Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star LakersLaLaLand's Avatar

Default Greatest of All-Time PRE-Jordan?

Lets get a serious topic on the board. Maybe ISH can save some face with real conversation not mentioning either of the 2 current HYPE BEASTS.

Pre-Jordan, He was the GOAT?

Kareem
    Wilt
    Shaq
    Dr J
    Magic
    Hakeem
    Oscar Robertson
    Russell
    Duncan
    Bird
    Moses
    West
    Elgin Baylor
    Bob Cousy
    Mikan
    George Gervin
    Pistol Pete
    Rick

Please add any names I may have forgotten. Or you feel deserves to be in the conversation.

Side Note: Watch "The Hangover". Great comedy about a bachelor party in vegas. Tons of laughs from beginning to end. No joke. If you don't laugh multiple times I will refund your money. Please deposit all complaints in your colon.
    Last edited by LakersLaLaLand; 06-06-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Default Re: Greatest of All-Time PRE-Jordan?

Back when Wilt played people say it was a weak era. That is what I think is pathetic. Now days you have 30 teams so the talent level is watered down. Can you imagine 12 teams being in the NBA today. You'd have teams with Duncan, Kobe, and Artest. Dwight and Wade and Bosh. Ray Allen would be coming off the bench.

Now imagine back in the 50's. That means that Wilt was going up against the best of the best night in and night out. What we know is that he averaged 50 points a game in a season. Do you realize how unbelievable that is against the best of the best in your day?

There aren't players today grabbing 30 rebounds a game or scoring 50 PPG. Wilt was the best before Jordan. Then Kareem.

Learning to shoot layups

'Nique

Pre and post Jordan GOAT: Bill Russell

11 Championships
    Defensive beast
    Coach on and off the court
    Sacrifice for the team

College star

Kareem was and still is the GOAT in my book. Even moreso when you include college and high school

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

College superstar

Kareem or Wilt. Either of them may actually be better than Jordan anyway. Does Jordan shut down the paint? No. Does he grab huge amounts of boards? No. I'd probably take Kareem over Wilt just for the FT% actually. It's too bad he wasted a large amount of his prime on non-contending teams tho.
    Last edited by stephanieg; 06-06-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Back when Wilt played people say it was a weak era. That is what I think is pathetic. Now days you have 30 teams so the talent level is watered down. Can you imagine 12 teams being in the NBA today. You'd have teams with Duncan, Kobe, and Artest. Dwight and Wade and Bosh. Ray Allen would be coming off the bench.

Now imagine back in the 50's. That means that Wilt was going up against the best of the best night in and night out. What we know is that he averaged 50 points a game in a season. Do you realize how unbelievable that is against the best of the best in your day?

There aren't players today grabbing 30 rebounds a game or scoring 50 PPG. Wilt was the best before Jordan. Then Kareem.
    Let's not forget that there were no private jets, extreme racism/segregation in some areas, playing in Chuck Taylors, lack of personal trainers and nutritionalists etc, staying just regular hotel rooms.....

I hate that "weak era" argument, too

I am Chris Wilcox

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07

That's because you're assuming that the talent level in the 50's was equal to the talent level today, which is very flawed logic.

Now, I'm not saying it was a weak era. But let's look at this with at least a tiny bit of knowledge, logic and brains.

Wilt was a monster, no doubt about that. He was way before his time and dominated his era. We cannot assume that the talent back then was way worse, way better or equal to the talent of today. Just because of his domination.

Your logic is flawed, because you assume that the talent level was equal back then, as it is today.

Back then, all the players were subjected to the same health benefits, including weight training, fitness training, diets. Which, back then, were not that great. Just like how all the players today have access to some of the best training facilities and nutrionists the world has to offer.

If we insert any player from any era into another era, he would also be subjected to those same conditions. So we cannot assume that Wilt would dominate today, based on his production in his era, because if he played today, he would also have access to all the same facilities that are available today, that were not available back then.

As far as I am concerned, you're a retard if you think that Wilt would either completely dominate today's game or he would be a complete dud. It doesn't matter which side you fall on, because if you think either of those things, the chances are, you're full of sh!t.

Very good NBA starter

why do you have duncan in a pre-jordan argument?

Decent college freshman

pre jordan? chamberlain. post jordan? chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by Shep
    pre jordan? chamberlain. post jordan? chamberlain
    Chamberlain isn't even a top 5 player of all time.

Bird is the correct answer.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Chamberlain isn't even a top 5 player of all time.

Bird is the correct answer.
    bird isn't even top 9 all time. jordan isn't top 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shep
    bird isn't even top 9 all time. jordan isn't top 2
    That's fine, though I'm glad you agree now that both are better then Wilt.