Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Default Is this offseason a make or break for the Cavs?

Only Lebron,Kyrie, and Mozgov are in place.
    Big decisions to be made on TT, JR., Love , Delly, Shump.
    I would only resign TT and Love. Maybe Shump if its under 5 mil per and Delly at under 3mil per.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Is this offseason a make or break for the Cavs?

Quote Originally Posted by Duderonomy
    Only Lebron,Kyrie, and Mozgov are in place.
    Big decisions to be made on TT, JR., Love , Delly, Shump.
    I would only resign TT and Love. Maybe Shump if its under 5 mil per and Delly at under 3mil per.
    They should re-sign everyone.

They're going to be way over the cap anyway. If they let JR Smith walk, it doesn't help us get better in free agency. We'll be in exactly the same financial situation, except minus one of our best shooters and a guy who is a really good 4th/5th option.

Shump should absolutely be re-signed and he will likely get in the $7 million range.

Banned

Lebron hard at work

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    They should re-sign everyone.

They're going to be way over the cap anyway. If they let JR Smith walk, it doesn't help us get better in free agency. We'll be in exactly the same financial situation, except minus one of our best shooters and a guy who is a really good 4th/5th option.

Shump should absolutely be re-signed and he will likely get in the $7 million range.
    i feel like some cavs fan has to make this post every single day

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i feel like some cavs fan has to make this post every single day
    Right?

Banned

NBA has a soft cap, right? How harsh is the luxury tax?

Right?
    But if Lebron is so good shouldn't he be able to make role players better ? Hence why overpay for them. Andy V is $10 mil of basically dead money. Paying JR and Shump $8mil each could be just as hazardous . Couldn't a shooter be found with the 24th pick?

But if Lebron is so good shouldn't he be able to make role players better ? Hence why overpay for them. Andy V is $10 mil of basically dead money. Paying JR and Shump $8mil each could be just as hazardous . Couldn't a shooter be found with the 24th pick?
    Maybe... but why would re-signing all of these guys prohibit us from taking said shooter at 24?

Again, you don't seem to understand the situation. The Cavs are going to be over the cap. Period. There is no getting around it.

The only real reason to let guys walk when you are in championship or bust mode is to use the money freed up by their contracts to pursue other players deemed more important to that end. Letting JR, Shump or whoever else walk will do nothing except maybe get us under the luxury tax. It will do nothing in terms of our ability to make the team better... and some franchises have let guys walk because they didn't want to pay the tax. That has never been Dan Gilbert's MO.

He'll pay all of these guys, because at the end of the day we are still going to have the same options -- the #24 pick, Haywood's contract, the mini-MLE, etc. -- by signing TT, Shump, JR, Delly, etc., as we would if we let them walk.

So, essentially, you are saying we shouldn't re-sign them for the principle of the matter? Other than giving a damn about Dan Gilbert's payroll (he clearly doesn't)... I don't see why anyone would promote the idea that it is a good idea to watch these guys walk out the door.

The first priority this offseason should be to re-sign Love, and then TT. After that, get Shump and JR under contract. I'd guess Delly will also get a new deal.

shhhhhhh

Maybe... but why would re-signing all of these guys prohibit us from taking said shooter at 24?

Again, you don't seem to understand the situation. The Cavs are going to be over the cap. Period. There is no getting around it.

The only real reason to let guys walk when you are in championship or bust mode is to use the money freed up by their contracts to pursue other players deemed more important to that end. Letting JR, Shump or whoever else walk will do nothing except maybe get us under the luxury tax. It will do nothing in terms of our ability to make the team better... and some franchises have let guys walk because they didn't want to pay the tax. That has never been Dan Gilbert's MO.

He'll pay all of these guys, because at the end of the day we are still going to have the same options -- the #24 pick, Haywood's contract, the mini-MLE, etc. -- by signing TT, Shump, JR, Delly, etc., as we would if we let them walk.

So, essentially, you are saying we shouldn't re-sign them for the principle of the matter? Other than giving a damn about Dan Gilbert's payroll (he clearly doesn't)... I don't see why anyone would promote the idea that it is a good idea to watch these guys walk out the door.

The first priority this offseason should be to re-sign Love, and then TT. After that, get Shump and JR under contract. I'd guess Delly will also get a new deal.
    Good post answered a couple questions I was going to ask about the Cavs financials...

Understand there's a bunch on this site that have no clue how the CBA works so you get tons of posts with ideas that can't even happen

And I agree, the Cavs have to re-sign as many as they can... You can't replace Love or any of the better players in the free market this season

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Good post answered a couple questions I was going to ask about the Cavs financials...

Understand there's a bunch on this site that have no clue how the CBA works so you get tons of posts with ideas that can't even happen

And I agree, the Cavs have to re-sign as many as they can... You can't replace Love or any of the better players in the free market this season
    Yeah, I get that. And I try not to be condescending about it. The CBA can get very complicated, especially for people who are fans of teams either under or right at the cap. That is the situation with most teams in the league.

For those teams and those fans, yes... it might make sense to see JR or Shump as luxuries not worth paying. But, the Cavs are probably going to have the highest payroll in NBA history next season. We are in a totally different situation.

When your payroll gets that high, there are very few avenues to getting the team better. The clearest and easiest is to first get all of your pieces back, because the CBA allows for teams to go way over the cap only if they're re-signing guys on your roster whose contracts have expired.

A guy like Iman Shumpert is relatively irreplaceable for us, because we're highly unlikely to get a player of his caliber by using Haywood/1st or by using the mini-MLE. So, he'd be an enormous loss. To a lesser extent JR is in the same situation with us. We really can't replace him.

The other thing is this... despite all of the injuries and not having two of the best players in the league, we were still just two wins away from winning a title. And that includes an overtime loss and another narrow defeat. We were close... really close, all things considered. And, I think fully healthy, we would have matched up extremely well with the Warriors.

So, with a healthier team (we're also getting Varejao back), why would you make any drastic changes to the rotation if you don't have to? It felt like -- prior to the injuries -- we were a championship team and, if we bring everyone back, on paper it looks like an even better team.

Yeah, I get that. And I try not to be condescending about it. The CBA can get very complicated, especially for people who are fans of teams either under or right at the cap. That is the situation with most teams in the league.

For those teams and those fans, yes... it might make sense to see JR or Shump as luxuries not worth paying. But, the Cavs are probably going to have the highest payroll in NBA history next season. We are in a totally different situation.

When your payroll gets that high, there are very few avenues to getting the team better. The clearest and easiest is to first get all of your pieces back, because the CBA allows for teams to go way over the cap only if they're re-signing guys on your roster whose contracts have expired.

A guy like Iman Shumpert is relatively irreplaceable for us, because we're highly unlikely to get a player of his caliber by using Haywood/1st or by using the mini-MLE. So, he'd be an enormous loss. To a lesser extent JR is in the same situation with us. We really can't replace him.
    I haven't dissected the cap numbers but Kyrie,Lebron,Love roughly 60mil. Andy another 10, TT 13-15. Thats 75 mil on 5 players. Mozgov is due for a pay raise as well. A very deep team, it's a good problem to have, an embarrassment of riches. I would be prepared to see someone walk. Shump is comparable to a young Trevor Ariza. Delly comparable to Barea after his final's run.

I haven't dissected the cap numbers but Kyrie,Lebron,Love roughly 60mil. Andy another 10, TT 13-15. Thats 75 mil on 5 players. Mozgov is due for a pay raise as well. A very deep team, it's a good problem to have, an embarrassment of riches. I would be prepared to see someone walk. Shump is comparable to a young Trevor Ariza. Delly comparable to Barea after his final's run.
    The question persists though... Why would you let someone walk? Yes, the team is going to be really good regardless of whether JR or Shump are on the roster. But we are a heck of a lot better with both of them back and we can't replace them on the open market. The only thing impacted by re-signing those guys is Dan Gilbert's wallet. It doesn't help us in any way to let them walk.

So, we have the opportunity to be a great team by just bringing Love and TT back, or an even greater team by bringing back Love, TT, Shump, JR and Delly. I will take the latter.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

The question persists though... Why would you let someone walk? Yes, the team is going to be really good regardless of whether JR or Shump are on the roster. But we are a heck of a lot better with both of them back and we can't replace them on the open market. The only thing impacted by re-signing those guys is Dan Gilbert's wallet. It doesn't help us in any way to let them walk.

So, we have the opportunity to be a great team by just bringing Love and TT back, or an even greater team by bringing back Love, TT, Shump, JR and Delly. I will take the latter.
    Bingo.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Too bad you guys couldn't have worked out something to get Batum. I thought he'd be on the block regardless...and he was. Can't believe the Blazers got back Vonleh for him though. Charlotte overpaid for him imo....giving up the number 9 pick like that and a solid player in Henderson for the real possibility of a 1 year rental for Batum. Don't like that much.

Sucks...would have been great for the Cavs to turn Haywood, 1st, and Joe Harris or something into Batum.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 06-25-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Ultimately they won't be able to keep Shump and JR. I believe they will keep Shumpert as he's only 25 and the perfect player for their system.

JR is 30 and is going to want 9 million over 3-4 years. I don't see JR giving a home discount when he's collecting checks.

they should go after someone else by giving up JR plus haywood.
    Signing love should be priority number 1 followed by getting a 3&D guy who can handle the ball atleast enough to bring it up the court without losing it.