Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Versatility Is Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    List out to me all the players in the league who can do all of the following...

- defend the SF-C full time, protect the paint and switch on to perimeter players all at a DPOY level
    - give you 10-12 boards a night
    - give you 14-16 points a night, can get hustle points inside and has range out to 3PT
    - can push the ball and create in transition or initiate offense in the half court as a main playmaker
    - has a relentless motor/energy, physically tough, crazy competitor
    - is a vocal, emotional leader on court who elevates the mental state of all his teammates

I used to think he was overrated, but seriously, think about how many players in the league do everything he does, and at the level or better than how he does it. He's a bonafide star impact player. You don't put up 16/10/6/2/2 in the playoffs with 32/15/9 on 73% FG in game 7 of the finals and be overrated. He's a beast. Just not the type of beast you want him to be, the flashy iso scoring type of player.
    Well said! I think Dray is OVERRATED if people put him in the top 10 players in the league. BECAUSE u have alpha dog guys who ALSO have very good to great all around games to go with it. If people say he's more in the top 15 range I'm fine with that.

Another thing is Draymond last season had the best plus/minus season ever recorded.

We don't have the play-by-play numbers from before the mid 90's but it is very possible that no team ever played better than the Warriors did with Draymond on the floor last season.

That isn't to say he's anywhere near the most impactful player but it says something when you have that kind of effect on a team.

And just think about it, when did the Warriors take off and become this historically great team?

When Green was inserted into the starting lineup and helped make them the dyanamic, versatile team they are. He does so many things that just help you win ball games.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Another thing is Draymond last season had the best plus/minus season ever recorded.

We don't have the play-by-play numbers from before the mid 90's but it is very possible that no team ever played better than the Warriors did with Draymond on the floor last season.

That isn't to say he's anywhere near the most impactful player but it says something when you have that kind of effect on a team.

And just think about it, when did the Warriors take off and become this historically great team?

When Green was inserted into the starting lineup and helped make them the dyanamic, versatile team they are. He does so many things that just help you win ball games.
    Well said! Curry is by far their best player. BUT Dray is the main reason why they can play the style they can. He can defend damn near any position AND is a matchup problem on the other end for pure PF's and C's.

If u put a 3 on Dray, he can post them up. In some small ball lineups, the undersized PF or C couldn't defend their position well enough against bigger guys. OR some couldn't create a mismatch on offense. Dray gives u BOTH so he deserves mad props for that!

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    List out to me all the players in the league who can do all of the following...

- defend the SF-C full time, protect the paint and switch on to perimeter players all at a DPOY level
    - give you 10-12 boards a night
    - give you 14-16 points a night, can get hustle points inside and has range out to 3PT
    - can push the ball and create in transition or initiate offense in the half court as a main playmaker
    - has a relentless motor/energy, physically tough, crazy competitor
    - is a vocal, emotional leader on court who elevates the mental state of all his teammates

I used to think he was overrated, but seriously, think about how many players in the league do everything he does, and at the level or better than how he does it. He's a bonafide star impact player. You don't put up 16/10/6/2/2 in the playoffs with elite defense and 32/15/9 on 73% FG in game 7 of the finals and be overrated. He's a beast. Just not the type of beast you want him to be, the flashy iso scoring type of player.
    He's a really good player, and I'm just saying what he does isn't necessarily more valuable than an iso scorer who doesn't do all of those things, especially in a vacuum. Seriously, there are people that would argue he's a top 10 player. To me, he's a top 20-25 player. But I really don't think the warriors would've lost this year and lost two games last year if Draymond, Klay and Steph are all as good as people seem to think they are.
    Last edited by CTbasketball92; 09-22-2016 at 10:38 PM.