Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: NBA 2K13 Discussion

This guy's quote is why I'm going with Elite this year.

"Awesome....they are re-adding features from previous 2K games that were taken out for no apparent reason. I'm so stoked.

First major announcement about 2k13 is something that required 0% innovation. Just more reason to NOT pre-order this game."

I mean this online association is so flawed too. 2K12 might be the most overrated game of all time. I used to LOVE to play Live nonstop and earlier 2K games but now they are so dull.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 06-01-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Don't buy either game. Elite still looks weak, and all 2K is doing is repackaging 2K11 and selling it to you again for $60.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    This guy's quote is why I'm going with Elite this year.

"Awesome....they are re-adding features from previous 2K games that were taken out for no apparent reason. I'm so stoked.

First major announcement about 2k13 is something that required 0% innovation. Just more reason to NOT pre-order this game."

I mean this online association is so flawed too. 2K12 might be the most overrated game of all time. I used to LOVE to play Live nonstop and earlier 2K games but now they are so dull.
    To be fair, I don't remember 2K ever really unveiling anything of merit and note at the beginning of June, even in their up years. This time is usually reserved for showing a glimpse of the next year's game (which at this point still looks like the last year's game) while mentioning some new, relatively worthless implementation (Wii capability, cover athlete, Move controls).

The All-Star Weekend announcement was actually a little more substance than I was expecting at this point. I was planning on 2K announcing the game for the PlayStation Vita or something. And truly, I don't see this as re-introducing the same feature they removed before. The outdoors dunk contest and 3pt. shootout were quite lame in terms of setting and execution (street courts with running street MC and barrels and speakers to jump over). Moving these contests more toward the real life All-Star Weekend is a big step up in my opinion, if done right of course.

My only issue with the ASW report is the fact it'll be available to some users but not all users. This leads me to believe it will not be tied into Associations, My Player, or Seasons, which reduces its coolness by a magnitude of five.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    Don't buy either game. Elite still looks weak, and all 2K is doing is repackaging 2K11 and selling it to you again for $60.
    I've accepted imperfection in my basketball games for years. With that, I was still able to extract much enjoyment out of them. I can't really see not buying a new ball game so avoiding both seems out of the question. I loved NBA 2K11 and in fact, even with its pocks, I'm still playing NBA 2K12 (classic teams turn replay value into a bottomless pit).

My real hope for 2K13 is to see defensive ability and player movement shifted back in the direction of 2K11. It seems 2K12 stepped away from what they do best in order to try to meet user's demands of removing contact animations. What they created was a lot of cockroaching, slipping and sliding, and many user defenders accidentally ending up twirling around offensive ballhandlers. I have faith this issue was clear enough it'll be addressed.

And in terms of online connectivity, I am also hopeful the additional year to work on their new online code was enough to finally get most of their ducks in a row (http://www.hoopsgaming.com/showthrea...-Gone-Forever).
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-02-2012 at 09:11 AM.

NBA Superstar

Releasing game footage at this time of year always looks more like the previous year's iteration than it does something new, so the 2K13 footage I saw definitely still looks like NBA2K12.5 at this point.

With that said, the dunk contest threw me for a major loop. Have you ever wondered what Guitar Hero would be like if instead of the buttons controlling musical notes, they controlled the process of a slam dunk? Nope, me either, and for good reason. However, apparently 2K thought that'd be the best way to put together a dunk contest for 2K13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A1wlCcJ4f4#t=1m48s

I do not support this.

But again, to go back to the actual gameplay, I would definitely take any footage with a grain of salt. The 2K guy surely blew a lot of smoke, but he's being truthful in saying they're right in the middle of the development cycle, so things are still very much in progress.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

What the hell? So now there is no challenge of timing your jump, getting enough space, or moving the analog sticks accordingly? Bullshit.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
    What the hell? So now there is no challenge of timing your jump, getting enough space, or moving the analog sticks accordingly? Bullshit.
    Yeah, I cannot see how there could possibly be any true feel to "dunking" with a setup like this. What a travesty.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

i dont mind the dunk contest because all the other versions of the dunk contest are terrible.

gameplay looked meh...i hope they do something with the crowd/announcer area and get rid of that annyoing glitch where players walk back to the bench extremely slowly.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    i dont mind the dunk contest because all the other versions of the dunk contest are terrible.
    I thought NBA Live 2005's dunk contest was great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGelnWNStk. And to me the difference is, in Live '05, players had some sort of control over what type of dunk they executed and how they executed it (one foot takeoff, different arm motions, etc.). 2K seems to be going the way of. . . well, I actually don't know what the hell they're doing with the dunk contest.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-05-2012 at 12:17 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I thought NBA Live 2005's dunk contest was great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGelnWNStk. And to me the difference is, in Live '05, players had some sort of control over what type of dunk they executed and how they executed it (one foot takeoff, different arm motions, etc.). 2K seems to be going the way of. . . well, I actually don't know what the hell they're doing with the dunk contest.
    One of my favorite sports games of all time and I hated that mode.

Guitar Hero dunk contest, aka streamlined to the ****ing max. And the SAME gameplay issues are still in 2K13.

I'm done with this franchise.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    I'm done with this franchise.
    I know I said this once already, but gameplay changes are never noticeable at this time of year. At this point, a couple of animations will pop out at the user, but the real under-the-hood stuff won't be seen until September. For reference, this is what "2K12" looked like last year at this time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6yTNL4idQQ

At that point, it was 2K11 with some different animations. The changes made (a number of them for the worst) did not become noticeable until a couple of months later. They're literally right in the middle of making this game and it's nowhere near complete. That doesn't mean it's going to be great. Their changes might suck and make the game worse. I'm just saying it's way, way too early to tell. Nothing solid's ever been able to be drawn from 2K basketball games in early June.

The only thing I took from the video is apparently the Dunk Contest is going to be the worst thing ever. That much we could see.

Edit: Take this for what it's worth, but a 2K developer on the non-dunk contest portions shown:
    Don't sweat the gameplay vid, guys. It's way early and I can assure you that clip isn't representative of what you'll see in October. We have lots of interesting stuff to announce on the gameplay front and I know you're going to love the upgrades. You're just going to have to trust us for now.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-05-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    One of my favorite sports games of all time and I hated that mode.

GTFO

Future D1 Dad

the guitar hero-like controls of the dunk contest is dumb. when i read the title of the video i watched, i thought it was a joke.

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

I'm done with 2k. Enough already.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abd El-Krim
    I'm done with 2k. Enough already.
    Same. NBA Live will save us I hope .