Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default 2007 Gilbert Arenas video and so on.....

Number 3 for Gilbert. I think he and Jordan are the only two people with 3.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wrGNYCFAgGM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wepi1v

Oh and here is the second one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iUrpTMHjHcg

The first ive not seen in some time. I made it back in about 04 when I was living in Dc and telling people Gilbert was about to be a superstar and being told all the reasons he wasnt worth a straight up trade for Paul Pierce and Ray Allen types. Anyway.....

Yesterday I was playing 2k7 with a friend of mine vs the Wizards. First play Arenas has it from like 28 feet and I double him. Hard. hes got nowhere to go. He swings up and launches a 3 from that far and it misses. My first thought was "This game is realistic as hell". And just like in real life even though it was a terrible terrible shot I thought it would go in because it was Gilbert.

Guy has to have the worst shot selection ever that didnt lead to being benched. Him or Tmac. Both are just so talented they make enough to let those they miss(most of them) be acceptable. A guy like AI doesnt just take terrible shots and miss. He(in some of his philly days) just had to carry a poor offense by taking a lot. Only so many good shots to be taken. A guy like Gilbert can only take 15 shots and manage to have 7 of them be totally absurd and make about 3 of the 7. He can coast for 20 minutes only taking 2 shots in a half and have both of them be 27 foot contested threes.

Probably the most talented player I ever wouldnt want on my team(unless you consider Kobe more talented which might be the case). I respect him in general though. The work ethic most of all. He may in fact work so hard at his game that it begins to be a negative.

I remember once Larry Bird said he worked so hard so when a big shot had to be made he could demand the ball and everyone knew he deserved it because he was most likely to make the shot. Hed worked hardest to be able to make any shot so he deserved the big shot. I think Gilbert might work so hard that he thinks he could(and should try to) make any shot that comes to mind.

Makes him entertaining as hell. But hes probably the least average superstar ever. Feels like he either goes for 38 on 15-25 shooting or 19 on 4-23 shooting. No in between. I remember last season during his hot streak when people started calling him top 5 and some of his fans told me I was stupid to not consider him elite. He had put up like 35 on 50% shooting for some time. My reasoning was that a couple weeks of being great doesnt make you great when you wont keep it up. I was told "Well if he does how is he not elite?". My answer being a simple "He wont...nobody could". And of course after December:

January 28 on 41% shooting and 35 from 3.
    Feb. 27 on 35% shooting and 18% from 3. Not a typo. He averaged 9 threes a game that month and only made 1.6.
    March he picked it up with 29 on 44% shooting.

But of course never got back to that supposed top 5 level.

Got hurt. All that....

Even though I dont think hes elite or that he ever will be...I do respect the arrogance of his game. I like that "**** it" mentality a lot. Lot of my favorites have had it. It ****s him up sometimes but thats just how it is.

Few questions....

You can have Gilbert(for one season to remove the age issue) or any of these players....

Kobe
    Bron
    Wade
    Tmac
    AI
    Melo
    Pierce
    Ray Allen
    VC

How many would you take him over? Yes I know those players arent points. I dont consider Gilbert one either.

Other than Kobe is there anyone in the NBA who when at his very best is a better scorer than Gilbert?

I think we all agree the league could use more players who just speak their minds like him. He said he was gonna opt out after this season didnt he? Have any idea what he wants to happen in order to stay? Finals perhaps? Or is it just a money thing? If he left DC and you could have him on your team for 15 million a season for 5 years would you want your team to do it?

College superstar

Default Re: 2007 Gilbert Arenas video and so on.....

I think Baron Davis has a more absurd shot selection. Great video though as always.

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    I think Baron Davis has a more absurd shot selection. Great video though as always.
    Gilbert Arenas has the worst shot selection in the league. No doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    Well Baron plays on a team where they're suppoed to take crazy shots.

No idea how I forgot Baron. Baron and Arenas are the gods of the "**** it" shot. The kind of shot that you know...they HAVE to know its a bad shot. They know it. but they think "**** it..." and take it anyway. Baron had to make like 70% of his "**** it" shots vs Dallas.

A guy like antione Walker took a lot of threes but many were decent shots. He just wasnt a great shooter. Baron and Arenas just abuse the greenlight they are given. I generally approve of it though.

Learning to shoot layups

Very good video. I enjoyed how, unlike most of your vids, you resisted the urge to put mostly "spectacular" plays like dunks and blocks in favor of showcasing Gilbert's actual game- a lot of pullups and straightforward (in the sense he doesn't juke as much as he just blows by you) drives to the basket. You don't really think of Gil being a super athlete at the guard spot like is pretty common for Wade or whoever, but my God the man is explosive. I don't know about his vert, but this video showed just how fast he can go by someone.

You can have Gilbert(for one season to remove the age issue) or any of these players....

Kobe
    Bron
    Wade
    Tmac
    AI
    Melo
    Pierce
    Ray Allen
    VC

How many would you take him over? Yes I know those players arent points. I dont consider Gilbert one either.
    I'm taking Kobe (considering Gilbert is essentially a smaller, more inconsistent Kobe), Lebron (just causes too many problems for a defense, and is wayyy more unselfish), and Carmelo (a dominant scorer from midrange and the block, and is much more efficient because of it) and Iverson (a more proven version of Arenas) before I take Gilbert, no questions asked.

Tmac and Wade, when playing to their full potential and not injured, probably impact the game more, but I'm leery of Tmacs back and Wade's reckless style. So I guess I'd take Arenas for the health factor.

Only guys on there I flat out wouldn't consider are Pierce, Allen, and Carter.

Other than Kobe is there anyone in the NBA who when at his very best is a better scorer than Gilbert?
    Carmelo. How one of the 2 best scorers in the entire league gets such hate on ISH for imagined character flaws ("HE RAN AWAY IN A FIGHT!" "STOP SNITCHIN!") is beyond me. I think it was Da KO King who said in his random basketball musing threads that Carmelo is probably the best or second best perimeter scorer in the league, and I whole heartedly agree.
    Last edited by srv_fan; 08-20-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Decent playground baller

I'm a huge Wizards fan and have seen almost every Gilbert Arenas game since he came to the Wiz.

When he's on, he's great. When he's off, not so great. But that's on the court. What Gilbert will probably be remembered for is nothing to do with his on court talents. He's going to be remembered for his personality, which is one of a kind in NBA history. His story of being a 2nd round pick and his personality off the court makes him stand out above alot of guys.

I would say his biggest on the court flaw right now beyond shot selection is his defense. He's only 25 years old though, he's probably going to have one of those long, 8-9 year primes.

The big thing with Gil is that I think he's going to develop a huge catalogue of game winning shots over the next few seasons. It wouldn't be surprise me if in a few years he's known as the most clutch player in the league.

Has Gilbert named this upcoming season yet? Last season he dubbed it "the Takeover"

Very good video. I enjoyed how, unlike most of your vids, you resisted the urge to put mostly "spectacular" plays like dunks and blocks in favor of showcasing Gilbert's actual game- a lot of pullups and straightforward (in the sense he doesn't juke as much as he just blows by you) drives to the basket. You don't really think of Gil being a super athlete at the guard spot like is pretty common for Wade or whoever, but my God the man is explosive. I don't know about his vert, but this video showed just how fast he can go by someone.

I believe he could be more spectacular than he tries to be. Ive seen him do some decent dunks. Nice windmill for one. Not a weak double pump looking thing either. Very solid windmill. He dunked all over the Jazz and Pacers. Few other teams. Just doesnt try it often. Id compare him to Deron Williams as an athlete. Lot more athletic than they look if you just watch highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I believe he could be more spectacular than he tries to be. Ive seen him do some decent dunks. Nice windmill for one. Not a weak double pump looking thing either. Very solid windmill. He dunked all over the Jazz and Pacers. Few other teams. Just doesnt try it often. Id compare him to Deron Williams as an athlete. Lot more athletic than they look if you just watch highlights.
    Gil is very athletic, just doest't show it. Her did early in his career with the Warriors. He use to dunk on people on the regular. He would just drive to the middle with that quick first step and smash down on who ever.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Has Gilbert named this upcoming season yet? Last season he dubbed it "the Takeover"
    Didnt he name it "the second coming of the Takeover" or something retarded like that?

Yea he did dunk more as a Warrior. And back then an olympic track coach he worked out with said with proper traiing Arenas could be a legit world class sprinter. Olympic level at least. I knew he was fast but id say that would make him one of the 5-6 fastest in the L. At least back then.

Decent playground baller

T-Mac at his very best is the best scorer in the league. But it's a rarity... and his scoring has dropped off since Orlando.

I dont know. Has Tmac had a 50 point game in the last 2 seasons? Im really wondering. Im sure JVG held him back with the slow it down post first system but still. Id say either 01 or 03 was the best he ever played and that was a long time ago. Every player in the league at their very best(just as scorers) I think it goes:

Kobe
    Arenas
    Tmac or Bron
    Melo/Dirk/Wade
    VC
    Pierce

Not sure where to put AI since he kinda defers to Melo these days.

Something like that. Not exact. But just generally. Melo maybe should be a spot higher. Hard thing to rank. Ive watched Lebron drop 56 but he seemed to be coasting even then. And ive not seen a more impressive stretch of "WTF?" level scoring when it matters than his 48 point damn near 30 in a row game vs the Pistons. Of current players I mean. That was just insane. Tmac I think still has it in him but I dont remember the last time I saw it on that level. That kind of scoring where its obvious the D just doesnt matter and hes gonna score exactly as much as he feels like.

Decent playground baller

Let's compare McGrady's highest scoring game (62) to Kobe's (81). Watch these videos.

McGrady -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnWZ1T7Gk4s (all 62 points)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytfry2VaFGg (highlights)

McGrady made two half court shots during that game that didn't count. TWO. One from beyond half court at 5:14 during the first video. And one from just inside half court at about 0:53 during the second video.

Look at the scoring leaders for the Magic at halftime. McGrady - 28, Juwan Howard - 9, Tyronn Lue - 5, Steven Hunter - 3, Keith Bogans - 2

I don't know how any Lakers fans can complain about the current roster of the Lakers when Lakers fans in general hounded McGrady for years for not going anywhere with the Magic.

Bryant...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRikrksH8es (all 81 points)

Compare WHERE (on the court) these guys scored most of their points. McGrady just flat out has more talent. The thing that seperates Kobe at this point is Kobe's free throw shooting and willingness to attack the basket. McGrady just settles for jumpers all game long, almost every game. Kobe settles as well, but not nearly as bad as McGrady. Kobe attacks the basket more often than McGrady does.

I remember McGrady scoring 20+ consecutive points without another Magic player scoring during a PLAYOFF GAME against the Hornets. When McGrady is in the zone, he is the least stoppable offensive perimeter player in the league. Well... he was.
    Last edited by Shogon Vendetta; 08-20-2007 at 12:27 PM.