Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Local High School Star SunsN07BookIt's Avatar

Default Re: Overpriced shit at grocery stores

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Grapes, strawberries, green apples all overpriced.. I remember buying a decent sized bag of grapes for my little brother the other day and it came out to 8 bucks

Most grapes(this time of year), and strawberries come from California where labor and water costs have skyrocketed, especially with the drought. Even so, grapes were $.99 to $1.79 a pound at the grocery store when I was shopping on Sunday. Apples were about the same. Some guy said chicken breasts were $4.99 but I bought 3 packets at $1.99/lb, that didn't expire for 4 days, on Sunday too.

The thing is, these grocery stores sell stuff on special at or below cost, but then have to make it up some other way, and there counting on people coming in for the specials but then wanting the convenience of one stop shopping. If you jump around a little, you can get a grip of good food for cheap.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

[QUOTE=DukeDelonte13]I usually get 5 pound bags of wings and it usually works out to around 20

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Bake them. If you get the oven hot enough (425 or so) and turn them a few times during cooking you can get them as crispy as the fried ones in about 45 min. Or do them on the grill.

blasphemy!

I always dredge and fry wings. I like to make them just like how you get them at a bar. I might try this recipe though.

EDIT: i'm used to disappointing baked wings. Like you go to a potluck and they are always there, and always soggy and disappointing. Never as good as the real thing.
    Last edited by DukeDelonte13; 09-16-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    The oil winds up being more expensive than the wings.

I think it's like 10-13 for around a gallon of oil, but if you use it solely for wings and/or chicken you can reuse it a few times.

Frying wings is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Frying wings is retarded.

That's like saying grilling steaks is retarded or baking bread is retarded. That's how wings are made.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

I grill wings all the time.

I just marinate them in some hot-sauce and sprinkle on some of that McCormicks garlic-buffalo seasoning while grilling.

They taste just as good to me as the fried ones you get at the bar and are far healthier. (and cheaper)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13

That's like saying grilling steaks is retarded or baking bread is retarded. That's how wings are made.

The fried ones are good but I've had pretty good luck with grilling and baking. As long as you get them crisp it works.

Just wasted oil and flavor. Wings are already so fatty without even accounting for any sauce that 400-450 on a rack will fry them to a crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Just wasted oil and flavor. Wings are already so fatty without even accounting for any sauce that 400-450 on a rack will fry them to a crisp.

wings are traditionally fried. Frying adds flavor, IMO. I've never seen them baked at any restaurant or bar. People like to talk big game about their baked wings, but i've never had baked wings that were as good as fried. It's way easier and as i've said far less of a pain in the ass than frying but call me old-fashioned when it comes to my wings. My guests ALWAYS rave about my wings because they've never had homemade ones soooo good, cause so few people take the time to deep fry their own.

I don't care about healthiness because wings are an indulgence, so if i'm going to do them i'm going to go all the way, not half assed.

EDIT: I'm going to try these baking methods. I will put it to the test.

I think where a lot of people go wrong with the baked ones is 1. oven not hot enough 2. they don't turn them so they crisp on all sides 3. They put sauce on them too soon. The sauce should be at the end so they don't get soggy.

wings are traditionally fried. Frying adds flavor, IMO. I've never seen them baked at any restaurant or bar. People like to talk big game about their baked wings, but i've never had baked wings that were as good as fried. It's way easier and as i've said far less of a pain in the ass than frying but call me old-fashioned when it comes to my wings. My guests ALWAYS rave about my wings because they've never had homemade ones soooo good, cause so few people take the time to deep fry their own.

I don't care about healthiness because wings are an indulgence, so if i'm going to do them i'm going to go all the way, not half assed.

EDIT: I'm going to try these baking methods. I will put it to the test.
    If your oven is hot enough it's no different than frying them because there's already so much fat in them and you're not mudding up the flavor of the wing with peanut oil or whatever you're using.

And of course, toss in sauce at the end.

NBA Superstar

lol there is a reason why every serious wing place fries their wings. its the batter plus the crispyness then applying the buffalo sauce that makes buffallo wings buffalo wings. clearly some of you don't know bar food well.

baked wings are usually bad, can be decent at best but nowhere near fried. grilled can be good but still don't touch fried wings if we're talking buffalo wings.

baked is a milliion times easier than frying. if u could make baked wings that good then every bar/restaurant would bake them, but they all fry them. grilled wings can sometimes come close, especially if they're smoked and stuff but on average legit buffalo wings SHOULD be fried.

health-conscious people have bad tastes anyways

NBA rookie of the year

I think it's like 10-13 for around a gallon of oil, but if you use it solely for wings and/or chicken you can reuse it a few times.
    I reuse chicken grease one time, maybe two if I am all out of fresh grease. Just make sure you strain that shat to keep the crud out.

Y'all are making me hungry.