Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Magic Johnson told Dwight Howard he could never play in the NBA

Orlando Magic star Dwight Howard recently revealed that when he was 15, he met Magic Johnson, who told him that he didn't have what it took to make it to the NBA.

"He said I was too skinny," Howard said. "Magic inspired me by telling me I wasn't going to make it, that I was too little. I was in 10th grade when he told me I was too skinny to play in the NBA. I said, OK, we'll see."
    http://www.vladtv.com/blog/49152/mag...ay-in-the-nba/

Way to show him Dwight!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Magic Johnson told Dwight Howard he could never play in the NBA

Magic Johnson might seem like a really nice guy on TV, but privately I think he is completely fake, you can detect the "fakeness" when he is on TV laughing at jokes that weren't even that funny. I remember when he was giving his speech in the HOF in 2010 when the 1992 dream team got inducted, you can see Barkley & Pippen in the background looking at Magic uninterested & annoyed, but when Bird gave his speech right after, he was making Barkley, Pippen & others laughing their asses off. You can sense they respect Bird more than Magic.

another bad analysis by magic johnson. what else is new

When Dwight was 15, he was indeed too skinny to play in the NBA. So it was the correct assessment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Magic Johnson might seem like a really nice guy on TV, but privately I think he is completely fake, you can detect the "fakeness" when he is on TV laughing at jokes that weren't even that funny. ...
    I thought I was the only one who sees this in Magic.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Hgh > Aids

and Magic, seeing that Dwight had indeed gained enough weight to make it to the NBA, retaliated by gaining 350 pounds himself and upstaging the young upstart.

Banned

Magic need to stop hollin wit his ol' dirty d[COLOR="Black"]ick[/COLOR] ass

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Magic Johnson might seem like a really nice guy on TV, but privately I think he is completely fake, you can detect the "fakeness" when he is on TV laughing at jokes that weren't even that funny. I remember when he was giving his speech in the HOF in 2010 when the 1992 dream team got inducted, you can see Barkley & Pippen in the background looking at Magic uninterested & annoyed, but when Bird gave his speech right after, he was making Barkley, Pippen & others laughing their asses off. You can sense they respect Bird more than Magic.
    IDK, Magic doesn't really seem fake to me. I guess Pippen and the others were all just to used to Magic's cheerful attitude in contrast to Bird's usually sullen one, and so it was a change of pace to hear Bird cracking jokes.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Magic Johnson might seem like a really nice guy on TV, but privately I think he is completely fake, you can detect the "fakeness" when he is on TV laughing at jokes that weren't even that funny.
    Some people call that "fake", or "phony". Others call it being polite .

But yeah, Magic does seem like a guy who tries to publicly portray himself in a certain way, rather than a completely genuine guy. So does Jordan, and a lot of others, though. Gotta make them endorsement $$, and being genuine can be risky!

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    Some people call that "fake", or "phony". Others call it being polite .

But yeah, Magic does seem like a guy who tries to publicly portray himself in a certain way, rather than a completely genuine guy. So does Jordan, and a lot of others, though. Gotta make them endorsement $$, and being genuine can be risky!
    Yep, just look at Tim Hardaway.

i don't think magic is 'fake', it's just that he's a terrible public speaker with nothing really interesting to say. which is fine, that's most people. then again, most people aren't paid to speak in public and come up with interesting things to say on tv...

anyway, seems like dwight took magic's critique to heart and gained weight. so good for dwight, and good for magic to give a young kid some constructive criticism, it obviously worked

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    Gotta make them endorsement $$, and being genuine can be risky!

benig fake isnt excused just because you're doing it to make money

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    benig fake isnt excused just because you're doing it to make money
    Speculating about motives =/= Condoning actions.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

How can Magic be fake when he told Dwight how he really felt?

He could have said the usual "That's great work hard keep it up" to the 15 year old kid like most teachers do to their students. Only a man keeping it real could have pointed such a weakness out to Dwight so that he began working on his body or you won't see the freak of Dwight that he is today.