Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pau won't take a pay cut to stay with Lakers

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ith-the-lakers

[Quote]In the interest of the Lakers maximizing their financial flexibility, would Gasol accept taking a significant paycut?

Default Re: Pau won't take a pay cut to stay with Lakers

Why is he nuts? Why would he ever take a paycut? This is a team that has approached dealing with him as a business. He was all but traded a few years ago and he has been in just about every trade rumor involving the Lakers. I don't think he is interested in doing any favors for the Lakers even if he would like to stay a Laker. This will be his final multi year deal.

NBA lottery pick

He said the right thing. I'm sure he knows he won't be making as much next time around, but you can't under sell yourself in the beginning of a contract year. There's no team that will give him 20 million. If he has a good season there might be a team that gives him 10. You've got to start at the top and work your way down in a negotiation. I'm not too worried about what he said. Plus there is a chance he could be traded still. I could also see the Lakers going after a guy like Greg Monroe too. They could offer him a max deal (like Cousins got). The Pistons may just match it though. It's all speculation until they start playing real games. If teams start not producing the way they anticipated we'll start seeing trade rumors.

Local High School Star

He will play well at the start of the season and get traded for young talent and pick(s). So the Lakers wont have to think about how much he will make in the next years.

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

Why would Gasol go on record and say he's willing to take a pay cut and kill his bargaining power for his next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by magictricked
    Why would Gasol go on record and say he's willing to take a pay cut and kill his bargaining power for his next contract.

What he should have said is "No Comment" or, my agent is handling that....or will handle the negotiations.

Maybe Pau is delusional and thinks he actually deserves to be in the top 10 in salaries.......ever consider that? (Pau is # 8 this season).
    The guy has been stealing money from the team for 3 years now with his overpaid, under producing game. I'm just calling it like it is. I like getting draft picks for he and Nash. ( No kk....I'm not agreeing with you )

Local High School Star

Why should he say "no comment" when all the other players in the NBA talk, twitter all the time?

you are right, he didnt play up to his talent the last 2 years. maybe it's age, maybe it's missing passion after 3 finals. i think it's a combination. But he isnt stealing anything. or is Kobe stealing money from the Lakers? allright, his work ethic is not up for debate like Pau's but he can work his but off and will never be the Kobe of 2006-2009. So he isnt worth the money. but teams know this and still give the player longterm deals because otherwise he would play for another team. Pau gave us 3 great years, thats a million times more than most players ever did. sure, we cant win another title with him as our best big, but thats life, its 2013 and not 2008.

no-one forces the Lakers to give him another big contract!!! trade his old ass, tell him thanks for the titles and let it go.

NBA lottery pick

I'm not mad at Pau at all. Without him the Lakers wouldn't have won those titles. I feel like he's still one of the best big men in the game. As long as he doesn't catch the injury bug this year I think his numbers will be much better too. There's no doubt about it, he will be making less in his next contract (where ever it may be). I just don't expect him to announce as much.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ith-the-lakers

Is he nuts??? We should look to trade him while we can get something for him.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
    Why should he say "no comment" when all the other players in the NBA talk, twitter all the time?

you are right, he didnt play up to his talent the last 2 years. maybe it's age, maybe it's missing passion after 3 finals. i think it's a combination. But he isnt stealing anything. or is Kobe stealing money from the Lakers? allright, his work ethic is not up for debate like Pau's but he can work his but off and will never be the Kobe of 2006-2009. So he isnt worth the money. but teams know this and still give the player longterm deals because otherwise he would play for another team. Pau gave us 3 great years, thats a million times more than most players ever did. sure, we cant win another title with him as our best big, but thats life, its 2013 and not 2008.

no-one forces the Lakers to give him another big contract!!! trade his old ass, tell him thanks for the titles and let it go.
    My opinion as an older man is that Twitter is complete garbage that doesn't help anyone, just makes people look bad, I just don't get it
    What did Pau really have to benefit by opening his mouth?
    Kobe is completely earning his money and always has and he is the guys putting fans in the seats, the guy who allowed the team to get the massive tv contract.....and even in a horrible year like last season, he is the guy who willed them into the playoffs......his money is beyond being questioned.
    As for Pau.....yes he has been stealing money for at least 2 years......he hasn't been remotely worth $19 million per year.....no way, no how.
    Pau, at his age and ability next season he will be overpaid if he gets a dime more than $9 million.
    Yeah, I agree with you that we should finally trade him and move on.

In fairness, I do give a ton of blame to the 2 coaches who had no clue as to how to use him.

Home of the 16

Lol @ you acting like the Lakers offered that contract to him 2 years ago.

2009 DKLaker, 2009. Remember 2009?

It is what it is. Let it go, you silly bitch.

Home of the 16

He earned that 19 million. Helped the Lakers win 2 rings, didn't he?

Stealing... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    He earned that 19 million. Helped the Lakers win 2 rings, didn't he?

Stealing... LOL
    The last 3 years......yes, stealing money without a doubt, beginning with him being a crybaby in the playoffs against Dallas because his girl dumped him.

My opinion is that since his skill, and most importantly his will have greatly diminished.....not to mention his health with age. He is a fool to think he shouldn't have to take a pay cut.....that is just common sense.

2009? Should the Bulls pay Jordan....Pippen and Rodman 25 million each to return???
    If the 3rd digit doesn't have a 1 in front of it there is no discussion of merit in the present day.....it's going to be 2014. Why not pay DFish 15 mil to return?

Now, the season is about to start, lets not ruin the board with childish name calling, no one wants to read that crap nor any back and forth on it.
    It is easy enough to give intelligent arguments without it.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    It is what it is. Let it go, you silly bitch.
    Dude, you're killing me! hahahahahaha