Default [Discussion] Lakers the #3 Seed...lol.

If the Lakers were in the East, they would be the #3 seed RIGHT NOW tonight.
    Oh, but NO, we are in the West, meaning that we are tied for the 9th seed The East is an embarrassment with only 2 teams more than 1 game over .500

Maybe the NBA should do the NCAA thing and have "At Large" teams so some of the West teams who don't make the playoffs take the spots of some crappy below .500 East teams.

No I am not serious about the last part, just having some fun

Home of the 16

Default Re: Lakers the #3 Seed...lol.

DK, would you consider this time -- the weakest era?

& has the game really evolved to where Michael Beasley would be playing at 4 & height never really matters anymore. I know that height doesn't matter as long as you have the talent to go with it, but I see a lot of teams playing small ball now. I see 6'8 or 6'7 rookies registered as PF.

Back then, the standard/common height for a PF would be 6'9-7'0 & 85% of them were stretch 4's; but like I said earlier, you would have to be a freak like Rodman to be able to pull that off (6'7 freak). Is it all because of teams just playing small ball, or there's just not players developed like that anymore? And did Shaq have something to do with that? & is it because of him, teams were signing a defensive-minded player, or 7 footers that's just able to keep up with him, but not contain him? & now with him gone, 7 footers aren't even important anymore. & this goes to Centers playing the post & Stretch 4's that can hit 3-pointers.

Back then, the league was flooded, with Robert Horry's, Rasheed Wallace's & Pat Garrity's, & now it's down to 2 or 3, from the top of my head -- Kevin Love, Gallinari, & Bargnani? & for dominant post players, there's really none, unless you consider Timmy, dominant. I feel like Lebron has something to do with teams playing small ball. Cleveland used to play him at SF, sometimes at 4, but with Miami & their lineup & their lack of height, they're taking advantage of Lebron's skillset & playing him at PF at times, or depending on who they're going against. & that's forcing teams to play small, they're settling for Lebron & the Heat.

They say the mid-range is the lost art of the NBA, but really -- it's the post-players. Would you consider this evolving? or downgrading?

I think this is more of a confirmation, than a question.
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 11-30-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    DK, would you consider this time -- the weakest era?

& has the game really evolved to where Michael Beasley would be playing at 4 & height never really matters anymore. I know that height doesn't matter as long as you have the talent to go with it, but I see a lot of teams playing small ball now. I see 6'8 or 6'7 rookies registered as PF.

Back then, the standard/common height for a PF would be 6'9-7'0 & 85% of them were stretch 4's; but like I said earlier, you would have to be a freak like Rodman to be able to pull that off (6'7 freak). Is it all because of teams just playing small ball, or there's just not players developed like that anymore? And did Shaq have something to do with that? & is it because of him, teams were signing a defensive-minded player, or 7 footers that's just able to keep up with him, but not contain him? & now with him gone, 7 footers aren't even important anymore. & this goes to Centers playing the post & Stretch 4's that can hit 3-pointers.

Back then, the league was flooded, with Robert Horry's, Rasheed Wallace's & Pat Garrity's, & now it's down to 2 or 3, from the top of my head -- Kevin Love, Gallinari, & Bargnani? & for dominant post players, there's really none, unless you consider Timmy, dominant. I feel like Lebron has something to do with teams playing small ball. Cleveland used to play him at SF, sometimes at 4, but with Miami & their lineup & their lack of height, they're taking advantage of Lebron's skillset & playing him at PF at times, or depending on who they're going against. & that's forcing teams to play small, they're settling for Lebron & the Heat.

They say the mid-range is the lost art of the NBA, but really -- it's the post-players. Would you consider this evolving? or downgrading?

I think this is more of a confirmation, than a question.
    Yes, this IS a horribly weak era.....in some ways, it has become what Pro football would be if you made them play flag football and gave a team more points for a field goal than a touchdown. For an old school guy like me, it has become hard to watch.

This whole thing is the path that started when the 3pt line was introduced, it changed the game completely, it negated the need to take high percentage shots in the paint and therefore as new coaches came in who weren't tied to old school basketball, began to eliminate the need for a PF and even a C.....or if you went after those spots, it became "IN" to go for those who could shoot 3's. The league itself dictated the changes in the game to eliminate the post game by changing all the rules. They eliminated hard fouls by calling them flagrant, ejecting players, fining players, suspending guys for things that weren't even called fouls before. They created a rule "5 second, back to the basket" preventing big men from slowly backing the defender down into the post.....seriously, WTF? A guy can show off his dribbles for 20 seconds at the top without doing squat but you put a time limit on big men?
    They added the arc in the paint to deter big men defensively.
    Meanwhile they eliminated hand checking so that outside shooters could just jack up shots freely.

Why was this done? One word......MARKETING. David Stern wanted the game to be more flashy, and post play is NOT flashy. He wanted to grow the game globally, and what better way to do this than to bring in more Euro players who at large, couldn't handle the physical NBA play, especially their PFs and Centers.....so if you change the rules and style of play now they become of value. If a Dirk or Pau were playing in the earlier eras, they wouldn't make it, they would get beat up and run home. I could go on and on about all of this.....I have been around as an adult to witness all the changes and strategies. In writing this, I am reminded of a truly phenomenal player that came to the U.S. after his prime and still played years of great basketball, and had he come to the NBA when he was young would've been known by everyone, I'm talking about Arvydas Sabonis. I haven't checked YouTube to see if there are any videos of him young or not but dude had it all!!!

Did the NBA need the 3pt line to score points or to play uptempo basketball?
    Absolutely NOT:

The 1981-82 Showtime Lakers Made only 13 3's the entire season ,
    They took the fewest 3pt attempts with a mere 94,
    They shot a league low 3pt% with .138%
    They were the worst free throw shooting team in the league .717%
    3rd fewest FT attempts???

Yet they were 2nd in the league in scoring, averaging 110 points per game.

I guess I should mention the won the NBA Championship that season

Not to mention they were 12-2 in the post season.

Greatness? Kobe has made more 3 pointers than Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kareem Combined. The 3pt line was merely a marketing tool.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: [Discussion] Lakers the #3 Seed...lol.

DK, there's more to it than just the 3 point line. There were less teams in the league back then too. Adding in just a couple teams really waters down the competition. It makes for an overall weaker product.

Wow. Only 2 teams over 500 in the East. This is a huge problem for nba ratings and even marketing the road to the playoffs. Hard to convince myself to care much about nba games if this is how uneven the two conferences are.. It has been an issue for 6-7 years now since the Pistons fell out of the picture, and it seems to be getting worse..

Somebody yell at me. Tell me to shutup and explain why I'm wrong. Why is the uneven conferences not a massive blackhole for nba and the fans of nba??

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    DK, there's more to it than just the 3 point line. There were less teams in the league back then too. Adding in just a couple teams really waters down the competition. It makes for an overall weaker product.

You are absolutely right, It was the first thing I was going to say but got distracted by a call. It bugged me because I knew there was something I left out but didn't have the time to re-read. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Wow. Only 2 teams over 500 in the East. This is a huge problem for nba ratings and even marketing the road to the playoffs. Hard to convince myself to care much about nba games if this is how uneven the two conferences are.. It has been an issue for 6-7 years now since the Pistons fell out of the picture, and it seems to be getting worse..

Somebody yell at me. Tell me to shutup and explain why I'm wrong. Why is the uneven conferences not a massive blackhole for nba and the fans of nba??
    Let me yell at you right now......................YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!!!!!
    It's a freaking joke isn't it. Well, they let the Heat happen so they have to live with it now. Can you imagine if the Pacers didn't put their team together?

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Yes, this IS a horribly weak era.....in some ways, it has become what Pro football would be if you made them play flag football and gave a team more points for a field goal than a touchdown. For an old school guy like me, it has become hard to watch.

This whole thing is the path that started when the 3pt line was introduced, it changed the game completely, it negated the need to take high percentage shots in the paint and therefore as new coaches came in who weren't tied to old school basketball, began to eliminate the need for a PF and even a C.....or if you went after those spots, it became "IN" to go for those who could shoot 3's. The league itself dictated the changes in the game to eliminate the post game by changing all the rules. They eliminated hard fouls by calling them flagrant, ejecting players, fining players, suspending guys for things that weren't even called fouls before. They created a rule "5 second, back to the basket" preventing big men from slowly backing the defender down into the post.....seriously, WTF? A guy can show off his dribbles for 20 seconds at the top without doing squat but you put a time limit on big men?
    They added the arc in the paint to deter big men defensively.
    Meanwhile they eliminated hand checking so that outside shooters could just jack up shots freely.

Why was this done? One word......MARKETING. David Stern wanted the game to be more flashy, and post play is NOT flashy. He wanted to grow the game globally, and what better way to do this than to bring in more Euro players who at large, couldn't handle the physical NBA play, especially their PFs and Centers.....so if you change the rules and style of play now they become of value. If a Dirk or Pau were playing in the earlier eras, they wouldn't make it, they would get beat up and run home. I could go on and on about all of this.....I have been around as an adult to witness all the changes and strategies. In writing this, I am reminded of a truly phenomenal player that came to the U.S. after his prime and still played years of great basketball, and had he come to the NBA when he was young would've been known by everyone, I'm talking about Arvydas Sabonis. I haven't checked YouTube to see if there are any videos of him young or not but dude had it all!!!

Did the NBA need the 3pt line to score points or to play uptempo basketball?
    Absolutely NOT:

The 1981-82 Showtime Lakers Made only 13 3's the entire season ,
    They took the fewest 3pt attempts with a mere 94,
    They shot a league low 3pt% with .138%
    They were the worst free throw shooting team in the league .717%
    3rd fewest FT attempts???

Yet they were 2nd in the league in scoring, averaging 110 points per game.

I guess I should mention the won the NBA Championship that season

Not to mention they were 12-2 in the post season.

Greatness? Kobe has made more 3 pointers than Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kareem Combined. The 3pt line was merely a marketing tool.
    You made some valid points but I just hated the way they allowed guys like Charles Barkley dribbled atleast 8 times to back down his defender while his teammates lurk in the perimeter. ahh, stagnant offense etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    You made some valid points but I just hated the way they allowed guys like Charles Barkley dribbled atleast 8 times to back down his defender while his teammates lurk in the perimeter. ahh, stagnant offense etc.
    I get you on that point......but the way I look at it, you have a 24 second shot clock and there shouldn't be any rule as to what you do with it on your own time. If you think that was bad......I remember when they didn't have a shot clock in college

Ok, I couldn't remember what year they finally added the shot clock so I looked it up, it was 1985-86 and it was a 45 second clock.
    LMAO that in 1973 a team stalled the ball so bad the final score was 11-6 Tennessee over Temple. Seriously it was so bad that some underdogs would stall for as many as 10 minutes at a time and this stalling actually led to major upsets, even in championship games. So if you think Barkley bored you....lol.

I get you on that point......but the way I look at it, you have a 24 second shot clock and there shouldn't be any rule as to what you do with it on your own time. If you think that was bad......I remember when they didn't have a shot clock in college

Ok, I couldn't remember what year they finally added the shot clock so I looked it up, it was 1985-86 and it was a 45 second clock.
    LMAO that in 1973 a team stalled the ball so bad the final score was 11-6 Tennessee over Temple. Seriously it was so bad that some underdogs would stall for as many as 10 minutes at a time and this stalling actually led to major upsets, even in championship games. So if you think Barkley bored you....lol.
    so in essence, you are telling me to quit whining on the spoiled meat bec they were crap the decade before?

so in essence, you are telling me to quit whining on the spoiled meat bec they were crap the decade before?

Ok....you got me on that one
    But seriously, I completely get why you didn't like the backing down style.
    I just don't think the league should interfere in the game to dictate what a team does with their 24 seconds. I don't ever want to see teams jack up shots 'Antoni style in 9 seconds over and over again but don't think there should be any rule against it......just seems like too much tampering with the integrity of the game.........would Stern actually tamper with the game?

Ok....you got me on that one
    But seriously, I completely get why you didn't like the backing down style.
    I just don't think the league should interfere in the game to dictate what a team does with their 24 seconds
    . I don't ever want to see teams jack up shots 'Antoni style in 9 seconds over and over again but don't think there should be any rule against it......just seems like too much tampering with the integrity of the game.........would Stern actually tamper with the game?
    But can't teams use zone defenses to counter-act that backing down style?
    Isn't that what they league did? Allow teams to use certain defensive strategies instead of outlawing the zone which strapped teams without dominant huge guys and one on one players?
    I agree that the league has kinda cuddled smaller players allowing almost no contact at all but I also like more ball movement etc.
    I strongly believe that past 2-3 years that that the league has eased up a bit on those ultra quick whistles. Guys like Rose, Durant, Kevin Martin, Brooks, Wade etc have taken considerably less FTs as compared to 4+ yrs ago.

But can't teams use zone defenses to counter-act that backing down style?
    Isn't that what they league did? Allow teams to use certain defensive strategies instead of outlawing the zone which strapped teams without dominant huge guys and one on one players?
    I agree that the league has kinda cuddled smaller players allowing almost no contact at all but I also like more ball movement etc.
    I strongly believe that past 2-3 years that that the league has eased up a bit on those ultra quick whistles. Guys like Rose, Durant, Kevin Martin, Brooks, Wade etc have taken considerably less FTs as compared to 4+ yrs ago.
    Again....ball movement is great, but if it was the most effective for every team then why would teams ever have backed it down into the post?
    There is no rule to how many passes you can throw, no rule on how long 1 guy can dribble without passing..... no, moves have been done to make the game more globally appealing aka Euro Ball friendly....orchestrated by Stern.

Stern would like to have a foreign team in the NBA, a move I view as terrible...what do you and others think?

Do you think any rules should ever be implemented that tell a coach what to do with his 24 seconds?

For my tastes, I liked the game better in the past than I do now.....and I hate the style the Lakers play now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...e-of-divisions

The League is considering getting rid of divisions in favor of the top 16 getting in regardless of Division/Conference. As it stands now, a team in the east can put a crappy low budget team together and still make the playoffs........this may soon change.