Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Which statement is more inarguable : Vince is GOAT dunker or MJ is GOAT player?

MJ is more definitive.

Default Re: Which statement is more inarguable : Vince is GOAT dunker or MJ is GOAT player?

Both are definitive. Vince has dunks with power. Dunks with style. Degree of difficulty. Pure vertical. Posters. Name it he had it.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035
    Interesting point. IMO Carter is the GOAT dunker in the NBA, but there are clearly better dunkers who have never played an NBA game. The same can't be said about MJ, he is simply the GOAT in any league

In the NBA he's the best dunker

Overall he's not ... plenty of streetballers do things he has never even attempted

MJ is the best basketball player ever, regardless of setting

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    Sure there is. There's eye test, individual awards, statistics, era, record removing a player, value to one's team......
    Who can really say?

Vince is just as regarded on every list as greatest dunker as Jordan is as greatest player. Google NBA's top (pick a number) and all have Vince at number one. That's pretty definitive to me
    Lol, most of this shit is BS

record removing player? WTF? Value? Record removing player IS an aspect of value you idiot... what the **** is eye test. Eye test is a filter of player judgement.

Dunking is more subjective than saying if one is good at basketball or not.

I usually hit open layups

Jordan is GOAT period. There is no denying it. 6 rings 6 FMVP. Clutch. Billionaire.

Vince Carter was GOAT dunker, but can argue Zack Lavine got the title now.

You can probably throw Steph being GOAT shooter into the same category. All 3 are probably number 1 but I guess cases can be made to various degrees against each.

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    You can probably throw Steph being GOAT shooter into the same category. All 3 are probably number 1 but I guess cases can be made to various degrees against each.
    Absolutely. Good addition

Personally I think there is more seperate on from Jordan to the next greatest than Vince to the next greatest. Curry may have the widest gap from the next greatest shooter.

Jordan is generally debated between KAJ, Russell, Wilt...

Vince's next closest competitor would be Nique, Doc, or Jordan, which I would have a greater seperation on

Curry's next closest would be Allen, Reggie, Bird? Nash and Kerr as well. Curry has an even greater gap.

All debatable but that's how I see it.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

They're both arguable, but the Carter one is more debatable since it has even more to do with personal preference and taste than Jordan being the GOAT player. I personally like VC as a dunker better than anyone else, but someone else may prefer the power of a Shaq or Darryl Dawkins, or love Dominique's two-footed explosions on put-back dunks.

With Jordan being the GOAT player, of course there is also personal opinion involved too, but it's more about results (rings, scoring titles, MVPS, etc...) rather than aesthetics. Carter being the best dunker ever is about all-time is about aesthetics and what kind of style you like most. It's not about effectiveness, otherwise a center like Shaq would be the best dunker when it comes to being the most effective with dunks.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

That Jordan is GOAT...honestly I think we put Vince on this unattainable pedestal out of nostalgia...he's an all time great dunker for sure, but we've seen players come that were just as good. I think the main difference is that these other players (richardson, lavine, gordon) aren't actually that good as far as OVERALL BASKETBALL goes and that's why we see Vince in a more favorable light.