Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    JMEWLS
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    People talk about this guy being top 15 and the best C in the game and nonsense like that. He's averaging:

17 pts
    12.5 reb
    1.7 ast
    1.9 blk

To put this into perspective for some of you, Pau Gasol last year averaged:

20.4 ppg
    8.9 rpg
    4.6 ast
    1.9 blk

I mean sh!t, why is everyone annointing this guy a superstar when he hasn't actually DONE IT YET.
    I cant believe what you just said, he's definitely a top 15 player, at worst a top 20player. I wouldn't say he's the top center but he's definitely a top 3 centre. He's arguably the best rebounder in the league, and he's only 21. Only thing he really needs to improve he's scoring game. He's yet to even live up to the expectations made by some, and is showing flashes of what he can potentially be. He's already a great defender, and rebounder he just needs to develope a consistent scoring game. I dunno what your saying, he's obviously one of the best centers in this league, and he can only keep getting better

Dwights really being overhyped by the fans and the media, down the road, I think it might hurt me as if he listens to the hype, maybe it won't motivate him as he may think, "Oh everyone thinks I'm good enough so why try harder". People need to shut it, he's good, but he's not a top 5 PF in the league. Duncan, Brand, Nowitzki, Garnett and take your pick between Bosh, Boozer, Randolph and one can argue Emeka Okafor[averaging a double double along with 3 blocks per].

This is exactly why numbers dont tell the whole story, Dwight has cery few plays called for him, where as pau was the offensive focal point of a decent memphis team. Dwight is a mutant in a league of freaks and his play is only going to improve and isnt exactly rubbish now.
    I completely agree.
    Dwight doesn't get too many touches. Pau, on the other hand, is the focal point.

All of Dwight's baskets come from putbacks and lobs. If he can average 17ppg with the lack of post game he has now, imagine how good he'll be when he develops some good post moves.

JMEWLS
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Penny37
    I completely agree.
    Dwight doesn't get too many touches. Pau, on the other hand, is the focal point.

All of Dwight's baskets come from putbacks and lobs. If he can average 17ppg with the lack of post game he has now, imagine how good he'll be when he develops some good post moves.
    I agree, all he really needs to do if get a good scoring game and he's going to be a complete beast.

Banned

If there's one thing that shouldn't be questioned about the kid it's his rebounding, and yet some people in this thread found a way to do so.

Amazing.

He is without a doubt the best rebounder in basketball. If he played on the Suns he'd be averaging over 15 per without a problem.

I rule the local playground joewait's Avatar

lebron james is way more overrated than dwight howard

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

how many shots does DH get a game, 10? if you think he is OVERRated then how do you view Ben Wallace?

You sir is an idiot no offense.

Dwight is a beast young will only get better.

NBA Superstar

People talk about this guy being top 15 and the best C in the game and nonsense like that. He's averaging:

17 pts
    12.5 reb
    1.7 ast
    1.9 blk

20.4 ppg
    8.9 rpg
    4.6 ast
    1.9 blk

I mean sh!t, why is everyone annointing this guy a superstar when he hasn't actually DONE IT YET.
    eliteballer does not equal eliteposter.

If you are top three at your position it is pretty hard to be overated.

Especially when you are 20 and still filling out and have enormous potential which is starting to be realized.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by joewait
    lebron james is way more overrated than dwight howard

you always get dissed and I could never figure out why (I guess I just glossed over your posts, never really read them). Now I know why.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

bull sh*t

pau is kinda overrated though...

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Not that I expect you to understand, Elite, but sometimes you gotta look beyond stats. For the same reason I always took Howard's side against the Bosh fans when they claimed Bosh to be superior last year-- Dwight Howard has the ridiculous upside that goes beyond his stats.

It's a fact the guy is built like a beast. His athletism is insane. Beside Lebron, there isn't a better physical speciment in the league. People aren't thinking Dwight is gonna be awesome based on 17 and 12. It's because at the age of 18, out of high school, he immediately fit in the league, banging with the vets, outmuscling people, dropped 20/20s at age 18.

If you go by pure stats, why was Lebron so hyped? His high school numbers pale in comparison to Al Jefferson (dude averaged like 40 and 13 with like 7 blocks). Because people saw Lebron in high school, they looked beyond his stats, they saw a guy 6 foot 7, built like a PF but with ball handling ability and court vision at the age of 17. That's what made every scout declare Lebron to be the best high school player in the country, not because of his stats.

Same logic applies to Dwight. I know numbers wise, he's not even on pace with last year's Chris Webber. But it's more than numbers, it's his combination of young age+signs of brilliance on some nights+rare physical specimen+incredible athletism.

If the NBA were to hold a draft right now with every NBA player available, Lebron probably goes #1, and Dwight goes no lower than 5 or 6. Probably higher.

Are there some people seriously claiming that Pau only gets 20ppg because he shoots a lot? Do you realize he shoots almost 60% from the field? He only takes good shots, and if anything he should be taking MORE shots to make his team better.

Pau is the king of efficiency, and Dwight is the king of rebounding.

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

Over/underrated threads are tough because it comes down to - who is overrating, what coluimn, article report, and what is the correct rating.

...but on point, they did a segment on Howard during one ESPN show (not sportscenter or espnnews) may have bee fastbreak - where they asked Kiki Vandweghe who Howard reminds him of from years past (reasonable question that analysts tryto answer all the time). Kiki answers:
    Moses Malone
    Karl Malone and
    David Robinson.

So he is like 3 of the top 12 players of all time? Guys who have comined for 5(or 6) MVPs? That is overrating.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    He was also held to 1pt, 6 rebs, and 6 fouls against the Nets.

He may not be the most overrated player in the game, but I will say the Nets have the most underrated interior D in the game.

Look what they have done to Bosh, Dwight, Curry and others over the past couple of weeks, and really all season and prior seasons.. near the top in fewest points on the paint allowed for the past 3 years.
    co-signed. Absolute truth.

Local High School Star JohnnyBravo5's Avatar

17 pts
    12.5 reb
    1.7 ast
    1.9 blk

20.4 ppg
    8.9 rpg
    4.6 ast
    1.9 blk

Better than any of those stiffs playing center for the Lakers thats for sure.