Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Obsession with stats?

Stats are the facts of sports simple as that

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    what stats are you looking at? the stats this year say kobe is the best performer in the clutch in close games.
    talking about the overall stats up to I think 2011 when we were having the debate.

haven't looked that the clutch stats this year at all though.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    Stats are the facts of sports simple as that
    Basketball to me is too important for that.

The most important things in life, stats are no good for. Try to define your relationship with your parents, children or loved ones trhu stats. If basketball to you is an issue of the heart, stats are not very useful. If it is 'just a game', sure, go ahead with your stats.

Cheaper to watch box scores online than to subscribe to sports channels

I've always wondered if Soccer hasn't become popular in US Culture because it can't be gauged in a statsheet. Sure you see goals, but stats really don't show worth on the soccer field.

And in reality they barely do in Football, Basketball, maybe Hockey either.

People that use stats for every debate, really don't know the game. I mean even a stat as simple as assists are overrated in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    The most important things in life, stats are no good for. Try to define your relationship with your parents, children or loved ones trhu stats. If basketball to you is an issue of the heart, stats are not very useful. If it is 'just a game', sure, go ahead with your stats.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    I'm not bad with numbers, so I can assure you I can prove everything and its opposite with stats. What's more: you tell me what you want to hear as the result and I can design the right stat for you. You really like arguing ppg, PER, win shares, most off reb. on Sundays and whatnot? Go ahead.

It bores me to death.

I'm not bad with numbers, so I can assure you I can prove everything and its opposite with stats. What's more: you tell me what you want to hear as the result and I can design the right stat for you. You really like arguing ppg, PER, win shares, most off reb. on Sundays and whatnot? Go ahead.

It bores me to death.
    you can come up with faulty arguments for anything, you cant prove anything with stats, but you can use them as evidence, a piece in the puzzle.

they dont prove anything beyond doubt, but they are certainly very useful.

they dont prove anything beyond doubt, but they are certainly very useful.

I din't know Larry Bird's and Magic Johnson's career stats, even though I've seen their respective careers. But there was no internet at the time, stats were not readily available like now.

At the time there was a great debate: Who is better, Magic or Bird? Bird or Magic? I can look up the stats now. How much do you think it helps whan I want to answer the question? Exactly.

Stats can help me say things like: Nash is a better passer than Kobe. Thanks, I knew that without stats. WEhenever there is a really hard debate, stats won't help you decide.

They help you argue. If that's what you want... arguing... stats are a great tool. But for deciding who is better when it's close... forget it.

Surely you have missed a lot of magic or bird's games right? so even if you are going by the eye test, you dont have a full sample. there is a lot of information that you miss.

tbh, i think its arrogant to think that you can perfectly quantify everything thats going on on a basketball court, and to think that additional information wouldnt be helpful.

Basketball to me is too important for that.

What a douche.

Surely you have missed a lot of magic or bird's games right? so even if you are going by the eye test, you dont have a full sample. there is a lot of information that you miss.

tbh, i think its arrogant to think that you can perfectly quantify everything thats going on on a basketball court, and to think that additional information wouldnt be helpful.
    Information is helpful, if you want to argue. I have yet to see a person who is convinced by stats when it comes to hard decisions in life. (Not just basketball, everything.) I said tough decisions. It usually is the other way round.

Step 1: Make up your mind
    Step 2: Find the right stat for 'proof'

We humans tend to do it this way. At first, we have the feeling and we later on rationalize it, because in Western civilization we were taught using 'logic' is the 'right way'. (It cannot be proven though, logically. You have to 'believe' in logic's supremacy.)

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    What a douche.
    Sure. So why don't you go fu(k your mom, asshole? It's not hard saying things like that.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Information is helpful, if you want to argue. I have yet to see a person who is convinced by stats when it comes to hard decisions in life. (Not just basketball, everything.) I said tough decisions. It usually is the other way round.

Step 1: Make up your mind
    Step 2: Find the right stat for 'proof'

We humans tend to do it this way. At first, we have the feeling and we later on rationalize it, because in Western civilization we were taught using 'logic' is the 'right way'. (It cannot be proven though, logically. You have to 'believe' in logic's supremacy.)
    So because making uninformed decisions and then trying to rationalize the ones that become mistakes is present, we should accept that and continue along that path?

You are mixing a lot of cliches with nonsense here. Stats are intended to prevent exactly what you just said. That's a good thing. It's doing wonders in baseball and having more in depth analysis will help basketball. It's just a matter of using the data correctly. Trying to understand a sport more is a great thing. Not everything that comes out initially will be correct but that's why the studies continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    So because making uninformed decisions and then trying to rationalize the ones that become mistakes is present, we should accept that and continue along that path?
    You don't have to accept it, but you are going to go along that path anyway. Simply because all decisions are uninformed to an extent, always. Actually, the less you know abgout things the more you believe that you are well informed. If you have 100 different stats, you will have a lot more information -- and a lot more you don't know than ever before. And the same dilemma.

You are mixing a lot of cliches with nonsense here. Stats are intended to prevent exactly what you just said. That's a good thing. It's doing wonders in baseball and having more in depth analysis will help basketball. It's just a matter of using the data correctly. Trying to understand a sport more is a great thing. Not everything that comes out initially will be correct but that's why the studies continue.
    It's a great thing until one takes it too seriously. It's great that you can argue back and forth. But you are not going to understand the sport more via advanced stats.