned, it's allllll about what they do for their teams and who is more likely to win. I just find it funny. You know, agendas and all.

LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

I just find it funny. You know, agendas and all.
    How are they agendas? Iverson is significantly more talented then Billups; look at how much better Denver became once that trade was done. AI is one of the most talented players this league has ever seen but for various reasons the guy is not a winner in this league.

We can compare two players but when one of them has all the talent in the world but does not deliver for the benefit of team success; then we have this discussion.

LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Usually all-time rankings have little to do with who makes their team better or who you would rather have, and more to do with who is better at playing the game of basketball. But when Iverson's name is mentioned, it's allllll about what they do for their teams and who is more likely to win. I just find it funny. You know, agendas and all.
    Really? Last I checked Bill Russell is considered by some to be the greatest ever.