Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Kobe Bryant to Surpass Kareem Abdul-Jabbar As Career Scoring Leader?

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    One thing to note: MJ took prime years off. He could have very well had the all time most points if he didn't.

Anyway, that's a lot to ask from Kobe. It's not just being 40, but the miles. He's been in the league quite a while.

But it doesn't matter anyway, since Lebron will overtake his scoring total as long as he stays healthy. Durant has a shot at that as well.
    Lebron will certainly not overtake Kobe because he chose to leave and join Batman and Robin, as Batgirl.

He will not have to shoulder the load and score.

Banned

Default Re: Kobe Bryant to Surpass Kareem Abdul-Jabbar As Career Scoring Leader?

the real key is that lebron james was the only guy who had a chance of bumping kobe after kobe got to kareems 38,000+

but since hes with miami now i dont think he will get there. hes gonna average like 20/8/8 now

hell nah

No way in hell Kobe plays another 8 years. That'd make him like a 22 year vet. His body's already starting to wear down...I'll give him 4-5 more years, and that's just cuz he's got that ultra-competitive fire in him. If it was anyone else but Kobe in the same physical condition I'd give them 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    No way in hell Kobe plays another 8 years. That'd make him like a 22 year vet. His body's already starting to wear down...I'll give him 4-5 more years, and that's just cuz he's got that ultra-competitive fire in him. If it was anyone else but Kobe in the same physical condition I'd give them 2-3 years.
    i agree, i see him playing at a high level for about 3 or 4 more years. 8 is a little much honestly that is a lot of wear and tear on him. Its funny remember when allen iverson was a scoring machine killing it every night with 30 or 40 points, he was the best scorer in the game. I am sure he had a huge lead on kobe as far as 30 or 40 point games lietrally in about 3 seasons kobe pretty much caught him 05-08 and surpassed him as the best scorer in the game.

I hope he doesn't play until he's 40. I hope he respects himself and doesn't play at that time cause he deserves to end up on a high instead of looking like a washed up player out there, would be sad to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    I hope he doesn't play until he's 40. I hope he respects himself and doesn't play at that time cause he deserves to end up on a high instead of looking like a washed up player out there, would be sad to see.
    Shaq and Iverson are confused by your logic. Stop...playing? Respect? End on a high? What is this language you are speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by griffmoney2084
    the real key is that lebron james was the only guy who had a chance of bumping kobe after kobe got to kareems 38,000+

but since hes with miami now i dont think he will get there. hes gonna average like 20/8/8 now

your forgetting Durant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by N0Skillz
    your forgetting Durant
    doubt he'l last as long as kobe

NBA rookie of the year

I still think LeBron has a decent shot at it.

Wade is a few years older, as he gets to age 32/33/34, LeBron will likely have to shoulder more and more of the scoring load in Miami.

kareem was scoring boatloads until the age of 40. at the age of 40, he averaged 14.6. this is insane people! you gotta factor in that he was almost injury free. karl malone is 2nd all-time in points and at the age of 40, he averaged 13.2 points.

this record is just not gonna break for a long time. it's just not happening. 4 seasons scoring 30 or more+. 5 seasons scoring 28+. 10 seasons scoring 25+. 17 seasons scoring 20+.

as far as malone's scoring....one season scoring 30+. 4 seasons scoring 28+. 13 seasons scoring 25+ (this is where KM's scoring consistency showed up). 16 seasons scoring 20+. i don't see this happening any time soon.

kareem has rare longevity on his side. he was a scorer from his high school and college days. dump it into the post, let kareem score or pass out of it. all day. let kobe get close to even KM before we discuss kareem. even 10.4 points over 74 games in kareem's final season is 774 points. longevity has a lot to do with it.

lebron is also a long shot considering the team he went too. at times, he'll even be the 3rd scoring option. rarely, but it's still there. KD has a nice arc going. if he stays healthy, he has a good shot at it but we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. he's a great scorer. i like how he's using his length inside and using the glass to get easy buckets more and more. he's already an above average shooter. still, his weakness is being a playmaker. i think he improves there and i don't see him scoring 30+ more than a few times. i always see him being a great scorer but it's hard to match up to kareem or KM. just look at the math. wrap your head around this. kobe has to average 24+ until the age of 41, basically injury free. possible? sure. likely? not at all. somewhat likely? still don't like the odds.

really, just get a paypal account. i'll buy a rake and take your money.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 08-24-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Serious playground baller Flamboyant's Avatar

Of course it is a "big IF", but if Kobe stays healthy, I can easily see him being a 25+ppg scorer for each of the next 5 seasons. If things go his way he can end up averaging 28ppg for the next five years combined, while playing 80 games: which means he'll end up with 37000 by then. Kobe actually has a decent shot at 40000+. His game doesn't rely much on athleticism, and he has an unmatched work ethic. The odds are still against him though. Staying injury-free, is not a given, plus his minutes are taking a dip, but if someone will do it, it'll probably be Kobe.

I rule the local playground

Well, I can see him averaging under 25 ppg in the next 4 years. Who knows what the future will bring but like I said, he will probably average over 25 ppg in the next 4 years. Or something along those lines. Then if he averages say 17 ppg for the 4 years after that, he can break the record. Crazy to talk 8 years in advance but it's possible, why not. 8 years is a long time...8 years ago Kobe and Shaq have just won their 2nd ring together...that was a LOOONG time ago.

Where OJ Mayo Happens mayo'sgrizz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Thats why I said 75 game average, concerning any possible failure in health.
    true. im not gonna question him he has overcame injuries time after time. he could do this and tht be incredible

I wouldn't want him to. It would be better for his legacy if he ends his career on a all time high. Maybe after he gets his 7th.