Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Is this version of Kobe the worst player in NBA history?

He's making a mockery of the game and it's not good to watch. He's just out there as a ball stopper and all he's doing is chucking. The team is losing. He's not helping team chemistry. I know it's his final year, but once again it seems to be all about him. When it should be about the team.

He's been painful to watch all season. But these last two games have been over the top. Kobe is trippin and the Lakers organization (top to bottom) are pretty weak for allowing this shit to go down.

Man these dudes lost to the Sixers.

Local High School Star

statistically, yes he is. and using the eyeball test, he gave me eye cancer.

He's so terrible right now that he's aosta a parody of himself. I cant believe what's unfolding in front of my eyes when the Lakers play these days. As another poster said, he's making a mockery of the sport. Part of me finds it hillarious while the other part finds it disgusting to watch. It's just....awful basketball. Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by brain drain
    I love this version of Kobe.

Basically his deteriorating physical fitness has laid bare the very essence of this player.

HE NEVER QUITS.

Nothing can stop this man. You could literally take out his kneecaps, he'd still shoot 20 fga/game.

That's his indomitable will, the mind of a champion, fighting against all odds, never say die attitude, going down shooting etc.

It will be a very long time until we see anything like him again.
    Haters BTFO

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Replay32
    He's making a mockery of the game and it's not good to watch. He's just out there as a ball stopper and all he's doing is chucking. The team is losing. He's not helping team chemistry. I know it's his final year, but once again it seems to be all about him. When it should be about the team.

He's been painful to watch all season. But these last two games have been over the top. Kobe is trippin and the Lakers organization (top to bottom) are pretty weak for allowing this shit to go down.

It is all about the Team. To keep that pick.

Lakers aren't going anywhere until Kobe is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Replay32

Nailed it.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    He was close to the worst player last year too.

It's crazy because I didn't think he could get worse and he has proven me absolutely wrong.
    He's at least twice as bad as last year. At least that version I could possibly see help a good team. This version literally wouldn't get minutes on any other team.

If you count every single player in history including anyone that's ever had a 10 day contract and never stepped on the court, then he's probably not the worst. But that doesn't make sense. Out of anyone that actually plays relevant minutes and played more then a couple games, yes he arguably is the worst in history. His career is 100% living off his name right now. If it was about ability, he wouldn't be even on the court.

He could quite honestly be the worst player in any major sport ever to be allowed the green light to do what he wants.

I don't think we have every witnessed anything like this, typically even the legendary players are forced out if they are so clearly ineffective.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Crazy he's getting paid $25m to do it too.

College superstar

Even after missing 1/3 of his team's games, Kobe is on pace for -3.6 WS.

The worst in the last 40 years (roughly when they started keeping all the stats to calculate WS) is -1.6.

I mean he still isn't the worst player in the league. But he is close. And none of the others up for that award would EVER have the authority to shoot at the volume and efficiency as this. So his impact, as calculated by WS, is worse than the next two players in the history of the game COMBINED.

No, there have been 'worse' players in the NBA, the ones who only play the last minute of a blowout and otherwise get no playing time, or guys that come in and give you a solid 10-15 mins. They don't play primary roles on your team, and if they did, you'd probably see something to the effect or worse of what we're seeing with Kobe. In a nutshell, Kobe shouldn't be playing 30 mins, or taking 16 shots a night. He should be playing 15-20 tops, halving his shot attempts, and being a mentor to his younger teammates. What we're seeing right now borders on disrespecting the game.

Now if you want to talk about 'worst' in terms of his contract relative to performance, easily the least valuable player I've seen just within the context of this season.

Decent playground baller

Worst detriment, yes. There are less talented, but they don't play and therefore don't hurt the team as much.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HoopologyPhD
    He could quite honestly be the worst player in any major sport ever to be allowed the green light to do what he wants.

I don't think we have every witnessed anything like this, typically even the legendary players are forced out if they are so clearly ineffective.
    Something will have to give here. Either Bryant will be able to play himself into some semblance of a groove (even something on the south side of 40 percent shooting would probably suffice) or he's going to have to do a thing where he comes out and says he's decided to reduce his own role for the betterment of the team. I just can't see any way this carries on as is for an entire 82 game schedule.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Something will have to give here. Either Bryant will be able to play himself into some semblance of a groove (even something on the south side of 40 percent shooting would probably suffice) or he's going to have to do a thing where he comes out and says he's decided to reduce his own role for the betterment of the team. I just can't see any way this carries on as is for an entire 82 game schedule.

I'm confident Mitch WANTS the Lakers to end up with a top 3 pick and is just fine with Kobe doing whatever this is. If they end up with Ben Simmons and next year are able to get say RussWB in FA all of a sudden that traded #1 is worthless and they have cornerstones in place to get back to the top. If they end up winning 28 games and end up with the #5 pick they lose the pick and are in an even worse spot next year. the Lakers NEED their pick to be bottom 3 and find a way to attract some FAs.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    I'm confident Mitch WANTS the Lakers to end up with a top 3 pick and is just fine with Kobe doing whatever this is. If they end up with Ben Simmons and next year are able to get say RussWB in FA all of a sudden that traded #1 is worthless and they have cornerstones in place to get back to the top. If they end up winning 28 games and end up with the #5 pick they lose the pick and are in an even worse spot next year. the Lakers NEED their pick to be bottom 3 and find a way to attract some FAs.

Just noticed this huh?