Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MamaThereGoesThatMan EveryManALion's Avatar

Default Am I the only one who appreciates the Spurs more as you get older?

Started watched basketball again back in 2006 after a 10 year hiatus from when I was a kid, I HATED the Spurs. Now as I have grown to appreciate the smaller aspects of the games beyond dunks and clutch 3 pointers, I actually love watching the Spurs play. Anyone else have this progression over the years?

National High School Star

Default Re: Am I the only one who appreciates the Spurs more as you get older?

I mean they used to be more iso-heavy

Very good NBA starter

It's because you've seen all the dunks and the travels, I mean dribbles, so now you appreciate more the cerebral and simplistic fundamentals.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

I've always appreciated them. With the '04 Pistons, Spurs brought me back around to the NBA post-Jordan. Crazy that 11-12 years ago tonight, I was still rooting for the old 3.

No I still hate Parker and ginosbleed

Pop...the GOAT NBA coach.

Only Wooden was a greater coach.

Yea I definitely appreciate them a lot more as I get older... but I appreciate the game a lot more in general. I never played organized ball past age 11 so I didn't understand a lot of the nuances or the game and strategy. I couldn't stand the Spurs being a Lakers fan... nor anyone who wasn't the Lakers. I like the Spurs personality - the discipline, the matter of factness. It's an approach that is good for the long haul and hey what do you know they have been great for 2 decades.

Only Spurs and Warriors have a beautiful offense.

Made that high school varsity squad Goofsta Knicca's Avatar

Why Pop so serious?

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    Only Spurs and Warriors have a beautiful offense.
    Spurs offense is not even in the same league as the Warriors. Not nearly as potent or versatile. And they will be exposed if they expect Aldridge to carry them. Those perimeter guys will need to step up and hit those jumpshots to take pressure off of him because he's really not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Spurs offense is not even in the same league as the Warriors. Not nearly as potent or versatile. And they will be exposed if they expect Aldridge to carry them. Those perimeter guys will need to step up and hit those jumpshots to take pressure off of him because he's really not that good.
    Yeah but Spurs ball movement are still a league ahead of other teams

Me too, during all the 00s I hated Spurs, I root for Suns, Mavs, Grizz and even OKC in 2012 against them. I found them boring and with too few highlights

Since 2013 I got bored from chuckers and ISO basketball. Now I like advanced fundamentals and team play. So I appreciate Spurs and GSW.

The Spurs sure become more likeable with time passed. Back in the old days they were a boring defensive team, but now look at that amazing ball movement, its hard not to appreciate such feast unless you are a hater.

Very good NBA starter

the whole team only cares about winning. no selfish asses. i guess it's easy to take orders when your coach is pop. so their offense is constantly evolving.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    Yeah but Spurs ball movement are still a league ahead of other teams
    I'm looking at it from a "Can they win?" standpoint. Their offense doesn't seem like anything special right now. Don't know what everyone else is seeing. The Spurs seem to hope Aldridge comes up big but I think he will disappoint. He's soft and gets pushed off the block easily. He has no form or touch. And that's a big deal because the rest of the team is struggling to score. If they don'y start making jumpshots and take the pressure off Aldridge they will have no shot against Golden State.