Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Magic Johnson: No one is close to Michael

I still think Russell, Kareem, and Wilt are up there with him.

Jordan has the best combination as a talent, career, and player though... so I can see why he's above the 3, I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Yeah, but for one night, you open the door to many, many people that can play on a high enough level.

With Lebron, the question is... How badly does he want to dominate the league? Cause it's going to take more than just talent. What he was able to do this year, he won't be able to get away with going forward. At least not with the same success rate. He'll need to stay ahead of the curve. He'll need to compensate for when he loses half a step. He'll somehow need to shake off how happy he is now and act like he never won a thing.

We want to see how badly he wants to win now that he's already won. Excuses are a lot easier to make when you already have a ring. How long is that parade gonna last? Until next January?? Or is he back in the gym with something to prove the day after? He's already one of the greats. To be among the greatest of them, he still has some questions to answer.
    Yep, well said...

Thats one thing i loved the most about MJ, he wanted to dominate absolutely everything... all the time.. even if he didnt have a chance (3PT contest for example hehe)... all those young gun talents that came in he made sure to show them and everybody else who the boss is...
    Last edited by pauk; 06-23-2012 at 02:06 PM.

No one is close. But as for this generation Kobe is much closer than Lebron. He still has a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TMT
    No one is close. But as for this generation Kobe is much closer than Lebron. He still has a ways to go.
    Duncan is even closer (amongst the active players he is the most accomplished), but im sure a Kobe fan wouldnt agree with me

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Duncan is even closer (amongst the active players he is the most accomplished), but im sure a Kobe fan wouldnt agree with me
    He and Kobe are probably neck and neck.
    Just a tiny bit below would be Shaq.

Then everyone else.

NBA lottery pick

Jordan stands alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    who gives a shit because Magic Johnson said it.

Quote Originally Posted by TMT
    He and Kobe are probably neck and neck.
    Just a tiny bit below would be Shaq.

Then everyone else.
    4 x Championships as THE MAN
    3 x FMVP
    2 x MVP
    Rookie of the Year

vs

2 x Championships as THE MAN & 3 as a SIDEKICK (Shaq was "the man", no offense Kobe fans)
    2 x FMVP
    1 x MVP

Everything else is virtually identical with the 1st all-nba teams & 1st all-defensive team honors for example...

Wouldnt really say its neck and neck, close with Duncan being ahead, but not neck and neck.. but thats just me
    Last edited by pauk; 06-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.

What would it take for LeBron to be in a good argument against MJ?

How many more MVPs?
    How many more Championships? I'm assuming he would need to win at least 2 in a roll at some point, if not more.

Part of what carries the Jordan legacy is that you could argue at one point he was bigger than the sport. There were actually MJ only fans in the 90s. As in, people who didn't watch basketball until MJ, and only of MJ.

And he came in at the perfect time. His national (global?) dominance came right as the Magic-Bird era ended and right as the sport of basketball really started to spread, more so than the previous how many ever years.

Not to mention that his way of basketball was different. He changed the way the sport was played, for better or worse. What exactly can LeBron do in that department?

You bring all of that together along with that he was actually a truly great basketball player and winner... It's going to take more than talent to surpass him. You need a basketball player that comes in at a similar time to Jordan (perhaps one day the NBA makes a closer move on the NFL as the top USA sport), hope he is a unique breed of basketball player (something that somewhat changes the way the game is played), and hope he has all the intangibles and talent to take advantage of the situation.

Jordan is the GOAT in largely because of talent, but also timing.

National High School Star

cant stand when people put jordan on a pedestal...

i mean sure he's goat but lets not act like hes head and shoulders above nigggas... wilt, russ, duncan, kareem, magic, and even kobe have arguments to be close.

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    cant stand when people put jordan on a pedestal...

i mean sure he's goat but lets not act like hes head and shoulders above nigggas... wilt, russ, duncan, kareem, magic, and even kobe have arguments to be close.

Russell? yes... you could argue him being better than Jordan aswell... ive seen many decent arguments to why he should be #1...

Kareem? yes... very close, you could argue him being better than Jordan aswell... i wouldnt, but i know many who would...

Wilt? Close.. but not that close...

Magic? Close.. but not closer than the above..

Duncan? Not closer than the above...

Kobe? Not closer than the above....
    Last edited by pauk; 06-23-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    He was talking about career accomplishments.... in that sense he is right... nobody is close to Michael....

But in terms of talent, productions, impact, domination Lebron is the closest thing we have to MJ...
    What the **** are you saying Shaq Kareem Wilt Hakeem Duncan Magic Bird were all better players than Lebron probably a few more too David Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    What would it take for LeBron to be in a good argument against MJ?

How many more MVPs?
    How many more Championships? I'm assuming he would need to win at least 2 in a roll at some point, if not more.

Part of what carries the Jordan legacy is that you could argue at one point he was bigger than the sport. There were actually MJ only fans in the 90s. As in, people who didn't watch basketball until MJ, and only of MJ.

And he came in at the perfect time. His national (global?) dominance came right as the Magic-Bird era ended and right as the sport of basketball really started to spread, more so than the previous how many ever years.

Not to mention that his way of basketball was different. He changed the way the sport was played, for better or worse. What exactly can LeBron do in that department?

You bring all of that together along with that he was actually a truly great basketball player and winner... It's going to take more than talent to surpass him. You need a basketball player that comes in at a similar time to Jordan (perhaps one day the NBA makes a closer move on the NFL as the top USA sport), hope he is a unique breed of basketball player (something that somewhat changes the way the game is played), and hope he has all the intangibles and talent to take advantage of the situation.

Jordan is the GOAT in largely because of talent, but also timing.
    Lebron is just not as good as Jordan why can't people understand this so he would need more mvps and championships along with a lot more seasons at his current level like 8-10

Oh god.. not Ikill

Adbloock<3

Quote Originally Posted by QUIZZLE
    You sure you just said that?
    I actually agree with him on this one, LeBron as far as talent is top 3.