Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default I don't understand the Wilt worship on here.

I recognize him as an all time great, a top ten GOAT, and one of the most dominant players ever, but it seems like the Wilt stans on here are trying to prove something and it doesn't just seem like trolling. Comparing Wilt to Lebron or Wilt to anyone in the modern era (let's say 84-present) is just retarded. Everything about everything was different back then...right? I scratch my head everytime Wilt is brought up on here in the context of defending him against modern players.

Banned

Default Re: I don't understand the Wilt worship on here.

I'd say there is an irrational crusade against him, tbh.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Ah yes, the modern player that has evolved by leaps and bounds compared to the troglodytes of a half century ago.

Banned

ISH has a strange obsession with big men

they literally ranked duncan the 5th best player ever

hes 20/10 during his peak for christ sake

theres like 400 guys who averaged 20 points during their peak

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    I'd say there is an irrational crusade against him, tbh.
    Because there is a certain grandpa who would lie, cherrypick, and downplay other greats specially centers just to prop him up. He even made a new account after posters went after his original opinion on Wilt with his old account.

This grandpa didn't help Wilt's case, he's making people aware of all of Wilt's choke jobs in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin

how many did it for 15 years

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin

25/15/3blks in the playoffs while a winning championship without any other all-stars or all-NBA caliber players is nothing

peak Duncan > peak Kobe

How does Kobe get brought up in a thread about Wilt?

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

It's only a select few.....actually just one person, who has this Wilt worship, spending hours writing essays to defend him, regurgitating the same old crap, and coming up with all sorts of hilarious excuses to defend whatever he is being criticized for (costly FT misses, poor postseason performances, making excuses, etc...).

"Wilt might be the most clutch, big-game performer ever"
    "He was misquoted in his own autobiography"
    "Wilt destroyed Kareem head to head in 1972"

Mostly everyone else is reasonable about him

Quote Originally Posted by Connor B
    I recognize him as an all time great, a top ten GOAT, and one of the most dominant players ever, but it seems like the Wilt stans on here are trying to prove something and it doesn't just seem like trolling. Comparing Wilt to Lebron or Wilt to anyone in the modern era (let's say 84-present) is just retarded. Everything about everything was different back then...right? I scratch my head everytime Wilt is brought up on here in the context of defending him against modern players.
    If the term "GOAT" has any actual meaning for you (because you claimed yourself that "everything about everything was different back then"), then I don't see anything wrong with comparing him to more modern players. Plus, what is considered modern is in the eye of the beholder. I myself don't see why an 1985 player would be compared to a 2014 player with no problem, but comparing a 1985 player to someone who had been active in 1973 and played strong enough pickup games against legit, active NBA players to receive official proposals for a comeback up to the late 80's is a no-no. I hardly see any worshipping, either, at least compared to the hatred of some posters.
    Elvin Hayes was still active in 1984. Could we compare him to Wilt or not? And he's not even the most famous example for Wilt's case.
    Last edited by Psileas; 09-20-2014 at 08:05 AM.

I wonder why the OP chose 84 as his starting point...

let's say 84-present
    Non-arbitrary cut-off. Because Barkley, right?

30 years ago is pretty modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
    It's only a select few.....actually just one person, who has this Wilt worship, spending hours writing essays to defend him, regurgitating the same old crap, and coming up with all sorts of hilarious excuses to defend whatever he is being criticized for (costly FT misses, poor postseason performances, making excuses, etc...).

"Wilt might be the most clutch, big-game performer ever"
    "He was misquoted in his own autobiography"
    "Wilt destroyed Kareem head to head in 1972"

Mostly everyone else is reasonable about him
    Chamberlain averaged 31.2 ppg, 26.4 rpg, and shot .540 from the field in his 23 "must win" playoff games. And in his 37 "elimination games" in his post-season career, he averaged 29.5 ppg, 26.1 rpg, 4.2 apg, and shot .546 from the floor.

You gave us a documentary in which Wilt was quoted as saying that Frazier ALWAYS outplayed West. Of course, in his actual book, and on page 236, he said what was the absolute truth...that Frazier OFTEN outplayed West.

And I have never claimed that Wilt "destroyed" Kareem head-to-head in 1972." However, the overwhelming consensus from those that actual saw that series was that, yes, Wilt outplayed Kareem. Time Magazine went so far as to claim that Wilt DECISIVELY outplayed Kareem in that series. Nor can anyone argue with the fact that a PEAK Kareem could only shoot .414 in the last four games of that series.

Next...

A 37 year old Kareem, nearing the twilight of his career, won a FMVP in the '85 Finals. And a 37-38 year old KAJ just annihilated a 23-24 year old Hakeem in their ten straight H2H games in '85 and '86. In one of those games, Kareem poured in 46 points in only 37 minutes against Olajuwon, and near the same time frame, KAJ had another game in which he murdered Patrick Ewing by a 40-9 margin.

And yet in '83, Kareem was CRUSHED by the 6-10 Moses Malone, and in fact, over the course of their 40 career H2H games, Moses generally dominated a near prime KAJ.

And in arguably Kareem's greatest season, in 71-72, a PEAK Kareem was outscored and outshot in his playoff series with Nate Thurmond. And over the course of their many career H2H games, KAJ shot .447 against a full-time Nate.

The evidence suggests that the centers that were in the league before 1984, gave Kareem FAR more problems, than those that would be among the best centers of the 90's.

With all of that...a PRIME Chamberlain was considerably more dominant in his H2H's against the same centers that a PRIME Kareem would battle a few years later.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 09-20-2014 at 08:45 AM.

One Mizzou.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    A 37 year old Kareem, nearing the twilight of his career, won a FMVP in the '85 Finals. And a 37-38 year old KAJ just annihilated a 23-24 year old Hakeem in their ten straight H2H games in '85 and '86. In one of those games, Kareem poured in 46 points in only 37 minutes against Olajuwon, and near the same time frame, KAJ had another game in which he murdered Patrick Ewing by a 40-9 margin.

And yet in '83, Kareem was CRUSHED by the 6-10 Moses Malone, and in fact, over the course of their 40 career H2H games, Moses generally dominated a near prime KAJ.

And in arguably Kareem's greatest season, in 71-72, a PEAK Kareem was outscored and outshot in his playoff series with Nate Thurmond. And over the course of their many career H2H games, KAJ shot .447 against a full-time Nate.

The evidence suggests that the centers that were in the league before 1984, gave Kareem FAR more problems, than those that would be among the best centers of the 90's.

With all of that...a PRIME Chamberlain was considerably more dominant in his H2H's against the same centers that a PRIME Kareem would battle a few years later.
    Hakeem didn't even guard Kareem. It was Sampson. And Kareem couldn't check Hakeem And Pat Riley knew it. That's why he tried to keep every other big but Kareem on Hakeem.