Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Atlanta Hawks at Brooklyn Nets 7:30 Game Thread

He's not playing though...

The Brooklyn Nets and Atlanta Hawks both lost key pieces to season-ending injuries last month. While Deron Williams is starting to pick up the slack for the Nets, the Hawks are still looking for others to step up.

Brooklyn goes for a season best-tying third consecutive win Monday night against visiting Atlanta, which tries to avoid a season worst-tying third straight defeat.

After posting a season-high 29 points in Thursday's thrilling 95-93 win at Oklahoma City, Williams scored 21 and shot 7 of 10 as the Nets (12-21) got by Cleveland 89-82 on Saturday. The three-time All-Star is averaging 13.6 points, 4.0 less than his career mark, but Brooklyn is 3-1 when he scores at least 20.

"Deron -- two games in a row now that he's been big for us, leading the way," said coach Jason Kidd, whose team won three in a row Dec. 7-12. "He's getting great looks and also finding his teammates, that's been a big plus for us."

The Nets were outrebounded 45-33 but held the Cavaliers to 36.7 percent shooting. They have gone 3-4 since All-Star center Brook Lopez went down with a broken foot Dec. 20.

"We're not buckling, we're not getting down," said Andray Blatche, who had 12 points in his first game since missing four due to personal reasons. "We're fighting and we're competing."

The Hawks (18-16), meanwhile, have compiled a 2/3 record since Al Horford suffered a torn pectoral Dec. 26. Atlanta has averaged just 99.2 points and shot 40.8 percent over that stretch, significantly lower than its season marks of 102.6 and 46.1.

The Hawks had an especially rough go in Saturday's 91-84 loss at Chicago. Paul Millsap had 16 points and 12 rebounds but shot 5 of 18 as Atlanta matched its lowest scoring total of the season.

The Hawks, who were limited to 37.2 percent shooting, dropped three straight Nov. 23-27.

"It was a close game and we just couldn't find a way," said coach Mike Budenholzer, whose team surrendered a season-high 20 offensive boards. "I think we have to be a little smarter down the stretch. We have to compete every possession, every rebound."

While Millsap has scored a combined 67 points in the Hawks' last two wins, he's averaged 15.0 and shot 26.1 percent over their last three defeats.

Atlanta has taken seven of nine from the Nets, most recently winning 105-93 at Brooklyn on March 17. It was Horford, though, who led the way in that game with 22 points and 11 rebounds.

Former Hawks guard Joe Johnson, averaging 14.9 points, has managed 7.0 while shooting 30.0 percent during Brooklyn's 3-2 stretch. However, Andrei Kirilenko has provided a boost in three games since returning from a back injury last week.

"He's a pro. Sometimes the stat sheet doesn't show it but he does all the little things, coming up with loose balls, finding open teammates and being able to cut and finish plays," Kidd said. "The last two games he's been able to do that and it's been big for us."

The Nets are 12-5 when holding opponents to 100 points or fewer compared to 0-16 when they don't. Atlanta has dropped seven of nine on the road while getting outscored 107.9-101.7.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Default Re: Atlanta Hawks at Brooklyn Nets 7:30 Game Thread

Wow. 12-5 when holding opponents under 100 points. Makes you think where the Nets would be if they consistently showed an inkling of respect and discipline on defense. 0-16 when allowing over 100 points? Geez, that's anemic. This is going to go down as a loss for the Nets. No Deron, no Brook and we desperately needed him just for our last two wins so it's not going to go good without him tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Wow. 12-5 when holding opponents under 100 points. Makes you think where the Nets would be if they consistently showed an inkling of respect and discipline on defense. 0-16 when allowing over 100 points? Geez, that's anemic. This is going to go down as a loss for the Nets. No Deron, no Brook and we desperately needed him just for our last two wins so it's not going to go good without him tonight.
    You knew he was going to start missing games again, all the "he's playing hurt" shit started leaking from all the Nets guys after the OKC game. If he starts missing games the Nets are going to go into a funk (it's hard to keep asking players to start over with energy again and again and again). That's why Texas (for the Knicks) and the last two games for the Nets were so important. It's not the hole is too big, it's the motivation for climbing out leaves you.

We'll see how much Deron misses. The Nets could/should still be able to win tonight. Hawks are what they are, the Knicks have beat them twice this year playing shitty against them.

I know we're without Deron but this offense is too anemic. Missed shot after missed shot yet the nets keep chucking away. Not the recipe for success...

High School Varsity 6th Man Dr. Ice's Avatar

is the nets crowd always this lifeless? i mean wow the hawks suck with attendance but atleast we're loud if our crowd was that full

Having Kirilenko out there makes this team much better.

He has been in everything tonight. Such a smart player.

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Having Kirilenko out there makes this team much better.

He has been in everything tonight. Such a smart player.
    Yes he is so versatile.

Niko for a hater you sure like to post about the Nets, good or bad and for that I applaud you.

Hot Rihanna at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Bella
    Yes he is so versatile.

Niko for a hater you sure like to post about the Nets, good or bad and for that I applaud you.
    Net fans on this board don't post news, game threads, anything unless it's ridiculously good. (NETS ACQUIRE LEBRON JAMES FOR NOTHING!) They're interesting. I like to put it to discuss.

One thing, Net announcers need to stop acting like there is a debate in Atlanta about JJ. He could 95 gamewinners and the trade is a total win for Atlanta, they got rid of his contract and got what looks like a decent pick.

High School Varsity 6th Man Dr. Ice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Net fans on this board don't post news, game threads, anything unless it's ridiculously good. (NETS ACQUIRE LEBRON JAMES FOR NOTHING!) They're interesting. I like to put it to discuss.

One thing, Net announcers need to stop acting like there is a debate in Atlanta about JJ. He could 95 gamewinners and the trade is a total win for Atlanta, they got rid of his contract and got what looks like a decent pick.
    Lol wait those announcers are seriously saying that?

Quote Originally Posted by niko

Yeah although we have been living in shame since the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
    Lol wait those announcers are seriously saying that?
    The post graphics and discuss the return and how good JJ was, etc. Atlanta needed JJ gone. The fact the nets are happy with him is great at his salary. But it's a total win for Atlanta easily.

mmm we're just a different team without Horford

The announcers also made fun of players who "fall down and don't get up quickly", not like AK-47. Um, he's been hurt the entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    mmm we're just a different team without Horford
    Tough to be a Hawks fan atm.

They had a pretty promising team with Horford..