Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213
    NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: World Cup: Group C (Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan)

Quote Originally Posted by kc16
    Why is it always the African country that gets it tough. Very bonehead penalty at the very end of the game, sucks for Ivory Coast but no excuse, this was their time and group. I'll still root for Nigeria especially and the rest of the African nations left but it seems that it will be a long time before a African country wins a World Cup.
    IDK. Nigeria got very lucky against Bosnia with the blown offsides call on Dzeko's disallowed goal and with the Nigerian goal be suspect as well.

The PK today was very weak but there was actually some contact.. Ivory Coast is the better team but they just blew it and aren't all there mentally.

Serious playground baller

Why is it always the African country that gets it tough. Very bonehead penalty at the very end of the game, sucks for Ivory Coast but no excuse, this was their time and group. I'll still root for Nigeria especially and the rest of the African nations left but it seems that it will be a long time before a African country wins a World Cup.
    I think Algeria has the best chance of achieving something this WC. It's their tactical discipline that other more talented african teams lack.

GiannisAntetokounmpo @G_ante34

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    IDK. Nigeria got very lucky against Bosnia with the blown offsides call on Dzeko's disallowed goal and with the Nigerian goal be suspect as well.

The PK today was very weak but there was actually some contact.. Ivory Coast is the better team but they just blew it and aren't all there mentally.
    True not gonna argue with that, though I still think we might have scored even if that goal by Dzeko counted. Our attack gave Bosnia's backline trouble.

To my first statement though, I meant as a whole including past tournaments Africa has disappointed. We have quality players but for some reason we do awful in world cups. Whether it's luck, corruption in our governments, egos, match fixing, or racism. Just wish African nations can find a way and do well when the lights shine.

Banned

James what a legend. American footballers are da bess

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    James what a legend.

Banned

James>Messi

True not gonna argue with that, though I still think we might have scored even if that goal by Dzeko counted. Our attack gave Bosnia's backline trouble.

To my first statement though, I meant as a whole including past tournaments Africa has disappointed. We have quality players but for some reason we do awful in world cups. Whether it's luck, corruption in our governments, egos, match fixing, or racism. Just wish African nations can find a way and do well when the lights shine.
    African teams have puzzling player selections as well. Nigeria, for example, left off Obafemi Martins while keeping Shola Ameobi on the roster. Keshi also said Bright Dike would have made the roster if he hadn't gotten injured. Dike is a career bench warmer in MLS while Martins is one of the best strikers. They also left off one of the top scorers in La Liga.

Ivory Coast left off Lacina Traore and Seydou Doumbia for Gio Sio. Ghana regularly plays mediocre players when the leave better ones at home. I think having players spread out through obscure leagues all over the world and not just in Europe makes it tough to gauge how in form some of these guys really are.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    African teams have puzzling player selections as well. Nigeria, for example, left off Obafemi Martins while keeping Shola Ameobi on the roster. Keshi also said Bright Dike would have made the roster if he hadn't gotten injured. Dike is a career bench warmer in MLS while Martins is one of the best strikers. They also left off one of the top scorers in La Liga.

Ivory Coast left off Lacina Traore and Seydou Doumbia for Gio Sio. Ghana regularly plays mediocre players when the leave better ones at home. I think having players spread out through obscure leagues all over the world and not just in Europe makes it tough to gauge how in form some of these guys really are.
    Yea that as well, I really wish we learn from other nations, unfortunately that is where the egos and corruption comes in.

I get what you're saying. Ivory Coast for example has twice the talent that Greece had today technically and in the final third but managed to blew it. Even when the game was 1-1 Ivory Coast was putting everyone to attack which made them vulnerable on the counter(there was like 1 defender back there lol) but they were fortunate that the Greek attackers can barely run without tripping over their own feet let alone actually striking a ball. Greece cannot score in open play unless if it's a header or if the opposition makes a mistake and unfortunate for Ivory Coast they did both of that today. Greece even had to waste two subs early on so there's no excuse why Ivory Coast got outworked by Greece and why Ivory Coast was looking dead late on..

However, Greece out classed Ivory Coast defensively and they have a very solid backline and are very disciplined defensively.

PS, really thought the Roma fullback(Tsorodis or w/e) is quality

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder

Yea, always was surprised about Bright Dike. I thought he was an impactful MLS sub and a borderline MLS starter(He's very strong) but at him being in the Nigerian NT.

But I think puzzling selections face every team. It's all about coach's preference and tactics really. For example Portugal didn't call up guys like Danny or Tiago. Capello benches all his technical players, etc.