Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RP 4 lyfe

Default Re: How long until China overtakes the US as the World Economic Power?

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo

go visit China sometime. they are light years away. they will never control the world, they don't have it in them.

we already owe china in the billions(amount is increasing every year).

never say never

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey

we already owe china in the billions(amount is increasing every year).

never say never
    I'm saying never...and I do a lot of business in China.

Where in China?

RP 4 lyfe

china wont control the world. but i see china catching up to us very quickly. just compare the dollars value to the chinese yuan from 06 to 08

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
    china wont control the world. but i see china catching up to us very quickly. just compare the dollars value to the chinese yuan from 06 to 08
    currency speculation means nothing. especially when comparing the RenMinBi (yuan simply means money in Chinese, their currency's name is RenMinBi) to the dollar as the Chinese gov't heavily regulates it.

all the fear about China is unwarranted.

-First and foremost the Chinese have no desire to control the world, just their own interests.
    -Secondly, you can't control the world when more than a billion people in your country live in poverty.
    -Thirdly, around 50% of all these Chinese imports that flood the US that the Chinese are supposedly getting rich off are actually products from American companies, and the money is finding its way back to Americans.
    -Fourthly, powerful Chinese invest heavily in US stock markets because they see it as stable, they would have no interest in destabilizing it.
    -Fifthly, it is in the US gov't's interest to give their citizenry a healthy dose of fear and suspicion towards the Chinese as issues like Tibet and Taiwan or more importantly control of major Asian shipping channels may bring the two countries to a head someday, and with this in mind the US gov't will always cast aspersions on their potential foes to occupy the minds of the simple minded majority.

A simple tariff increase on Chinese goods entering the US would have a catastrophic effect to the Chinese economy, and while it would also damage the huge investments US interests have made in China, it is always there to be used as a last resort.

Local High School Star Back In Shape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALBballer
    Wasn't Japan supposed to take over the US economically. Look how that turned out.
    It's true. All those people in the 80s who forced themselves and even their children to speak Japanese probably feel pretty stupid right now. They should have learned Spanish for sure, and Mandarin or even Russian. America was convinced that Japan would be close to controlling the US by now.

College star

could these recent disturbances in tibet and around the world against China be a product of US and world foes against China? i dont know, it just seems like its a perfect timing to bring down or attack China. They had 6-7 years to do something but only recently did this whole tibet and world rioting against China start. I dont know. It seems that the world understands where China is heading and its dominance emerging so maybe this is a move to affect it a little?

Good college starter

China phobia is just stupid as the person 2 posts above already pointed out.

China is completely economically driven right now and has no interest in seeing us fail. They have invested heavily in our economy and our government simply couldn't pay the bills without their bonds. If they were to stop buying our bonds or even worse dump the current ones they have on the market they would make us bankrupt, but unlike it seems most American citizens who think the world is us vs. them, China knows the world economy is not zero-sum. American companies keep Chinese people employed.

Also, it's funny how people are always making China out to be some evil empire. There have been a lot of problems with the products because of local corruption, but its not like the Chinese are trying to cripple us with bad products. The government is trying hard to crack down on these things, but the fact is a country that is producing such an enormous amount of stuff is bound to have problems slip through the cracks, especially with a rapidly changing economic system and regulations.

Local High School Star The Answer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas

in a few decades?

How about they are more powerful right now.
    False.

GDP (purchasing power parity):

United States: $13.86 trillion (2007 estimate)
    China: $7.043 trillion (2007 estimate)

GDP per capita:

United States: $46,000 (2007 estimate)
    China: $5,300 (2007 estimate)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ch.html

Local High School Star The Answer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALBballer
    Wasn't Japan supposed to take over the US economically. Look how that turned out.
    That's different. There's an obvious correlation between the size of a nation's population and the size of it's economy. Take India, for instance. Despite the fact that the average Indian lives in terrible poverty, the Indian economy is one of the five largest in the world. It is even larger than the economies of wealthy European powers like France, the United Kingdom, and Germany.

China has four times the population of the United States, and has already surpassed the Japanese economy. In fact, they now have the second largest economy in the world (not counting the European Union, of course). They are growing by double digit growth rates each year. It is an inescapable fact that the Chinese economy will eventually surpass the United States.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

They might be economically bigger but they'll still be poor as fcuk. They have 2 billion people, those 2billion need jobs so they work in factories and they make all of our stuff today. They will never have any power..........

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    They might be economically bigger but they'll still be poor as fcuk. They have 2 billion people, those 2billion need jobs so they work in factories and they make all of our stuff today. They will never have any power..........
    China will definitely be the most powerful country in the world soon barring some major internal problems but it looks like their government is changing smoothly. There is no way to say they will be less powerful than us.

That is pretty unimportant, if I got to choose where I was born I'd live in a less powerful country like France Spain or Italy where people work a lot less than American or Chinese. Seriously it doesn't matter who's on top I don't know why people care how powerful their country is as long as the world's stable. I trust China as much as I trust the USA.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

8 years later and China's economy has slowed down while the U.S. bounced back from the Great recession and still has the strongest military in the world by far.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    How long until China overtakes the US as the World Economic Power?
    not gonna happen.

china tried to modernise too quickly and now it's catching up with them. they hit a peak at a certain point, and threatened to take the lead, but just below the surface of all that, they have oodles of problems, and i mean OODLES.

they have so many deep issues that i'm more scared of their collapse than probably any other significant player, like the EU. when they do collapse, i naturally assume that they take down the world economy hard.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    8 years later and China's economy has slowed down while the U.S. bounced back from the Great recession and still has the strongest military in the world by far.
    China's bubble will burst because they've mismanaged their boom. They will also start to have a huge middle class population who won't do jobs at slave labour wages. Considering the economy is pretty much made up of worker exploitation and manipulating the currency I see China backsliding.

However America is looking at hyper inflation in the next 10/20 years as we move away from the Petrodollar as the dominant oil currency. If America moves back to a free market economy you'll bounce back much faster. We'll see how your politicians respond to trillions of dollars flooding back into the States though. It might be used as an excuse to have a massive power grab which would be a real shame.

Corporatism is really destroying the West. It needs to go.