Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Basketball coaching discussion

We ran a pretty good rebounding drill we called "The Pit" in middle school. It was one-on-one, the defender would start in the paint, while another player would start at the foul line. A coach would intentionally miss a shot, and the defender had to box out his man for 3 bounces before he was allowed to go for the ball. If you lost the matchup, you had to face the next person until you won. It taught the little guys (me included ) how to be scrappy enough to keep the big men away from the ball, and brought out a little bit of nastiness in everyone too.

We started and ended every practice the same way. After stretching and light jogs, each member of the team would shoot two free throws. If you missed one, the whole team had to run the length of the floor and back. Missed two, you ran a suicide. Then the next person would step up. We had some real ***** coaching us too...on Tuesdays they'd laugh it up and call it "Two for Tuesdays" where the penalties became a suicide for one miss and two suicides for two misses. If someone referred to it as "basketball practice" and not "track practice" those days, they'd take every ball out of the gym and basically make us do running drills for the rest of night. In 8th grade, we had practice at 8:00 in the morning the day after Thanksgiving. The bathrooms had 4 stalls in them and at one point they were all occupied by vomiting teammates....with another using the garbage can and another using the sink. The coaches were pissed at that kid because the principal made one of them clean the sink by hand.

We went 15-1 and lost in the semis my 7th grade year and went undefeated my 8th grade year. We literally ran every other team out of the gym. And even though our coaches rode the shit out of us, we saw their system working and respected the hell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    We ran a pretty good rebounding drill we called "The Pit" in middle school. It was one-on-one, the defender would start in the paint, while another player would start at the foul line. A coach would intentionally miss a shot, and the defender had to box out his man for 3 bounces before he was allowed to go for the ball. If you lost the matchup, you had to face the next person until you won. It taught the little guys (me included ) how to be scrappy enough to keep the big men away from the ball, and brought out a little bit of nastiness in everyone too.

We started and ended every practice the same way. After stretching and light jogs, each member of the team would shoot two free throws. If you missed one, the whole team had to run the length of the floor and back. Missed two, you ran a suicide. Then the next person would step up. We had some real ***** coaching us too...on Tuesdays they'd laugh it up and call it "Two for Tuesdays" where the penalties became a suicide for one miss and two suicides for two misses. If someone referred to it as "basketball practice" and not "track practice" those days, they'd take every ball out of the gym and basically make us do running drills for the rest of night. In 8th grade, we had practice at 8:00 in the morning the day after Thanksgiving. The bathrooms had 4 stalls in them and at one point they were all occupied by vomiting teammates....with another using the garbage can and another using the sink. The coaches were pissed at that kid because the principal made one of them clean the sink by hand.

We went 15-1 and lost in the semis my 7th grade year and went undefeated my 8th grade year. We literally ran every other team out of the gym. And even though our coaches rode the shit out of us, we saw their system working and respected the hell out of them.
    wow, that sounds intense

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Funny how you seem to have a lot of people on here who claim to be able to give "expert" opinions in regards to basketball, cuz they supposedly played for this team of that team, in high school or college. Or supposed coached this team and that team in college, suddenly have nothing to say in a topic like this. Pretty much proving they were flat out lying to begin with, which is no real surprise.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by LakersReign
    Funny how you seem to have a lot of people on here who claim to be able to give "expert" opinions in regards to basketball, cuz they supposedly played for this team of that team, in high school or college. Or supposed coached this team and that team in college, suddenly have nothing to say in a topic like this. Pretty much proving they were flat out lying to begin with, which is no real surprise.
    Well, I'd be quick to say there's a lot of knowledge about basketball to be had out there, and it doesn't all contribute to one's ability to coach. Further, one's coaching ability is not always directly related to how much a person may know about all aspects of basketball. For instance, this site mostly seems to contain discussion about NBA basketball - who's better than who, who's getting traded where, how neat a dunk was the night before, who the 6th Man of the Year was in 1989. I love that aspect of basketball and I wouldn't hold it against folks if that's the basketball they knew while remaining relatively inexperienced in the coaching world.

Coaching, particularly below the college level, is a craft in itself. I felt very confident in my basketball knowledge when I began my coaching career. However, coaching seems to be equal parts basketball knowledge and teaching skills. So again, a truly knowledgeable basketball follower won't necessarily be a good coach by default. As I've picked up about eight years of mid-level (sub-college) coaching experience, I can now watch the rookie coaches making the same mistakes I did, in spite of their vast college playing experiences and whatnot. Basically, knowing about something is just half the battle. Conveying that knowledge in an effective manner is the tough part. I still consider myself rather unseasoned as a coach to this point. I've got a long way to go if I continue my path.

On top of everything else, this is a relatively broad thread topic, so I wouldn't expect everyone to come in and just begin spewing basketball strategy left and right. I'm sure if someone provides another jump start (ex: What kind of drills would you best suggest for in-season conditioning maintenance?) there'd be more and more contributions.

Speaking of which, truly, what drills do you guys suggest for in-season conditioning maintenance? My mini-Rip Hamilton-built little brother has somehow managed to gain bad weight over the course of his season this year. He must change his diet. However, I'm also thinking practices may be a little too lacking in proper conditioning. Anything you guys do to improve your player's stamina in the day or two they get in between games without wearing them out?
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-02-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Well, I'd be quick to say there's a lot of knowledge about basketball to be had out there, and it doesn't all contribute to one's ability to coach. Further, one's coaching ability is not always directly related to how much a person may know about all aspects of basketball. For instance, this site mostly seems to contain discussion about NBA basketball - who's better than who, who's getting traded where, how neat a dunk was the night before, who the 6th Man of the Year was in 1989. I love that aspect of basketball and I wouldn't hold it against folks if that's the basketball they knew while remaining relatively inexperienced in the coaching world.

Coaching, particularly below the college level, is a craft in itself. I felt very confident in my basketball knowledge when I began my coaching career. However, coaching seems to be equal parts basketball knowledge and teaching skills. So again, a truly knowledgeable basketball follower won't necessarily be a good coach by default. As I've picked up about eight years of mid-level (sub-college) coaching experience, I can now watch the rookie coaches making the same mistakes I did, in spite of their vast college playing experiences and whatnot. Basically, knowing about something is just half the battle. Conveying that knowledge in an effective manner is the tough part. I still consider myself rather unseasoned as a coach to this point. I've got a long way to go if I continue my path.

On top of everything else, this is a relatively broad thread topic, so I wouldn't expect everyone to come in and just begin spewing basketball strategy left and right. I'm sure if someone provides another jump start (ex: What kind of drills would you best suggest for in-season conditioning maintenance?) there'd be more and more contributions.

Speaking of which, truly, what drills do you guys suggest for in-season conditioning maintenance? My mini-Rip Hamilton-built little brother has somehow managed to gain bad weight over the course of his season this year. He must change his diet. However, I'm also thinking practices may be a little too lacking in proper conditioning. Anything you guys do to improve your player's stamina in the day or two they get in between games without wearing them out?

What I'm simply saying is, some posters on here like dmavs, and hurricanekid, who've been on here boasting about how they have some much supposed superior basketball knowledge, cuz they've supposedly coached or played either college or high school basketball. Now a topic like this is posted, and neither of them have even bothered to comment in it, while posting in other topics. So, it's not like they haven't seen this one, it's more like they're avoiding it for some reason. And that reason is most likely that they're lying about their supposed credentials in reference to basketball and don't want to post in this topic for fear of being exposed as a fraud. I have much respect for people that have the actual knowledge of the game, and zero respect for know nothing about anything internet geeks who have to come online and lie to make themselves look like big shots.

Coaching is a craft in itself. I consider myself incredibly knowledgable in the NBA, its history, and basketball strategy. That said, I always wish I had played on a school team for that full-time basketball atmosphere.

In the age 20-30 leagues I play in, I'm usually the best PG of the league. It's really fun to run a team. Unfortunately, it's an amateur league. It's not like there are daily practices. It's not even close to the same culture.

Still fun though. It's just not serious. Plus most basketball I've been able to play lately is just pick-up which is really hit or miss for good competition.

Banned

I haven't done a ton of practice plans this year, and I think that is part of the reason my team is having a tough time right now. We don't have the most efficient practices, usually when I don't have a plan.

How important do other coaches or players or whatever think having a practice plan minute-by-minute is?

Saw a basketball once

i was just wondering what kind of drills you guys ran for offense

Quote Originally Posted by skan72
    I haven't done a ton of practice plans this year, and I think that is part of the reason my team is having a tough time right now. We don't have the most efficient practices, usually when I don't have a plan.

How important do other coaches or players or whatever think having a practice plan minute-by-minute is?
    I think it's absolutely imperative to have not only a plan, but a backup for each practice.

Don't know how much practice time you have with your group, but to me it's never enough. I need to make sure that we maximize every minute of time together or I've cheated them out of the chance to perform at their best in game situations.

As so many have mentioned, there's a craft to the teaching side of coaching, knowing your players and having a feel for what works best with them on any given day. That's why I always have a backup plan going in as well. Some days you can sense that you don't have their fullest attention, or that something isn't clicking right (or is happening too easily) on the practice floor. That's where having that backup comes into play. It can really help to sharpen focus of both players and coaches when you can seamlessly shift gears and shake things up a bit. I find it brings new energy to the session.

Plan your work. Work your plan. Never mistake activity for achievement.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by skan72

JMT's pretty much on the money with this one. But I have to be forward and admit it's not something I've quite mastered as a coach, though I'm much further along in that regard than I was when I began.

To be bluntly honest, even though I'd played basketball my entire life and even though I'd played for numerous systems and played a part in many practices, in the beginning as a coach I'd sometimes draw a blank as to what I should do with my team. As such, I would often wing it. It actually didn't work out too poorly, but it's clear that was a sign of an inexperienced coach. I can pinpoint inexperienced coaches myself now by watching their hesitancy between drills. I know darn well they just made up the next drill on the spot.

Anyway, I believe in having a plan but I also believe in being flexible (which may have been another way of saying to have a backup plan like JMT said). There actually was a fair amount of good to come out of my "wing it" approach in the respect that I was throwing out what I thought we needed at that point. So it's always good to have that ability. However, always good to lay down an initial plan. Not necessarily typed and proof-read. Just something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    JMT's pretty much on the money with this one. But I have to be forward and admit it's not something I've quite mastered as a coach, though I'm much further along in that regard than I was when I began.

To be bluntly honest, even though I'd played basketball my entire life and even though I'd played for numerous systems and played a part in many practices, in the beginning as a coach I'd sometimes draw a blank as to what I should do with my team. As such, I would often wing it. It actually didn't work out too poorly, but it's clear that was a sign of an inexperienced coach. I can pinpoint inexperienced coaches myself now by watching their hesitancy between drills. I know darn well they just made up the next drill on the spot.

Anyway, I believe in having a plan but I also believe in being flexible (which may have been another way of saying to have a backup plan like JMT said). There actually was a fair amount of good to come out of my "wing it" approach in the respect that I was throwing out what I thought we needed at that point. So it's always good to have that ability. However, always good to lay down an initial plan. Not necessarily typed and proof-read. Just something.
    This post squarely hits on where I'm at in this stage of my career. I'm currently still in college but "volunteering" at the high school my dad is a current assistant coach. He was the head coach there and another school for about 15 years before calling it quits. Then the school had to make some budget cuts and, unfortunately for the head-coach at the time who had only been there one year, was one of the faculty members they had to let go. So, they got my dad and an assistant football coach who used to be the junior high coach at the same time my dad was the senior high coach to take takeover. Anyway, since I want to be a coach they've let me come to practices when I can, and sit on the bench for games.

Moving on...the current head-coach is actually a very knowledgeable guy who really knows basketball. However, like at a lot of small schools (in Arkansas anyway) he has multiple coaching jobs. In the fall he's an assistant football coach and in the spring he's the head softball and junior high track coach. Meaning he coaches year round. I've noticed that at most practices he more or less "wings" it and the practices and players have seemed to struggle during games because of it. Comparatively speaking, this school has had the most talented team in the conference, and one of the two most talented teams in the region. Each year I feel neither team has ever fully lived up to its potential. They have won the regular conference championship by going 11-1. Last year, they lost in the district tournament finals which is just a conference postseason tournament, and lost in the regional tournament semi-finals. One of the reasons we lost in the district finals last year is because we were playing the second best team in the conference who just happened to also be the host school. We had a 16 point 3rd quarter lead and crumbled, losing by four.

This year, we rolled through the regular season again but lost in the district semi-finals by one in 2OT, to the host school. It didn't help that our 6'6" starting center got sick the day of the game and didn't play. But that's a bunch of excuses. I feel if we were adequately prepared we still should have won the district tournament and probably the regional tournament each of the last two seasons. We coasted through the regular season mostly because we were simply the most talented team. Instead of beating the bottom half of the league by 20-30 like we should have, we normally beat them by 10-20, and instead of beating the upper half of the league by 7-10, we normally squeaked out wins at home and on the road. We never worked on important things like late-game special situations, running offensive sets for repetition purposes, etc. and it usually showed in games as we would let early 4th quarter double-digit leads (even against the other top teams in the conference) turn into single digit nail-biters. It was especially frustrating this year seeing a team from our conference, who we beat by 25 and 15 in the regular season, win the regional tournament.

Basically, I said all of that to say this: I'm a firm believer in that having a well-planned minute-by-minute daily practice schedule is important. When I was in high school our coach always had a to-the-minute practice schedule and usually made 10-15 copies of it and put them in the locker room for us to look over before practice. In season we spent the last 30 minutes of practice running through our offensive sets dry and against the scout team, and did the same thing with our defense against the scout offense running our upcoming opponents sets and special plays, and ALWAYS had a gameday walk-through.

At the school I'm at now, though, we rarely did those things and never had a gameday walk-through. It has done nothing but reaffirm my belief of the fact that you can NEVER be over-prepared for a game. We were always adequately prepared in high school for our opponent and we had run our late quarter/half/game plays and special situations so much in practice that it was second nature in games. There's been rare occasions where I've been allowed to run a drill or go over something in practice the last two years with a day or two to prepare. I thought I knew enough to just go into the drill and wing-it which was a mistake. I quickly learned that if, as a coach, you can't confidently instruct a drill or go over something with your team, they will tune you out and not get the most out of practice.
    Last edited by KG215; 02-26-2012 at 09:10 PM.

[QUOTE=skan72]We run the Read & React. Easy to modify, put the layers in you want, play to your team's strengths, etc. I also feel it teaches the kids to really be basketball players. They learn the right habits through this offense. Just my 2

Banned

As far as individual skill development and helping players translate all that practice time to real game situations I've really started to get into Taylor Allan's stuff at Basketball Renegades. I love his ideas, for individual development, of micro- and hybrid-drills.

A lot of coaches still preach about being in the gym for hours and hours, putting up 500 shots. Personally, I think it's more about efficiency, game-intensity, and game applicable practice. I don't think, but I may change this opinion as I test out different workouts, that a player needs to be on the hardwood for more than 1.5-2.5 hours a day if they come with a plan and are going at game speed for those 1.5-2.5 hours.

Future D1 Dad

is stretching good...yea or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    is stretching good...yea or nay?

Of course.