Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking back the trade the Pelicans made for Holiday is even more ew.

Now that the Sixers are also going to receive a #10 along with their #3 it looks even worse. If Noel pans out then...

Local High School Star

Default Re: Looking back the trade the Pelicans made for Holiday is even more ew.

Good luck getting points in the paint in a fee years against noel and davis... what could have been.

Default Re: Looking back the trade the Pelicans made for Holiday is even more ew.

The first great move of the Hinckie era. We are excited on the Sixers direction.

Not too early to make that call. Noel was so great this year. And then adding a Doug mc or stauskas.

Really the only way it even still leans toward the spiders is because they hit so well w mcw. Had he not been better than expected theyd be in a tough spot in trying to find a pg all in the name of having a 200 pound big man coming off a knee injury.

Still to be determined who wins long term but it's a lot closer of a trade than most here think

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Whatd holiday do this year?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Looking back?

It was an awful trade from the jump. Been saying it all year.

The Paul trade and then this shit are two of the worst moves ever.

They essentially got negative value for Paul. They ended up getting Gordon/Aminu/Rivers...Gordon is a net positive player, but his contract makes him toxic, Rivers is a bum, and Aminu is nothing special. Stern not only ****ed over the Lakers, but they ****ed over the Pelicans by making them take back a player they didn't need or want.

Then the Pelicans go all in for no reason trying to make the playoffs in one of the best conferences ever...and will be for at least 2 more years. They have ruined the formative years of Davis's career in which he should have been playing with young talent that was going to be around forever while building up draft picks like the Thunder did.

Instead they jumped the gun and went and overpaid for Holiday, Evans, and Gordon....

Good thing for Pelicans fans is that Davis is going to be absolutely great and that when he's really a true beast...all these shit contracts will be coming off the books.

Russel Wilson = GOAT Johnny Jones's Avatar

Holiday is so underrated. Dude a top 3 defender, top 5 rebounder, and a top 7 distributor at the point. Just because of his inefficient scoring he is hated on, yet he had a 52% TS (and it was increasing ) before a terrible 4 game stretch that killed it (he was battleing shin splits in those games, which led to the stress fracture).

Holiday and Evans is no doubt one of the most underrated backcourts in the L too. Their defense is crazy when they play together, and on offense Evans can handle the ball while Holiday cuts/spots up for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Looking back?

It was an awful trade from the jump. Been saying it all year.

The Paul trade and then this shit are two of the worst moves ever.

They essentially got negative value for Paul. They ended up getting Gordon/Aminu/Rivers...Gordon is a net positive player, but his contract makes him toxic, Rivers is a bum, and Aminu is nothing special. Stern not only ****ed over the Lakers, but they ****ed over the Pelicans by making them take back a player they didn't need or want.

Then the Pelicans go all in for no reason trying to make the playoffs in one of the best conferences ever...and will be for at least 2 more years. They have ruined the formative years of Davis's career in which he should have been playing with young talent that was going to be around forever while building up draft picks like the Thunder did.

Instead they jumped the gun and went and overpaid for Holiday, Evans, and Gordon....

Good thing for Pelicans fans is that Davis is going to be absolutely great and that when he's really a true beast...all these shit contracts will be coming off the books.

You have to understand context. Of course in hindsight you can say Gordon/Rivers/Aminu wasn't worth it, but at the time it looked like Gordon was going to be a great player. It looked like some decent pieces for a guy who was basically forcing himself out.

Also, Rivers is not a bum. Dude is good defender and he can penetrate the defense with his quick first step. He also became a great spot up shooter from 3 this year (47%..)

I'm not going to justify Gordon's contract. But here is an exert from a great article about Reke on TBW:

Good Tyreke (the one that comes off the bench with Ryan Anderson or starts with Anthony Davis) is not just good, he is great. Here is the list of NBA players in history to put up 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists on 50% TS%:
    The Tyreke that plays with Ryno/AD is a top 30 player in the NBA. The Tyreke that plays most of his minutes with the Steamer is one of the worst. Monty is too blame for Reke's poor season because any decent coach would have realized that Reke needs a big who can hit a jumpshot at a decent clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Jones

You have to understand context. Of course in hindsight you can say Gordon/Rivers/Aminu wasn't worth it, but at the time it looked like Gordon was going to be a great player. It looked like some decent pieces for a guy who was basically forcing himself out.

Also, Rivers is not a bum. Dude is good defender and he can penetrate the defense with his quick first step. He also became a great spot up shooter from 3 this year (47%..)

I'm not going to justify Gordon's contract. But here is an exert from a great article about Reke on TBW:

The Tyreke that plays with Ryno/AD is a top 30 player in the NBA. The Tyreke that plays most of his minutes with the Steamer is one of the worst. Monty is too blame for Reke's poor season because any decent coach would have realized that Reke needs a big who can hit a jumpshot at a decent clip.
    Dont' need hindsight for me. I said it at the time.

Gordon was never worth it. I said it the day of the trade...he was the worst type of player to get. Have to overpay him to stay...can't let him walk because then you essentially traded Paul for Aminu/Rivers.

It's pure luck that Gordon sat out all year to get the number 1 pick that turned into Davis. That is the other part of things people aren't talking about...if Gordon is healthy they Pelicans win more and might not have gotten the first pick.

It was a terrible trade at the time...

Has Noel played a single game yet?

Dont' need hindsight for me. I said it at the time.

Gordon was never worth it. I said it the day of the trade...he was the worst type of player to get. Have to overpay him to stay...can't let him walk because then you essentially traded Paul for Aminu/Rivers.

It's pure luck that Gordon sat out all year to get the number 1 pick that turned into Davis. That is the other part of things people aren't talking about...if Gordon is healthy they Pelicans win more and might not have gotten the first pick.

It was a terrible trade at the time...
    Not even going to respond to this.

Not even going to respond to this.
    Because it kills you.

Only morons thought eric gordon was going to be a great player...dude is kevin martin.

The Pelicans got literally pennies on the dollar for Paul.

I'll say it again...Eric Gordon is worthless of you...was then and is now. He's not remotely a max level player...but if you didn't pay him that...he's leaving...and you are left with Aminu/Rivers for Paul.

And you can't sell your fans on that.

And then, to make matters worse...you go all in trying to make the playoffs for no reason.

You trade away two top 10 draft picks for another overpaid guard in Holiday? And then sign Evans to a bad contract as well?

All with the hope of making the playoffs and maybe winning 1 series in 3 years...maybe?

It's inept team management and you it makes even less sense because the contracts are all up in a 2 to 3 years now and the team is going to look totally different going forward when Davis is in his true peak/prime.

Of course you aren't responding...you have nothing to say.

Because it kills you.

Only morons thought eric gordon was going to be a great player...dude is kevin martin.

The Pelicans got literally pennies on the dollar for Paul.

I'll say it again...Eric Gordon is worthless of you...was then and is now. He's not remotely a max level player...but if you didn't pay him that...he's leaving...and you are left with Aminu/Rivers for Paul.

And you can't sell your fans on that.

And then, to make matters worse...you go all in trying to make the playoffs for no reason.

You trade away two top 10 draft picks for another overpaid guard in Holiday? And then sign Evans to a bad contract as well?

All with the hope of making the playoffs and maybe winning 1 series in 3 years...maybe?

It's inept team management and you it makes even less sense because the contracts are all up in a 2 to 3 years now and the team is going to look totally different going forward when Davis is in his true peak/prime.

Of course you aren't responding...you have nothing to say.
    Holy ****. This isn't even remotely true. Eric Gordon at the time of the trade was scoring 22 PPG at 22 y/o. He was solid defesively as well. He was thought of as a young star. And I never said it was a good trade. I said at the time, it was decent pieces for a guy was forcing himself out.

And I love you how you completely ignore the part about Evans. I'm not going to explain Holiday because I did that with my first post in this thread. You are a simple minded bigot.

Holy ****. This isn't even remotely true. Eric Gordon at the time of the trade was scoring 22 PPG at 22 y/o. He was solid defesively as well. He was thought of as a young star. And I never said it was a good trade. I said at the time, it was decent pieces for a guy was forcing himself out.

And I love you how you completely ignore the part about Evans. I'm not going to explain Holiday because I did that with my first post in this thread. You are a simple minded bigot.
    hahaaha...bigot?

dude...you don't get it. it's not just about gordon...it's about the circumstances of the team.

and no, anyone that knew their shit knew Gordon had not done enough to earn the contract that was coming. the pelicans ****ed themselves with that trade.

Gordon's best year;

22/3/4 56.6% TS

Kevin Martin from 08 through 11;

23/4/3 59.8% TS

Again...he's Kevin Martin at his peak so far

It was a horrendous trade at the time. It's not my fault you or others think Gordon was worthy of the max that the Pelicans would end up having to pay.

Let me ask you this...would you rather have paid Gordon what you did...or let him walk for nothing?

Sorry, Holiday is not worth the 6th and 10th picks...LOL...just no. Especially, again, in the circumstances of a team like the Pelicans that should not be trying to push for the playoffs. They should have adopted the OKC path and loaded up with Nole and another high draft picks this year...and saved the cap space to make moves when they are ready.

That is why Evans was such a shit signing....what is the point even if he's good? So you guys can have the 9th best record in the conference?

It's not even that the Pelicans are bad...if they were in the East I would support these moves. But they aren't in the East. So I ask again...what was the goal of the Gordon/Evans/Holiday experiment? Is it to make the playoffs? Is it to try and make noise in the playoffs?

What's the ceiling of this team before all the contracts are up?

You telling me you wouldn't have rather taken Noel...gotten a top 7 or so pick this year. Moved Gordon even if you only get 50 cents on the dollar...and build around Davis/Noel/Top 7 pick and other young players while retaining tons of cap flexibility to make major moves starting next year?

And like I said, Gordon missing the entire year was luck. If he plays...he adds wins and they might not get Davis. So that part of the bottoming out doesn't even help you...it wasn't by design.

The first trade was so much better. Dragic, Martin, and a first round pick. Then they would have gotten Scola and Odom...who they had plans to flip for young assets/picks. Did you notice that Scola just fetched Plumlee and Green from the Pacers? Did you notice that the Mavs gave up a pick for Odom? These guys were still assets....your GM even came out and said he was planning to move them and already had a deal in place with, I think it was Brooklyn, to move Odom.

That initial trade could have netted them something like Dragic, Martin, 2 first round picks, a couple young players, and a 2nd round pick.

Now, if Martin sits out all year like Gordon did (again, pure luck here) then they wouldn't have been any better and would have had roughly the same chance to get Davis.

You'd have more picks, you would have been worse the last 2 years so you'd get higher picks. You'd have more assets and a far brighter future with players on the roster that will actually be on the roster long term.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-23-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Well I can defend DMAVS being against this deal the day it was made. I remember arguing with him about the deal not being bad for the Pelicans. Pretty much what he has been typing in here and other threads recently that I've come across? He said back then. You probably could find the thread if you did a search it as well.

Hopefully Sixers dont screw up the #10 pick. I would like a legitimate NBA starter there.